Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Please grad, read Captans posts.. will ya!@ it is very obvious he hates Ford and will make up stories and misinformation. And you back him %100.. Any change you or captain or Accordman get a chance you bash away at the blue oval.. and its ok. If I say something to contradict.. its game on!@ ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I bash Ford? Link me to the bashing, please.
    And the 2.0 Zetec.. This engine has proven to be bullit proof!@ too.. yet, lets bash away at something we know nothing about :sick:
    130-145 hp from 2.0 Liters doesn't ring my bell. Reliable is a bonus, but it doesn't make a great engine (if it made that power and got 40 MPG, I might change my tune though :))

Reliability is only one aspect of a good engine, scape.

I'll be waiting on my link to the bashing.
    "And pay taxes on what they earn"

Lower pay, lower taxes earned.. :surprise:
    I'll talk to you more about this on the news and views forums if you like.
    I'm still waiting on that link to the Ford bashing. Or, were you just lying about me for sport? It makes no difference to me, I know how I truly feel about Ford. I nearly purchased one.
    Oh, I'm chillin..
    You don't know how long I have been here at Edmunds and how much "misinformation" I have seen. Most of it comes from the Honda/Toyota brethren on top of that.

" If one can't see the reason to pay the premium for Accord/Camry/Altima then one shouldn't. By all means go get the less expensive midsizer like Fusion and Sonata. Since in this case he/she would just be paying more for absolutely nothing. However, for those who can justify why the premium is worth it (like me) then there is also nothing wrong to opt for the more expensive camcords. At the end of the day...

Ya see.. you say "less expensive" Some in this room read this as "cheaper" or "cheap". Thus these sedans are viewed as less than a "premium sedan". That the Fusion/Milan/Sonata or whichever will in no=way last as long as an Accord/Camry or even an Altima!@ Been down this road before my friend with my Ranger in the Tacoma vs Ranger room. Ranger went over 110,000 miles with no issues.. and again in the Escape room vs CRV.. Escape went 75,000 miles with no issues.. I look at this differently. Toyota/Honda used to offer great value in the 70's and 80's. They have lost that edge..
    That the Fusion/Milan/Sonata or whichever will in no=way last as long as an Accord/Camry or even an Altima!

Where's this posted other than by you? And why are Honda owners all classified as the same egotistical bigots by you (judging by your account of how we talk)?
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    Reliability is only one aspect of a good engine

Reliability only means that the car works when you want it to. It doesn't mean its that good of a design. A weak design (like the engine in the 500) may run and run, but who wants it to when you discover how woefully underpowered it is?
    THANK YOU. It lends MUCH more credibility to an argument when there is a source. Maybe that's why it is a requirement to cite your sources when writing anything of value that is scholastic in nature.
    I think I'll come back when this forum is all about midsize sedans again. Good night everyone. :)
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    source: Consumer Reports an article entitled 'what is an American car - 2 Toyota models (the Camry and Avalon) have significantly more than the Mustang's 60% American made parts content. Read it and weep, or dismiss it as some Ford 'bashing' on CRs part, if you wish. I couldn't bring myself to believe it at first either - that bastion of Americana the Mustang of all things.I believe if you research this a little though you will find a good piece of that offending 40% is under the hoods..
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116

It would bode well for Ford to put the 2.5 in the Fusion/Milan and have at least 175HP mated to a 6speed auto/manual box. I don't see this happening, if at all until 09 model upgrade.

Not auto/manual...a real manual with a foot operated clutch pedal and something that sticks up between the seats where you manually select the gear desired.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    scape, this is from your own post

It would bode well for Ford to put the 2.5 in the Fusion/Milan and have at least 175HP mated to a 6speed auto/manual box. I don't see this happening, if at all until 09 model upgrade.

You have also said that the Fusion should have the 3.5L engine, instead of the 3.0L. If they do use the 2.5 and the 3.5 liter engines in 09 it will be a generation too late. Why were these engines not used to begin with? Other sedans in this segment have been using higher powered engines for years now. The Fusion is a generation behind. Buying a current generation Fusion is like buying the last generation of most other midsize sedans. The Fusion is still 4 to 5 years behind the competition, IMO.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    my problem with this is the same HP/lb. (1:20) ratio that would yield (let's be kind) - non-competitive acceleration capabilities, keeping in mind that some of these better engines today can and do deliver both power and economy. Taking 3 steps back like this and going back even further to an early 90s engine, is not going to help FE and would kill power of course - buyers these days want BOTH. Hell, the Altima 4 banger will hit that 175HP and leave that old Contour 100 miles behind before the first gas stop. Technology, I believe, is the answer to better more efficient engines, not simply reducing their size.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    The Fusion is still 4 to 5 years behind the competition, IMO.

The transmission is way behind too. What a huge oversight. Even the base Kia Optima has a Sportmatic shifter. The top of the line Fusion doesn't. Just D or L.
    The Accord doesn't have a manumatic either. I've never longed for one, I just use the D3, 2, or 1 when I have ever needed to lower the gears manually.
    So, I guess since the Accord doesn't offer AWD or a six speed automatic its also now behind the Fusion/Milan??? :confuse: