Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,707
    The only real problem that I see with the car is.. front wheel drive like virtually every last car out of Japan. The ad on their site is comparing themselves shamelessly to Mercedes and BMW, and calling it a luxury sport sedan.

Um.. no. Nice midsize sedan, but not close to the major players. Now, the real killer deal out there in that segment is the new Genesis sedan. The coupe is a steal, and if you can live with 2 less doors, just get it instead over the Suzuki.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    I think almost everyone chose #1, why do you keep posting comparison pictures of the Sukuzi Kizashi? It has it's strong points, but having a better looking exterior than the new Sonata is definitely not one of them.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Posts: 303
    edited April 2010
    The real problem with the car is that they have made a "sports sedan" with 180 HP.. that is not a sports sedan. Anyone shopping in that segment could just save themselves some money and get a Mitsubishi Lancer or something, they are close to the same size anyways.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,707
    I was trying to be kind, but, yeah, it really reminds me of the type of worthless(other word comes to mind) marketing that Kia used to do back when they first started.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Posts: 216
    That might be the most boring looking, round econobox I've ever seen. The red interior highlights are gross.

They should stick to motorcycles.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Thinking straight, or just thinking at all, I'd take the Sonata. Subjectively, it offers better styling and a stronger brand image. Objectively it offers more room, better power, better MPG, and a much wider dealer network.

For me the choice would be pretty clear, as the above-average looking Hyundai appears the better buy over the completely average-looking Kizashi.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    edited April 2010
    Come on, I want an enencumbered response by Metallica's pseudo-rock or Dennis Rodman's tats. I want a response of intelligence. Think.

Actually, it appears that you want everyone to agree with you--thus you continue to badger the rest of the forum with the same question and the same pictures, over and over and over again. You won't rest until you have been proven right, about something that has no right answer. That's the only response you'll consider intelligence.

Jeez, give it a rest, will you?
  • midas69midas69 Posts: 118
    I agree, that interior is FUGLY.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Well, I liked the looks of the Kizashi better, but now I am starting to question my judgement.

First of all, I already had to question the opinion of anyone who "luved" the Kia Sephia. While I did like the looks of that car, as soon as I actually got in one and drove it, I realized it was terrible.

Now, I find I am agreeing with someone who posts things like "I want an enencumbered response by Metallica's pseudo-rock or Dennis Rodman's tats". :sick:
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    First, many thanks for keeping the pics right-sized for the forum. I didn't have to use Adblock to block too-wide images. Of course, Edmunds could make the image width problem go away if they would simply move their menus from the right to the left, but until their web developers better understand UI design we're stuck with what we have.

Second, as a satisfied Hyundai owner (wife has an '01 Elantra) I have a bias towards Hyundai products.

That said, I agree with thegraduate's comments. The Sonata has better power & better fuel economy in a larger package. That larger package should mean better passenger/cargo flexibility when needed.

Performance-wise, I shrug. They're both adequate. The Kizashi may be more fun in the twisties but in my daily driving life I would have few opportunities to put that to the test. Marketing statements aside, at least until the turbo Sonata debuts neither would seriously be considered a sports sedan by the public. Sporty, perhaps, but not sports.

Regarding the brands, Suzuki's reputation has not been seen as improving that I'm aware of, whereas Hyundai's generally has been getting better every year for the past decade. Hyundai has been growing; Suzuki shrinking.

I have few concerns about buying from a smaller brand (I bought an Outlander a few months ago) as long as I think the brand is here for the long haul. Frankly, I'm not about Suzuki's ability to survive. Five years from now they may be the next Isuzu.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    OK, the first few were cute, but really, we're now duplicating content already in the Kizashi discussion. I can understand how a person becomes obsessed with vehicles (um... that's most of us, eh?), but let's not pull the overkill switch in here.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dash5dash5 Posts: 417
    Well putting aside the fact that the poster is intentionally going overboard....

The Kizashi looks nice from the back, ok from the side and awful from the front. So it's a butterface car. I think the interior looks solid though, not bad. Purely based on aesthetics the Sonata crushes it though. No two ways about it. That silver looks great.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Living in the land where there is no snow and where an Infinity G37 costs less to own and maintain than a Toyota Camry I see your point. But for the rest of us living in climates where there were some major snowstorms the Genesis really isn't a steal. And, please, don't even start with the snow tires stuff.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    This past winter has turned me off owning another RWD sedan - it was our 3rd snowiest winter on record, and my car was a no-go for days, and once, weeks, at a time. Studies can tell me they're just fine, and some of the vehicles are pretty tempting, but right now RWD is a dealbreaker for me.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Purely based on aesthetics the Sonata crushes it though. No two ways about it.

C'mon, that is just a silly statement. Of course there are many "ways" when it come to aesthetics. It is possible for a human (at least one, me) to look at that Sonata and think: "eeew, yuck, I don't like the looks of that at all".
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    Kinda makes you wonder how people ever were able to get around in the winter before 1963 or so! It's all technique, if you know how to do it, it's really not a problem. And yes, if you live in a snowy area, you should be using snow tires.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I didn't own my first FWD car until 1985 (Civic)... and that was when I lived in TX. Before that, I drove for over 10 years in MN winters in RWD cars--no ABS, no traction control, no M+S tires. Maybe a sandbag in the trunk. More recently, I owned a 328Ci and found winter driving no problem at all, especially with its ABS and traction control. Now, if I lived in a rural area, it would be a different story. I'd probably drive a Subaru.
  • j2jj2j Posts: 147
    "The 2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport comes out in August of 2010 as a 2011 model. Nice looking hindquarters, huh? And those new wheels designed for the Sport are working just fine for me, too."

The hindquarters are OK (tho, a bit too bulbous); the problem is the front fascia which is bland bordering on ugly (too bad the front of the production model looks nothing like the gorgeous concept).

Anyway, by all accounts the Kizashi is a fun drive, but it is a tweener w/ regard to size - not quite fitting in either the compact or mid-size categories.
  • midas69midas69 Posts: 118
    Kinda makes you wonder how people ever were able to get around in the winter before 1963 or so! It's all technique, if you know how to do it, it's really not a problem. And yes, if you live in a snowy area, you should be using snow tires.

There are many things we were able to survive without that I wouldn't want to live without. Things such as the telephone, airplanes, the Internet and dare I say cars themselves. Mankind survived before their advent. That doesn't mean we want to revert back to those times.

I drove a taxi in Chicago winter weather in RWD cars. Even with dedicated snows, it wasn't fun. I have no ambition to go back to those days.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    but it is a tweener w/ regard to size - not quite fitting in either the compact or mid-size categories

Nothing really wrong with that, in fact it could be a draw to a lot of people that think midsize cars are getting a little oversized. I think the car is attractive as I have always liked the look of the front end of the Jetta which it resembles. There are other things I don't like about the car though. The big "S" on the front and steering wheel and the huge side mirrors remind me of Dumbo.

I've read it handles very nicely and the interior is fairly nice and it comes well equipped for a reasonable price. But, like others, the dealership network stinks and I would be afraid of resale. If you keep it 10 years resale doesn't really matter but I would be afraid to take a chance on a brand new model and believe that I would love it enough to keep it 10 years.