Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• dash5dash5 Posts: 417
    I have a similar list although add the new Kia Optima as well. I might like the styling on that more than the Sonata, we will see.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,622
    edited May 2010
    Check your facts again. Every Regal has turn-by-turn navigation standard. Have you ever heard of OnStar? A great safety features. G37 doesn't have that, either.

And the power, seats, and overall handling isn't even close. The G37 feels like a proper luxury sedan and the GM feels like a C class or Volvo - ie - nice, but not really there.

So why are you comparing a V6 sports sedan to a mid-sized family car? As I said before, the Regal and G37 aren't natural competitors. I don't think many people (with a few exceptions, such as you) will cross-shop the Regal and G37. The Regal competes against the cars listed to the right. Against those, its power and features are very competitive.

If you want a car with power and handling like the G37 has, go buy one--don't even THINK of a car like a Regal. Although consider, if the G37 is so great, why the huge discounts and incentives on it? :confuse:

Edit: Also, a "proper luxury sedan" would offer heated seats with leather standard. An economy car, like my 2004 Elantra, might offer non-heated leather seats--which it has! But it only cost $13k new too. But it does have heated mirrors, which don't seem to be on the base G37 even at $20k more. :sick:
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Here's another site that does price comparisons but allows you to choose base models, maximize/minimize differences, etc. It does a good job of model comparisons.

True Delta
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,446
    new Sonata's lately.
    Black is popular, the best color imo, plus silver too.
    silver doesn't work as well, especially the back view.
    considering it is not a design that immediately stands out, like a Prius, i am surprised to see so many. most vehicles seem to have to hit a 'critical mass' to start noticing them.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    ...since delivery varies as well across the U.S.

I am pretty sure all manufacturers have a flat rate across the US for delivery charge, it does not vary by location. The delivery charge should be included in price comparisons, not that it makes much of a difference.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Yeah, I forgot the Optima. In fact, because the styling on the Sonata is already wearing a little thin with me the Optima might just be a better choice as it has a more Europeon, classic look to it at least from the limited pictures I've seen. Of course, I loved the Sonata when I first saw the pictures too but am not liking it as well now that I've seen them on the road.
    Exactly right. A car made down the street will still have the $700-$900 delivery charge as the one made in Japan or whereever. He may have been talking about the huge dealer fees that it seems are terrible in Georgia and Florida just to name a couple that I hear a lot about.
    Right. The G37 is priced and a competitor to the Lexus350 and the Acura TL. The new G25 will go against the IS250 and the TSX. I believe Buick is trying to catch both ends of the market and time will tell if that is a good strategy. They appear to want the Regal to appeal to the midsize buyers at the right while at the same time I think they are trying to go against the TSX, IS and G25 at the upper end of the Regal price structure.

From everything I came across on the new G25 it will be priced at about $29500 and will be pretty much(if not exactly) a base G37 with a smaller engine and probably the same option packages. Infinitis are great cars but have always suffered MPG wise. If they can capture both the luxury buyers that want a fairly sporty car without having to have 300+ hp and the associated low MPG I think they can have a winner with G25.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Auto Pacific's Customer Satisfaction Award for 2010 along with the Lincoln MKT. Ford is for real and Suzuki just flat out hit the nail on the head with the Kizashi.

What is Auto Pacific?
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    True, but I have yet to ever see a base G37 on the lot for sale! The only time I see one of them is as a service loaner car by the Infiniti Service Department. All the G37's on my lots up here in NJ, all come with AWD and the premium package at the very least so your talking about $39 some thousand on the window!

Can't wait to see the G25 when it comes out!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Auto Pacific's Customer Satisfaction Award for 2010 along with the Lincoln MKT. Ford is for real and Suzuki just flat out hit the nail on the head with the Kizashi.

What is Auto Pacific?

My thoughts exactly....

As for the MKT....it has been a bust....Lincoln dealers are stuck with them. All it offers is a snazzy engine (3.5L Ecoboost). Lincoln as a company is still struggling...
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    There are no wagons (well almost none), it's a "crossover".

Guess again. Right here on Edmunds if you look at new cars, and click on Station Wagons, list is 2011 Lincoln MKT.

Wagons

The Flex/MKT is indeed a wagon, a little taller, and not as long, but definitely a wagon. It reminds me a LOT of the 1979 LTD Wagon I had. It is not a crossover, the Edge is a crossover, the Freestyle was a crossover, but this is a wagon. The only difference is the tailgate goes up instead of down.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    It's often hard to put vehicles like that into a single category, and more & more manufacturers are labeling vehicles "crossovers," some of which I really, really think are wagons or minivans... but saying you drive a wagon isn't hip, while driving a crossover leaves your cool factor nebulously intact.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Yes, exactly...just as previously your cool factor remained intact, if you drove an SUV, or maybe it was more your manliness factor in that case, even if said SUV was really a minvan with hinged doors, rather than sliding.

Acdii also did not look closely enough, missing the fact that "crossover" is just a subcategory of "wagon" here on edmunds, go here:

http://www.edmunds.com/finder/type.wagon.html;f=%2Busein:new?cat=Wagon&reFacet=c- artype:Wagon&p=cvehicledata%23%23-1%23%23-1~~f66||436172~~f78||5761676f6e~~q

now look on the right side for "VEHICLE TYPE", and see this list:

Diesel
    Crossover
    Factory Tuner
    Flex Fuel
    High-Performance
    Luxury
    Performance
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Posts: 109
    Yeah, I forgot the Optima. In fact, because the styling on the Sonata is already wearing a little thin with me the Optima might just be a better choice as it has a more Europeon, classic look to it at least from the limited pictures I've seen. Of course, I loved the Sonata when I first saw the pictures too but am not liking it as well now that I've seen them on the road.

Purely subjective of course but the new Sonata never appealed to my wife or I even at first glance. We liked the more conservative look (and $5,000 discount) of the 2010 model and, in fact, purchased one a month ago. Great, great car and can only imagine how nice the added features and MPG on the newer model must be.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    edited May 2010
    Don't forget the Regal CXL lists at $27k and that includes quite a few luxury features including leather. That's many thousands less than a comparable Lexus, Acura, Audi, and MB.

Yep, that car will be on my short list when I'm ready to buy. Until then, I'll be watching customer satisfaction and repair records. I owned a German made Buick back in the day, and the car was nice, if a little rattly and unreliable.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Posts: 216
    The fully equipped Regal they show in the ads retails for $38k, fyi.
    edited May 2010
    I think you must mean the LaCrosse. The only Regal they are advertising and selling now is the I4 CXL which has a base MSRP under 27k and heavily optioned it may get to 32k, fyi.

Check Edmunds new cars prices.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Posts: 216
    Yeah, I meant the Lacrosse. Sorry.
  • dash5dash5 Posts: 417
    Getting back to the 2011 Optima, this commercial feels like it's geared towards what I want:

2011 Kia Optima Commercial

Minus those rims, and plus a turbo engine.

Sporty, stylish, but you can fit a child seat in the back and there is room for adults back there too. On top of which you're not spending BMW money. Now the question is, where will this car (in turbo) top out? 30k? 32k? If I'm hitting 32 or up I have to cross shop with an A4 or G37 to see if that extra few thousand buys me enough car to be a value advantage.

I've only seen it in that color by the way, why is that? Do they feel this color is the best representation of the car?