Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I have read that the new Verano is very quiet also. It's closer to a compact, but you didn't say "mid-sized sedans."

I haven't driven the new Passat but I wonder how quiet it is?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    I'm not considering the Verano. Too expensive, poor fuel economy MPG for the small size and it didn't have some feature I wanted at the time I had considered it (probably backup camera).
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    What is the best Midsize Sedan sold today, and why?

Pound for pound, dollar for dollar?
  • I like the Mazda 6. I drive a 07 6i 5-door. I think it's styling and handling are great and sets it apart from the plain vanilla Camry and fughly Accord. It's a great value for the money with good factory incentives. The dealers are willing to deal on it. You will not see 50-100 of these a day. You will not be driving the same boring car as everyone else. Also, for the current year they are still being made down I-75 from me in Flat Rock, MI in the same plant that makes the Mustang. You can't get more USA made than that. Mine has 86,000 trouble free miles on it. I plan to look at the new model due in 2013, but the current one is a great value. :shades:
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    By the numbers Camry is the #1 seller in the US and for good reason. I usually rent a Camry when I go out of town, good gas mileage, no drama, comfortable, delivers.

Everyone has their own opinion. 2012 Camry looks like an enticing vehicle.
  • A reporter is looking to interview midsize or small car owners who recently switched from Honda or Toyota to Chrysler, Ford or GM. Email pr@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, January 5, 2012 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision and your experience so far.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    Andres: Lots of good choices at various price points out there. We just bought 2012 Sonata GLS with PEP - list $22,450. Good value for the money and lots of features with a great warranty (if Hyundai delivers & establishes a bulletproof reputation for their cars). Camry SE also in the running with the new Malibu. Dealer service is a major factor and depends on those in our area. Hyundai seemed to fit the bill and the price was right. Initial intown MPG seems to be right on the EPA numbers so with gas bound to go up, with Chines demand, that was also a major factor (24/35). Time for us to pull the trigger with interest rates and car demand increasing. good luck.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Home run IMO. 1.6 ecoboost, 2.0 ecoboost and possibly 2 hybrid models. Embargo is lifted in a hour or so - won't have to guess for long.

1.6 EB - 26 city/37 hwy
    2.0 EB - mileage not given but this is the performance version - expect 250-270 hp
    2.0 Hybrid 47 city/44 hwy

And the biggest surprise of all - a 2.0 Energi plug-in hybrid!

Wow!
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    edited January 2012
    Pretty nice. I see a lot of other cars in this but then again just about every new design has things that look a little like things that came before. Some will [non-permissible content removed] that they are copying but there is only so much different you can do. I see Sonata tailights, Mazda6 tailpipes, Aston Martin grill(althought the whole front end kind of reminds me of a smaller Taurus. I have to give to Ford for keeping this so well under wraps. Also like that they appear to have gotten rid of the piano black plastic in the interior which has always looked cheap IMO.

Are those official EPA numbers or Ford's estimates? Either way they look good.
    Looks kind of ugly to me, but I would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and actually look at one in person. I like the focus we have.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    edited January 2012
    cars.com(kicking tires) just posted about Fusion with lots of pics and info like below which is somewhat different than what was posted by akirby.

"Drivetrain: 170-hp, 2.5-liter four-cylinder, 179-hp, turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder or 237-hp, turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder with six-speed manual (1.6-liter only) or six-speed automatic; front- or all-wheel drive (Fusion); 185-hp (combined), 2.0-liter four-cylinder with electric motor (Fusion Hybrid, Energi)"

above from cars.com kicking tires blog

Looks like they got rid of the shiny plastic chrome grill which always completely turned me off and still does on several of Fords vehicles.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    The 1.6L fuel economy is impressive--matches many compacts. The rear looks very Mazda6-ish to me. Not a bad thing, as I think that car is good looking (just drove one for a week). I haven't warmed up to the Big Gulp grille yet though. I think it would look better with less chrome, maybe a cross-weave pattern vs. the bars. It looks out of place with the rest of the car, which is very sleek. Dash looks to be a big improvement over the current car.

The 1.6L with a 6MT could be not only a great value (as long as Ford doesn't do something stupid such as make a key feature like cruise or Bluetooth unavailable on the base model) but fun to drive with excellent FE.

Wonder how the all-new Altima will compare?
    Looks kind of ugly to me

You think the Camry looks better than this? Where is that double facepalm when you need it........
    Yep, the 2.5L is still there but not mentioned in the Ford press release. I guess they're focusing on the new engines, hybrids and PIH.

The PIH will go 21 miles on electric only and should get the same 47/44 after that. The Volt will go 35 on electric only and only gets about 37 on the ICE.

The regular hybrid can go 62 mph on electric only. Wow.
    Yeah, actually I do think the Camry looks better.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,585
    You need to have some cheap engine for the rental fleets!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited January 2012
    Very few fusions go to rental fleets. Most of the fleet sales are government. It's hard to find a Fusion rental car in most locations.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    Had a Fusion from Hertz in Maui in 2010. Got it when our first vehicle, an Optima, threw a CEL.
  • Last time I rented, it was also a Fusion, also from Hertz. Maybe they're the only company offering them as rentals - not that I'm complaining. I was thrilled to have a Fusion instead of some of the less-palatable vehicles we usually have to choose from.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.