Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    If you don't want to even consider the car that is considered by the likes of Edmunds.com and Car & Driver to be the best in this class, that's your prerogative. And your money.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    I got 18's on my Hyundai :-p how much bigger do you need on a sedan? They are not bargain cars anymore
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    No. I think the sonata was built for "greenies",

No, the Sonata was built to pass government regulations going into effect for 2015 models. Hyundai is trying to get ahead of the curve, and be the first to meet the new CAFE standards for bragging rights ( I guess). But I know what you mean. Much of the "green" stuff is just a scam.

A lot of hard core 6cyl users are liking the Sonata's i4, saying it has plenty of power. You should have took one for a drive.
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    edited March 2010
    My 2006 Ford Fusion SEL V6 now has 55,317 miles. Not one problem. No rattles, no squeaks, solid as the first day I drove it off the lot. One thing has popped up. At about 65MPH there is a slight wind noise coming from the right side of the windshield. Radio has to be off to even notice. So far so good. I still enjoy driving the car also. Put Ford on your list of test drives.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    at Hyundai website. 274hp projected and 22cty/34hwy mpg estimated for the new Sonata turbo. No torque numbers posted. A lot more HP than I would have thought and pretty impressive. Wonder if premium will be required.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Posts: 337
    edited March 2010
    269lb ft torque! and no premium required! yeay~~

but no manual transmission.. :(

http://jalopnik.com/5505977/2011-hyundai-sonata-turbo-274-hp-34-mpg-no-manual
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230

Click me!

I'm glad to see Suzuki be so excited with the reception of the Kizashi, but I haven't seen any out on the road yet, unless they have dealer plates...
  • ingvaringvar Posts: 205
    Agree, I don't care who build a car, I care about how car drives. I use to drive lexus as a daily car, now I'm driving subaru. I love my subaru better than lexus.
    More horses than the 3.3L V6 in the previous Sonata, and much better fuel economy (nearly the same as the 2.4L engine). NOW we know why Hyundai isn't offering a V6 in the 2011 Sonata.

I read an article last night about the upcoming 3 Series redesign. It noted the inline 6 would still probably be offered, but also turbo 4's. Turbo 4's are also slated for the next-gen 5 Series. Hyundai is ahead of the curve. Let's see if Honda and Toyota keep up when they introduce their next-gen mid-sizers in a couple of years.
    Yep, Suzuki is so proud of its new Kizashi it didn't even have an exhibit at one of the largest auto shows in the nation (Twin Cities). Good way to get the word out on a new design. :P
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    edited March 2010
    Well that's not my take on my Lexus vs my Subaru, but to each their own. I will say it bothers me less when the Subaru gets dinged than the Lexus...so for that I love the Subaru more. :shades
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    Come to think of it, they didn't have one that I saw at the CAS either. Chevy didn't have the Volt either, which is why I thought it wasn't coming any time soon. What I did see at the CAS was a lot of broken and missing parts on a lot of the cars. People sure are careless.
    NOW we know why Hyundai isn't offering a V6 in the 2011 Sonata.

I think we knew the reason before(CAFE) but now we know just how well they have addressed it and how good of a decision it was. The HP addicts were crying in their beer. Now they can wipe away those tears.

Hyundai seems to have the knack for quickly addressing the marketplace, decisive and adaptable. Not traits historically attributable to auto manufacturers. Hope they keep improving in quality or at least don't take their eye off the ball and let quality fall. They really are quite interesting to watch.
    edited March 2010
    Kind of funny they come out with a new "Sport" derivitive that is cosmetic only. What, are people already tired of the styles? Maybe they will sell one now. I kind of like it but they need to do something to generate sales and I don't think this is it.
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 417
    So, disadvantages in owning a turbo vehicle? Sonata is on my short list along with the Fusion and Altima, and the turbo is intriguing. 275+ horses would be quite nice, but what is the trade off? Louder? More likely to need repairs? Anything?
    Are you talking about the Chicago Auto Show? If so, you must have missed them.. Volt was there too.

2010 SUZUKI KIZASHI: On exhibit for the first time at a Chicago Auto Show is Suzuki’s new flagship vehicle, the 2010 Kizashi (pronounced "Kee-Zah-Shee").

People aren't just careless, some are downright destructive.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    edited March 2010
    275+ horses would be quite nice, but what is the trade off? Louder? More likely to need repairs? Anything?

Turbos aren't necessarily louder than their naturally aspirated counterparts, although some of the noises will be different (turbo spooling up, blow-off valve, etc.). Reliability is a BIG concern for me at this point, since IIRC Hyundai is relatively new to the turbocharging game, and although I'm sure that Hyundai has done everything possible to make it reliable over the long run, only time and experience can tell whether or not they actually will be.

Gas mileage will also be only solved by time and experience, since in my exposure to turbocharging, in order to really get the advertised power, your foot needs to be in the throttle, and you need to keep the revs up, lowering fuel economy in the process. I'd love to see some real-world mileage figures before signing up for one. And although I don't doubt the 34 MPG that Hyundai advertises, I'm sure the turbos aren't contributing much (if anything) to achieve it.
    edited March 2010
    I share your concern on reliablility but the 10yr/100k powertrain warranty is calming to a degree. I'm pretty tired of a car by that time anyway.

Don't know exactly the methodology that the EPA uses to derive the city/hwy numbers but I assume there's some hard acceleration involved to mimic "real world". From what I've seen since 2008, the EPA numbers are pretty accurate for the normally aspirated engines. Maybe some of the other forums like Saab, VW and Suburu have some insight on turbo real world mpg vs. EPA.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    edited March 2010
    Hyundai is relatively new to the turbocharging game, and although I'm sure that Hyundai has done everything possible to make it reliable over the long run, only time and experience can tell whether or not they actually will be.

I'm sure the turbocharger itself is made by the one of the 3 or 4 turbo manufacturers worldwide. AFAIK, nobody makes their own turbos, but if anyone has the expertise to do so, Hyundai does.

Turbocharged engines may benefit from synthetic oil, IMHO 1 of the only legitimate uses for synthetic.

Extra heat is produced in the exhaust area, so extra shielding and cooling schemes may be used.

I know all this because I have used turbo diesel equipment.