Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• midas69midas69 Posts: 118
    Why do these manufactures insist on these silly names for color? I owned an Acura TL and the color was Anthracite. What? The salesman got snooty when I called it dark gray. So I asked him, you're driving this car. You're going to pick up your mother at the airport. She's never seen the car. When she asks what color your car is so she can find you, are you going to tell her it's Anthracite? Yea, I didn't think so.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,737
    Why do these manufactures insist on these silly names for color? I owned an Acura TL and the color was Anthracite. What? The salesman got snooty when I called it dark gray. So I asked him, you're driving this car. You're going to pick up your mother at the airport. She's never seen the car. When she asks what color your car is so she can find you, are you going to tell her it's Anthracite? Yea, I didn't think so.

Can't you see it on your driver's license:

Eye color - Imperial Blue (from the BMW 5!)
    Hair color - Tuscan Bronze ChromaFlair (from the CTS!)
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    In my case:

eyes - Sky Blue (Subaru Outback)
    hair - Hazelnut Metallic (Porsche)
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    It's all a ploy to entice buyers into their showrooms. "New Colors Available!"

Or "Now at a Lower Price!" means the model was stripped of some features from the previous model year and still called the same nomenclature.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    edited June 2010

Ethnicity: Taffeta White :)
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I really feel quite sad for the poor saps that fall for these sales ploys!
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    lol!!! yeah my TL is carbon bronze pearl! basically a mix of brown and gray so I basically say either pewter or bronze when people ask me what color it is, :D !

Where they get these names I have no idea?

What really is bad, Nissan particularly seems to like to change 3-4 color names EACH model year and it makes it more difficult for the guy who is interested in a Altima and goes in and they changed the color and they don't know it and either the salesman doesn't know then what color you want when you mention a name that doesn't exist anymore or you have to go out to the car you want again and get the name off the window!
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,733
    The names are quite silly. I had a car that was anthracite, though, and it's a specific shade that aside from maybe Porsche's custom offerings, they lie and call it "anthracite". It's not gray any more than gold is a shade of yellow. It's really a lighter metallic black with a bit of gray and purple in it.

That's what bugs me the most, really. For instance, they'll call a car emerald green, but it's not even close to the actual color. This is most frustrating with lighter colors like white. Everyone has a pearlescent white or similar in their color options. For almost every car, it seems. And 90% of them aren't even close. Pearlescent paint is a different type of paint just like metallic is vs flat paint. I really wish that they'd stop trying to get fancy with the paint names and marketing these cars as if they were special.

Oh - my favorite color currently is the pearlescent dark red(red jewel IIRC) that GM has. They offer three different red colors, though - but only one has that effect. Why they would offer three nearly identical red colors I just don't know. Yes, it does cost extra, as it should, since it's a 3-stage paint process.(as it should be)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    It's gotta be really fun for the people who design our used car TMV tool. Seems like they gave up (as I would have) and just listed colors like blue, red, silver, white... even though there might be a significant difference in the value of a true pearl white and regular ol' white. But of course when manufacturers change easy-to-understand names like off-white to "cream dream" just to be different (like all the other manufacturers), the list would be miles long if they were all listed.

Fortunately, my car is easily-identifiable as plain-jane silver, but I'm afraid to guess what color our truck is alleged by Chevy to be.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• http://hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/5498

-New Accord SE, which is essentially a LX-P with leather interior, lumbar support heated seats and leather wrapped steering wheel.
    -EX sedans get Bluetooth (it was previously only available on EX-L in 08 & 09 and EX-L in 2010)
    -Some slight changes to the gauge cluster (Crosstour-like) and audio/climate control functions.
    -EXLV6 models get memory seats
    -Gas mileage for I4/Auto models goes up to 23/34 up two and three mpg while the V6 model goes up to 19/30
    -Revised wheels for all models
    -Rear view camera on navi-equipped models
    -NO LEDS or Projectors though

image">
    Still ugly and bloated IMHO.
    Glad to see MPGs went up significantly for the 4-cylinder, making it competitive once-again. Hopefully that translates to the real-world. Hello 6-speed!

I'll be interested to know if that's a true taillamp on the trunklid, or just reflectors.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Some nice tweaks, but what is funny about this is, the day I first saw the 2008 Accord, I said to myself, half joking, "I'll bet in the mid-gen refresh they'll extend the tail lamps onto the trunk lid, as with past Accords." And I'll be, that's exactly what they did. But to me, it looks like the folks who designed the extensions didn't talk to the folks who designed the original lamps. The extensions look tacked-on, as if they belong to a different car.
    Correction; they're sticking with the 5-speeds on all trims/powertrains.

Thoughts on where they got the big mileage gains from? 0W/20 oil wouldn't be enough to do that...
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,250
    I really liked the last generation of the Accord. For some reason, the new one looks a bit ungainly. Having said that, if the car road and handled well, it probably wouldn't be a deal breaker. Great front seats trumps looks in my mind.
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Still ugly and bloated IMHO.

That's a bit harsh, but after seeing the new Sonata, I wouldn't knock myself out defending the Accord's styling.

Honda & I go way back - I bought my 1st one, a Civic, in 1974 - and for years I considered the Accord to be the best looking car in its segment. But the Sonata is now the clear styling leader among midsized sedans.
  • irgirg Posts: 197
    I test drove a LX-P Accord a couple of weeks ago. I about broke my knee trying to get into the car, something about the way the dashboard juts out, it just hit me wrong. Still a bit swollen, I don't think I could deal with this. The dealer commented he's done it a few times as well. Probably something you learn not to do once you're the owner, lol.

Then I drove a Camry LE. Yeah it's a bit boring perhaps, and they're everywhere in my town, but it did drive very nice, seemed to have more power than the Accord, maybe the 6 speend auto? You sit a bit higher in it too. I haven't driven an Altima yet, I know they get good reviews too. Actually there aren't many (any?) bad choices in this segment, not including Chrysler. But I lease, so the Camry is attractive right now.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    If you lease, be sure to check out the Mazda6 and Altima also, there's some really good lease rates in my area right now, e.g. Mazda6i AT starting at $219/month for sign-and-drive.
    That's a bit harsh, but after seeing the new Sonata, I wouldn't knock myself out defending the Accord's styling.

Honda & I go way back - I bought my 1st one, a Civic, in 1974 - and for years I considered the Accord to be the best looking car in its segment. But the Sonata is now the clear styling leader among midsized sedans.

I've been a Honda fan since the '80's and have almost always felt the Accord was a much better looking car than the Camry. But the current gen of both has reversed my opinion. Take that and then tack on extra inches in size, softer sprung, and you have a bloated and ugly Accord - as I stated. And I like Honda. I'm just sad that they have gone this way.

IMHO the Civic is their best looking current car. Since it is due for a redesign, I certainly hope we don't see the new one is "6 inches longer, 3 inches wider" and then gets those weird taillamps and bugeye headlights.

And Acura is also going the big and ugly route as well...... I think Honda is losing their way.