Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• fury63fury63 Posts: 18
    I think Nissan did a great job on their CVT but in the end it's a CVT and some people can't get past that. You can always put it in sport mode for that simulated shift. I enjoyed driving the Max; just wanted something different. Unfortunately for the Max their MPGs are still not that great but that's what the Altima is for I guess.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,179
    The Altima is Nissan's Accamalibusion. An amalgam of current mid-size sedan style, MPG, and design. I am already bored with it.

Car and Driver said it looks like a Camry that was stung by bees. Lol.
  • the 2013 Suzuki Kizashi on here, I remain mostly impressed with the:

Suzuki Kizashi...

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I also am a fan of the Kizashi. A very well built car that is prime for freshening. Suzuki has an opportunity to be the newest sedan on the block since all the major players have been designed, redesigned, or freshened in the past year or so. Suzuki seems to be holding back on committing to the mid-size sedan fight. I am curious to see what they do as a company in the near future.

The mid-size sedan is THE most difficult car to build for the masses. It has to be all things to all people...and Suzuki seems to not want to play that game.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    The Mazda6 is the next new one out of the gate and should be at dealers very early in 2013. The Kizashi is old news that never caught on. The Suzuki dealer right next to my Mazda dealer closed up about a year after the Kizashi came out. They needed a conventional transmission and a V6 or turbo 4. They were touting it as a cheap alternative to an Audi but it didn't have the HP to really compete in that sports arena. Suzuki will probably slip quietly away into the night(from the USA) much like Izuzu did. My understanding is that they do well in Japan and the rest of Asia but just can't seem to make great inroads in the US and I think Europe as well. I don't even hear that much about their motorcycles much anymore. I know their boat motorss are that desired either.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    edited October 2012
    The Kizashi has very few fans but some of them are quite loyal. Most of them would be impressed if they drove the 2013 competitive models, and could see where the Kizashi needs updating. I like the size of the Kizashi, but it has fallen behind on styling, equipment, power choices, and quietness.

The 2014 Mazda6, out in January, looks to be a winner.
    I was being polite. If you read between the lines I said this about the Kizashi:

A) It needed updating badly. (boring)
    B) Their heart isn't in it. (boring)
    C) They nibbled some market share from the big boys as an alternative too many. (boring)
    D) Didn't Suzuki make crappy little 4x4's (Samurai) that enjoyed a cult following? Why don't they do that again?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    For full disclosure - my car history has been:

1996 Accord: My first car. Cramped for my 6'4" frame, and not particularly peppy (130hp) but it had a personality. I miss that car.

2006 Accord: Great to drive. Had some road noise, felt more powerful than it was.

Currently have a 2009 Sonata GLS V6: Quiet, smooth riding, lots of power with good MPG (averaging 29-30mpg on my highway commute), absolutely no fun to drive around a bend.

The 2013 Accord was still disapppointingly noisy compared to my quiet Hyundai. I'm not sure I could go back to that level of road noise every day after commuting 100 miles a day in my quiet coffin of a car, the Sonata. However, the engine felt good under my foot, but made a noise that was not pleasant like previous Honda fours. Part of DI, I suppose.

The CVT didn't feel that different from an automatic. It had obvious "shift" points. When I gunned it to merge, it had definite "shifts" in ratio. Frankly, I liked the feel of the 2012 Altima I drove, and how it smoothly ramped up the revs, and dropped them back. The Accord didn't feel as "rubber-bandy" I suppose, but it wasn't nearly as smooth as the Altima was, either. Overall, not a deal maker or breaker for me. It was good enough.

The interior had loads of space. My Sonata is a "Large Car" by EPA standards, with a moonroof, and the Accord felt at least as spacious. No problems there. My seat in my Hyundai offered more travel/front legroom for me, but not by much. The Honda offered comfy seating and rear vents, a nice touch.

In the end, these were the items I focused on; powertrain, space, and noise levels. While the Honda was definitely more spry than my current Sonata, nothing about it made me pine for a new car right now. I'm content with what I have (and no car payment).

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited October 2012
    badly...already? Huh? No way! I don't even have to re-test drive the car to know that it hasn't. Oh well, if nobody buys one that will mean all the more Kizashi's left for me. Mine-mine-mine!

All mine.

Hurry...catch a glimpse of it before it becomes a little red X

Look at that car, gentlemen. Simply the coolest midsize car on the market. And it is the smallest midsize car as well. This car looks mah-vel-ous in silver. Best color for the Kizashi.

I got your message but was just adding to it. However, don't really equate boring with needing an update or their heart isn't in it. Suzuki is huge in Japan and Asia, one of the best selling brands there. They just can't figure out the US market very well.
    What happended to the red one you were gaga over about a year or so ago?
  • seolbroseolbro Posts: 19
    The front end looks like a hillbilly on nitrous oxide.
  • absolutely luscious. :D

• I heard no mention of the new "Fusion". I drove the 2013 accord and Fusion and the Fusion is much more quiet and better sounding engine (1.6L ecoboost). Accord has better ergonomics though.
    I actually like the front end. It has a nice quality mesh upper and lower grill that looks rich and better than cheap plastic fake one's on most cars. (including mine).

I like that it has fog lights, the wheel's are nice. This model looks decked-out with a sunroof as well.

How much was sticker?
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    You can't go wrong with either one of these 4 now. Each has its pros and cons to the others but these 4 keep appearing at the top of the pack in comparison tests.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Posts: 218
    edited October 2012
    Does anyone know if the 2014 Mazda 6 manual will be available w/any "premium" options (specifically a sunroof, SiriusXM and paint in a shade other than black, white or gray)? I was interested in replacing my 2010 Focus SES w/a CX-5 manual until I found out that checking the box for a stick shift meant going home with the AM radio special in grandmotherly gray. Apparently Mazda thinks all motorists who enjoy rowing their own gears are colorblind. Ugh...

The Fusion looks great and I can build it almost exactly the way I'd like, but I have no desire to relive the Blue Oval ownership experience any time soon (after multiple visits to Ford service departments this summer to address sundry unresolved defects with my current ride). After the flawed launches with the 2012 Focus and 2013 Escape, Ford should consider buying back a stake in Mazda so that it can tap its engineering resources again. Ford has proven it can do styling well; it just needs a Volvo or Mazda platform upon which to build a quality vehicle.

As someone else mentioned, the fact that Car and Driver's test Fusion exhibited electrical gremlins should give any buyer reason to pause. Best of luck to anyone driving one of those off the lot w/a hybrid powertrain. :surprise:

I'd probably trade my clunky 2 year old Ford today for a new Accord if only Honda would make satellite radio available w/a stick shift. And seriously, 2 color options... what is this, the former Soviet Union?

Please, Mazda. Give us options!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited October 2012
    would be around $22,000, depending on options you want. Suzuki pretty much decks them out standard equipment pretty stocked up. For instance, you may be able to order a more expensive stereo or a sunroof or something like that, which you would have to pony up an extra $1,495 for.

2013 Suzuki Kizashi

I love these in silver, it's my favorite color for the Suzuki Kizashi. This is the exact car I would want, with the foglights and wheels like this. The automatic CVT transmission would make this car cost around $23,995. The 6-speed manual would only be around $22,000.

For what you get for that money the car is a great deal.

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I saw an ad today for an AWD Kizashi, over $4k off, priced just under $19k.

Nice discount :) ... which means they aren't selling very well :( .
    There was an ad from a Chicago dealer yesterday for almost $7k off sticker. $21+k for $14,999 or something like that. Could have been a demo as I didn't look too closely but it caught my eye.