Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,058
    I like the quality materials in it's "face". Good looking little mid-size. I have never seen one on the road...or noticed one, and I NOTICE cars. I like the availability of AWD as well.

I am glad I only can afford one car, or I would end up a hoarder or something. :confuse:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Does anyone know if the 2014 Mazda 6 manual will be available w/any "premium" options (specifically a sunroof, SiriusXM and paint in a shade other than black, white or gray)?

I believe the 2012 LA Auto Show will provide details about the NA Mazda6.
  • ctlctl Posts: 123
    noises was/has been the biggest show stopper on Accord for my wife. Really thought Honda has finally put its acts together in this generation... very disappointing!! although we will also test drive in person to confirm, but if it is much noisier than 2009 Sonata...

You mentioned to have also driven 2013 Altima, the new Altima was claimed to be Camry-level quiet, how does that Altima compared with your Sonata in terms of noises? granted the Sonata is a V6.
  • I have zero noise issues with my 2013 Accord EXL. I have seen and heard complaints of the Sport model with larger tires having louder road noise, and but I have very little noise. I also have not had wind noise issues either although some had a door sash replaced to solve their wind issues. The suspension is definitely tuned for handling which I like. I would highly recommend driving the EXL which may have more sound dampening to compare to the lx or sport. The Accord EXL hit a sweet spot for me with all of the features included along with the performance and efficiency of the i4 cvt for my driving habits. 90 percent of my driving is in the city so this car makes a lot of sense.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    I always found my 2005 EX-L 4 cyl to be quite quiet, except for some tire noise on certain road surfaces. Other than that, very peaceful.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    But still louder than most of the competition. Cars in general have gotten much quieter. That includes the Accord. However, it still lacks that more vault-like silence that is trickling down to mid-size cars from lusxury models. Altima, Passat and now Fusion are quieter.
    edited October 2012
    I find that the most quiet vehicle is the Fusion. You see, the tow truck blocks all the wind, allowing the Fusion to be the most quiet in it's class. Also quiet was when all the warning lights went off and the engine stopped providing forward motion. Oh, just to jam the sword in to the hilt, I have had zero problems with my "common man" Optima. It just keeps going somehow, ignoring weather as it goes along. This is called "reliability". Would someone please teach the Ford execs this basic business philosophy?

The Ford "My Sync" tech now owns you. Actually, I am surprised that part of the in-car tutorial informs you that "your a#@ is mine now buddy.

:lemon:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Pardon if I've missed previous posts, but do you own the new Fusion? It sounds like you have a lemon...
    lastly, I root for Ford, knowing that GM is LIKE "THE WALKING DEAD". obviously the gov't saw something in them. Lets all pray that the GM delivers what the public wants.

I think you have me confused with another poster who had a Few-sion too many!

-Chris
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    GM, like Ford, has its work cut out for it in the next few years as the market gets even more competitive, and all manufacturers continue to improve and expand their offerings. At this time, however, GM is doing very well and is profitable. Their bright spots are the US and China. Like everyone else in Europe (Ford included), operations there suck. However, they have plans to turn that around, and for a company on the ropes not too long ago, they have issued more new product than practically any other company.

Now, the 2013 Fusion is a better car than the Malibu, and Ford still sells more trucks than anyone. However, the upcoming Impala is a better design than the Taurus, and the Sonic is better rated than the very good Fiesta. A new Silverado is just months away. Both companies will have to scramble continuously to remain in the fray. The Taurus needs incentives on the hood to outsell the Mercedes E Class, a much more expensive car. Meanwhile, Chrysler is gaining market share and also profitable again. Paid back those government loans and saved a ton of direct and ancillary jobs in the process. Chrysler may even save Fiat now.

But there is only so much market. To increase market share, someone else has to lose it. So companies will continue to rise and fall. Both GM and Ford may be healthy 10 years from now, but it is possible that both might be gone, or swallowed up by others. Ford can't seem to get a grip on the luxury market, even while some of their money-losing luxury cast-offs (Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo) seem to be making a go of it.

Another Ford cast-off, Mazda, will have a very competitive and pretty Mazda6 for sale in next year. The mid-size market is the most cut-throat of all now, as soon every entry will be a competient one. I believe the mediocre Avenger will soon be renewed or killed, and the Chrysler 200, the only other non-competitive model for sale, will soon be re-made and kicked up market. It's a great time to be in the market for a good new car.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    edited November 2012
    I have a feeling you are referring to the 2010 thru 2012 model. The 13 has only recently been showing up on lots. I have to say my 2009 Fusion SEL V6 which I bought in October 2008 has been an excellent car. No problems. Very reliable.

I just bought a 2012 Toyota Highlander Limited 4wd and already the power liftgate has a problem where the entire tailgate and motor for the power liftgate must be replaced. I mean a new liftgate and motor must actually be ordered into the Dealership, Painted, and installed. There was a TSB issued for the problem but if your one of the unlucky suckers that are not still under the original warranty which is 3 years or 36,000 then you have to foot the entire bill. I have 3500 miles on it. All brands have their issues. Many people (expecially Honda, Prius, and now Volt Owners) will never admit they might have issures when questioned about their vehicles reliability. I think sometimes they feel as though they have to now rationalize their loyalty to a brand or model and why they purchased and continue to purchase. I have no loyalty to any brand. I buy what I like and don't base my purchase on so called reliability ratings of resale value. That is unless they are rated very unreliable. Then I might pause.
  • podpod Posts: 176
    I am 27,000 miles into a 2010 Mercury Milan (aka Fusion with different appearance pieces) with not one issue and it is very quiet (one of the main reasons for the purchase) and economical (average over 27,000 = 31.4 mpg staying in Left lane). It has sync but none of the other electronic doodads which Ford seems to be pushing. A great car with very good handling on Michelins which look like they will give about 40,000+ judging from remaining tread. I hope they maintain a near base version without all the gadgets since I refuse to buy a car with a screen that needs to be read to communicate it's message. I will not take my eyes off the road. I do favor knobs and buttons. I am a bit of a luddite but I am also an electrical engineer and shudder to think of the expensive repairs that could result from a single diode opening somewhere among the thousands of circuit boards that are being given more and more control over how the car drives. There are electronic LSDs on some cars now that "apply the brakes to the outside wheel when cornering to act as a LSD". I don't want to be driving along at 75 mph when that circuit goes haywire. I perceive that a significant minority think Ford is going overboard with the gadgets. Sync was good and they were first to market but Ford should remember they are not Sony. Stick to cars and reliability. Less is more.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Remember...SYNC is Microsoft...
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    That's kind of why we chose the Highlander over the Edge or Explorer. We wanted the limited, but since it was my wife's vehicle I felt uncomfortable with her using the MyFordTouch. You can use voice command to change radio presets and to change the Temp. We were not going to get the Navigation. Actually, my wife would have never figured it out. She can't even use the buttons on the steering wheel of our Fusion or the Highlander. She still reaches over and uses the knobs and buttons on the center stack. She is pretty much the opposite of Tech savvy. Also the Highlander did ride a lot smoother than the Edge. The Explorer was more vehicle than we needed with no kids left at home.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I heard no mention of the new "Fusion". I drove the 2013 accord and Fusion and the Fusion is much more quiet and better sounding engine (1.6L ecoboost). Accord has better ergonomics though.

I like the looks of the Fusion, but quality concerns as of late and a particularly high sticker price for the equipment level I'd want leave me cold. I'll likely drive one soon enough, but the Ford dealer wasn't in the area where I was that particular afternoon.
    noises was/has been the biggest show stopper on Accord for my wife. Really thought Honda has finally put its acts together in this generation... very disappointing!! although we will also test drive in person to confirm, but if it is much noisier than 2009 Sonata...

You mentioned to have also driven 2013 Altima, the new Altima was claimed to be Camry-level quiet, how does that Altima compared with your Sonata in terms of noises? granted the Sonata is a V6.

I drove a 2012 Altima SL, not the new design 2013. It didn't stand out to me as particularly noisy. However, the day I drove the Altima, I drove a 2011 Fusion Hybrid. That car was such a trip (in a good way) that noise levels don't stand out to me on the Altima.

To Hyundai's credit/detriment, my V6 Sonata seems to have bested the comparable Camry in terms of isolation from noise and vibration, at least in comparison to the LE V6 I drove of the previous generation. As a result, it's pretty dull to drive, but very serene on a trip or my long highway commute.
    I always found my 2005 EX-L 4 cyl to be quite quiet, except for some tire noise on certain road surfaces. Other than that, very peaceful.

I did too until I bought my Sonata. In comparison, the Honda has loads of road noise. Was a good car though!
    edited November 2012
    WHY IS EVERYTHING IN BOLD NOW? IS THIS A TRIAL?

LOL LMAO.
    edited November 2012
    Truth. The truth is when we can quibble all day about which car is better and which one costs the least/most, which is fastest or most fuel efficient or both. Then, we can all argue and fight about why we like what we purchased, or are about to purchase. I have a list of my top 10 reasonably priced cars, if anyone cares to keep fighting!

10) ACURA ILX 2.4 6 speed manual (200 hp, and yes it is a gussied up Civic) Price? $25k!!
    9) Mazda Miata MX-5. Love everything about it, except that I can't fit in it. We all want what we can't have, and I CANT!
    8) 2000 Acura Integra. Drove like it was on rails. Really. Fantastic, light, Civic-based gold standard for handling in a sleek, sexy package. Price? $19,999. 2 door, black, tan interior, and with the wing on the back. 5 speed manual only of course. The 4 speed slushbox killed it's direct control charm. It is also a Civic underneath...not a bad thing...just a footnote. Acura made a fortune on them.
    7) 1995 Mazda RX-7. OMG. Fast, direct, screamed like a banshee, Engine has ONE moving part. ONE!
    6) 2007 Shelby Mustang GT, (Nuff said)
    7) Camaro SS 305 HP LT1 Awesome! (until it breaks down)
    5) Firebird Formula (same as Camaro + a beluga whale as front clip) fast though!

TBC tomorrow!
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    Camry 29,926 +35.8%
    Accord 28,349 +25.5%
    Altima 24,623 +12.8%
    Sonata 16,773 -8%
    Optima 12,948
    Fusion 12,690 -29.9%
    Malibu 9,629 -6%
    200 8,758 -22%
    Passat 8,355 +65.8%

I'm surprised at how close the Accord is to the Camry....Just a fluke? Don't know....