Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Shifting through the gears unnecessarily.

Who said you have to use them to "shift through the gears"? I used mine just to hold a lower gear while going through twisty roads so you could blast out of the corner. Or to force it to stay in 5th gear to avoid a downshift. I hardly ever started out in manual mode and shifted all the way through the gears. That's why I said it wasn't a substitute for a manual at all. It's just an automatic with more precise control. Like the old PRND321 but with more selections and no automatic upshifts.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    Most middle-aged people are more likely to be experienced with driving MTs since they were more pervasive 20-30 years ago.

As to paddle shifters, they came on my car. I wouldn't pay extra for them as an option. I have used them a few times. First was just to get familiar. After that, I've used them to move to a lower gear in advance of passing. Beyond that, I let the AT do it's thing. I figure the engineers are smarter than I when it comes to the ideal gear at any given speed.

As to the pickup thing, well, I better not go there. One simply wonders if they're compensating.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    edited March 2010
    I thought you were gunna get a Forte?? You change your mind like my Fiance changes shoes

And get a load a this. Now I'm driving with my wife up to Elko, NV, for a job interview on Monday. That is an isolated mining town in NE Nevada that has a need for a Certified Respiratory Therapist. And things in little 'ole Willcox, AZ, at the hospital there are staying the same. Too much so for the both of us. My wife worked in Willcox at the same hospital I do. She already quit so she needs a new job, too. I still have my job but will turn in my resignation next workweek. I'm waiting to get my new job first.

My wife may be interviewing or at least talking to someone about a job in a nursing home's kitchen there in Elko. So our lives are gonna be a' changin' real quickly here.

The point I am heading to here is that Elko is a snowy, cold place that has long winters. I will take the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS up there with us but I don't know for how long. It will give me a chance to see how the car does in the snow and ice, that is for sure.

We'll be going over Hoover Dam and of course, I'm gonna take the wife to Lost Wages on the way up to Elko. Duh! :blush:

And, ta keep it 2.0 Midsize here, I still can't get one of these Japanese midsize sedans in 2.4L 185hp 6-speed GTS form out of my mind. Humm.

2010 Suzuki Kizashi

One of the reviewers on Edmunds of the new Suzuki Kizashi says the midsize sedan handles the snow well. So there's my excuse to get a new 2010 Suzuki Kizashi, right? Right.

That is the one I want, right there. Same color, Platinum Silver Metallic. And the one pictured here is the GTS, I can tell because it has the painted alloys the GTS gets. Cool. Icy cool.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

edited March 2010

This new plug-in hybrid from Mitsubishi called the PX-MiEV might fit the bill better in snowy Elko, NV. This SUV has AWD.

The PX-MiEV has come equipped with with its S-AWC all-wheel-drive system (a similar setup is in the Lancer Evolution), but uses two electric motors -- one at each axle -- for power. The PX-MiEV has an approximately 30-mile range in EV mode, but a 1.6-liter I-4 can serve as a generator for longer trips. If those journeys also require higher speeds or passing maneuvers, the four-banger can directly power the front wheels -- something that can't be said for the Chevrolet Volt.

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Snowy? Cold?

Average of 28 inches of snow per year and average high of 37 in Jan...that's neither snowy, nor cold. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elko,_Nevada#Geography_and_climate
    well, compared to the hot sun of Willcox, Elko is cold. Very cold.

Today the forecast is 50 degrees for a high and it is currently 16 degrees. That is cold, bro.

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Compared to Arizona it is. ;)
    If those journeys also require higher speeds or passing maneuvers, the four-banger can directly power the front wheels -- something that can't be said for the Chevrolet Volt.

1. That's because the Volt is an EV, not a hybrid. EREV, actually: Electric Range-Extended Vehicle. It only carries a gas engine to keep the battery going after it's 40 mile all-electric range.

2. The Volt survived the Pikes Peak challenge so I doubt there are any situations that would have a need to supplement the electric motor with the ICE.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    We shall see, that is if it ever hits production. A lot good a concept car does going up Pikes Peak if they can't get it onto dealer lots.
    edited March 2010

Are you as interested in this Mitsubishi PX-MiEV as I am? This one would do us right in Elko, NV. I am shortly going to find out how our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS does over there in the Great Nevada Basin area.

But the PX-MiEV is a big, modern looking SUV that looks really well-designed. I am really interested in the "green" attributes of this larger-than-Outlander new SUV from Mitsubishi.

Enough on the PX-MiEV, this is a Midsize Sedans 2.0 thread.

When it gets into the 50s that is shorts weather around here :D

(for the younger set, not myself...though it is tennis weather for me)
    edited March 2010
    just where do you live, anyway? North somewhere?

According to what it says there, those are prototypes for the second model year, 2012. The first Volts are supposed to be for sale this fall as 2011s.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    At least in the new Sonata, if you hit it twice it skips one gear and goes right to the next (i.e. if you are in 3rd, hit the + shifter twice, you go right to 5th.)
  • I'm currently in the market for a 2-3 year old midsized family sedan for around $13,000 - $15,000 before the extended warranty and taxes. I had the 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 2008 Honda Accord LX, and 2008 Ford Fusion SEL on my list, though I'm still flexible as to model and engine now. I got to test drive the Sonata and Fusion today- both with the V6 and in my price range. It was the GLS and SEL model, respectively.

After reading online reviews of these vehicles, I was expecting them to feel quite different from one another, but after test driving them, I found they were far more similar than I expected. I only got to drive on a relatively straight, yet bumpy highway though, so I don't think I got to assess each car as well as I could have. Still, most of my driving is on the highway, so I guess it doesn't matter as much.

I'm coming out of a 1998 Neon, so needless to say, I found driving both cars quite a pleasure. Some of my impressions:

- I found the Sonata's driver's seat more comfortable than the Ford's despite the Ford having power lumbar support. The Sonata's seat was nice and fairly firm, which I liked.

- The Hyundai and Ford rode fairly similarly, though I think the Sonata was just a bit more absorbant.

- Despite having the smaller engine, the Ford's throttle response was more instant, and I liked that. However, the engine was noticeably louder and not as smooth as the Sonata's.

- I didn't really get a great chance to see how well the vehicles handle, but the Sonata's steering was firmer than I remembered it being in the 2006 model I tested a few years back. Sure, it's not as firm or natural-feeling as in my 1998 Neon or the Ford Fusion, but as with the ride quality, I guess I didn't notice as big a difference in the steering as I expected.

- The Sonata's interior was far nicer than the Fusion's. My mom came with me on the test drive and noted that the Fusion's interior reminded her of my 1998 Dodge Neon's in that it was fairly chintzy, and I'd have to agree.

Of the two, I prefer the Sonata a bit more. It was a 2009 GLS with a V6, had 9,000 miles, and was $14,676. However, after taxes and the extended warranty, the price rose to a little over $18,000, which seemed very high, definitely above what I'm able to pay. The extended warranty was only an estimate, though it was valued at $2,000. I know we could have done much, much better, but my main goal was just to get a feel for the two vehicles and have a rough idea of the car-buying process.

I think the 2008 Honda Accord LX would be my most desired car of the group of cars I'm considering because I'm going to have to keep the car for about 5 years, and it's the newest design of the bunch. I've seen some on Carsoup that have around 35-40k miles for just under $15,000, and I'm just fine with that mileage since I don't drive that much. So I'll test drive an '08 Accord LX and if I can't afford that, I'll try out an '07 to see how it compares with the Sonata.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    I saw an ad for the last of the 2010 Sonatas for 14.5k. Why not go for one of those?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    edited March 2010
    For sure! Also, for the same money as a slightly used Accord LX one can get a 2009 Sonata GLS with the power seat and moonroof package--much more equipment than the Accord LX, and with a longer bumper-to-bumper warranty than the Accord's before the cost of an extended warranty.
    Tell me, what is your source of information that says the Volt won't ship on time?
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    Hyundai is offering thousands of dollars in rebates on their 2010/2009 Sonata models, if you are seriously considering paying $18K I'd see what you could negotiate a new 2009 Sonata GLS V6 down to. The MSRP is only like $23K, and Hyundai is giving 5K in rebates, if you got the dealer to give you another $2500 you'd be at the price you are looking for and driving a new one.

Also, that extended warranty sounds like a ripoff - It was only $1200 on the new Sonata, how are they charging $2000 for a 2009? On this site they have the 2010 GLS V6 for $15,815, at least you could print it out and use it to negotiate with your dealer. http://cars.overstock.com/configurator.html?makeId=2235&modelId=443&upfrontPrici- ng=Y