Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Did they have an excuse as to why the Fusions were locked up? Usually, at auto shows, the only reason is that they aren't for sale yet and could be slightly "pre production" units or concepts.
  • I saw a Fusion on Saturday, just driving down the highway. Looks better in pictures than in the flesh.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    edited November 2012
    quote at the bottom of one of the pics from autoblog..
    "2013 Ford Fusion: A driver-centric cockpit with a forward canted centerstack and high center console provide visual design cues of Fusion's competence and poise on the road."

Really?? Who writes this utter.... ahhh..stuff??
    A high center console provide visual design cues of a car's competence? who at Ford approved this and if no one did, why aren't they suing for....well..idiotic remarks.

I think the hood is too busy. I get what they were trying to do, but end result is a fail, IMO.
    All in all though, it is a fairly handsome effort.

I chuckled to myself when I read thegraduate became enticed by the unlocked Optima..that'll teach 'em (Ford).

Dear FMC, it's only a Fusion...sheesh..If you're going to lock it, then hang a sign saying why.
  • b25nutb25nut Templeton, CAPosts: 193
    Make sure when you try the Fusion on for size that the Easy Entry & Exit Function is activated. It makes getting in and out of the car much easier for anyone 6' or more by automatically moving the seat to the full back position.
    My trip yesterday of over 400 miles resulted in an average 34.4 mpg with speeds of 70-75 mph 80% of the time. This included going up "Grapevine Hill".
  • sdcal2sdcal2 Posts: 12
    I do think as others have posted it a temporary problem that has been corrected. I think my order is in the group of vehicles that "had a Problem" and I got screwed with delivery. If someone can order in September and has their vehicle... I got screwed. The car is for my daughter and I kind of forced the car on her and now regret buying Ford. For reasons I do not have the time to explain it would cost me a lot to change directions and buy something different. Just feels like one more time where some company says thank you very much now bend over and don't complain. Moo moooo!
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,053
    edited November 2012
    Drove a lot yesterday. Zero Fusions. You know, I remember the 2005 Mustang introduction and being really, really excited about it's retro design. Now I view the old 4.0 6 cyl. models as airport rentals. We are going to get used to the Fusion real quick I bet, especially the basic I-don't-need rims, dual exhaust, or fog-lights models.

On the news this morning I was informed that there is a new Prius recall. I am curious as to how Ford's C-Max is going to do competing against it.

However, this isn't the hybrid thread so I am done now b-4 someone gets :mad:
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Any time you order a vehicle before or within the first month or two of a new model introduction you have to expect potential delays. Ford has a very specific process to ensure that they don't ship out defective vehicles so some get held longer than others. They try to minimize the impact on retail (sold) orders but sometimes unexpected problems crop up due to machinery or (usually) parts problems from their suppliers.

One guy had his already built Fusion pulled off the line for crash testing by NHTSA, something Ford has no control over. They did submit a new order for him with emergency priority.

If you don't want delays, wait 6 months to order.
    edited November 2012
    I run my own business part time to supplement income (3 kids ain't cheap).

If I don't keep up with orders and deadlines I am out of business. I show up to appointments early and stay late. These are the principles that make a person, business, and government successful and respected.

I know that building an Automobile these days is like assembling a Lunar Module, but you would think that people who design these things have quality assurance people(who work on deadline's) testing people (who work on deadlines) and government liaison's (who work on deadlines). I think big business in America has partially turned away from the principles that made our country great,

If I ordered a car, and had to wait 2 months to be delivered, only to be told it will be two more months I would cancel my order. Period. I would have signed an agreement with the dealer that if they can't deliver then my money goes away and I am driving off a competitors lot in a new car.

There were plenty of Sonata's and Optima's in 2011. Brand new model. The Largest recall was left front wheel strut components caused vehicle to pull to the left. 41,000 Sonata's recalled, 16,000 Optima's. (I bought a 2012, which had fixed the problem permanently). It took an hour to buy one and I was on my way home....car in hand. :P

12,000 miles later and there have been zero problems with my car. None. As a matter of fact, very few had to wait for their Korean car. Do we want to be a whole subsidiary of Asia? Keep it up America, and that is what we have to look forward to.

Hope you are listening Ford, as you are the last and only US manufacturer that I WOULD still buy a car from.
    How many people actually place a factory order for a Sonata or Optima? These types of delays happen all the time with other mfrs you just don't hear about them. Also in other cases the mfrs would simply ship out defective vehicles and fix them later. Ford chooses to bite the bullet and fix them first. So that causes some delays and not a lot of information. I prefer that scenario to them shipping out defective products.

If Ford didn't allow buyers to pre-order before production begins then everyone would be upset that they have to wait. If they do and have problems then everyone is upset, even though Ford never guarantees any delivery dates on any special order.

This will be a blip in the overall picture once production is humming.
  • b25nutb25nut Templeton, CAPosts: 193
    I ordered mine in September but that is not the Fusion I am driving. If I had waited for that one, I wouldn't have seen it until after Dec. 16. I lucked out and found a dealer that had ordered the exact same car in their initial order to Ford for their Fusions.
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 198
    edited November 2012
    Not a spammer. I read this site everyday and only reply when something strikes me. The Kia Optima is built in West Point, Georgia. As of today, Georgia remains part of the US.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Make sure when you try the Fusion on for size that the Easy Entry & Exit Function is activated. It makes getting in and out of the car much easier for anyone 6' or more by automatically moving the seat to the full back position.

I've never driven a car without the seat all the way back in the first place. Accords, Santa Fe, Odyssey, Corolla, Sonata, Verano, Camry, Suburban and even an Excursion... the seat is always at the back of the track. :)
  • Me too! I read these forums daily but only post occasionally.

Yes, Georgia is still part of the U.S. Their petition to secede has not yet been approved. ;)
    Thanks Wayne21. My car was built at the Westpoint, GA plant.

People don't have to order Sonata's and Optima's because they are affordable mid-size sedans and not an Aston Martin Vanquish or a Rolls.

Why would I order a Ford Fusion and wait 6 mo's for it?

I owned 94 SHO , so I like Ford just fine.
    What does cost have to do with ordering? The delays will be over with in a month or two and there won't be any more delays for the next 5 or 6 years. Much ado about nothing.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    The delays will be over with in a month or two and there won't be any more delays for the next 5 or 6 years. Much ado about nothing.

Agreed...being 1st on the block with the "latest" always includes a down-side.

I'm willing to bet there will be initial quality/reliability problems as well...usually is.

If you want to be the first with an iPhone you have to wait in long lines...this doesn't take away from it's excellence; it just indicates what you're willing to go through to be the first.

Not to diminish anybody's disappointment...I'd be PO'd if my order were delayed, especially when I'm eagerly anticipating it.
    Back in September they shipped the stamping dies for the left and right body sides to Arizona by truck and rented a huge aircraft to fly them back to Detroit to be fixed, then flown back to Arizona and back to Hermosillo by truck. That's why they have this batch and hold inspection process - to find problems before they show up at the dealer.

Once fixed these problems should not reoccur.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    '...then flown back to Arizona ...'
    Wow - THAT sounds expensive.
    - Ray
    Stamping dies that size must be very heavy.......
    It required a Hercules transport plane and I think there were 2 complete dies - top and bottom left and right sides so I imagine they were REALLY heavy. Sounds like they had them fixed and back in service within a week or so which is really fast considering.

As someone else said - you don't always want to see inside the sausage factory.
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 198
    12,000 miles later and there have been zero problems with my car. None. As a matter of fact, very few had to wait for their Korean car. Do we want to be a whole subsidiary of Asia? Keep it up America, and that is what we have to look forward to.
    Hope you are listening Ford, as you are the last and only US manufacturer that I WOULD still buy a car from.

This is what I responded to. The KIAs are made in Georgia and provide a lot of work for people in that part of Georgia and nearby Alabama towns. (The sonata is built in Montgomery Alabama. I've toured that factory and it is really awesome.) For every factory employee about 12 jobs are created to support him. That is a lot of employment and money provided to a lot of local people. As for the Asians or anyone else, there is a 25 percent tax on any car imported to the US - compliments of the UAW lobbying in the 1970s because noone would buy american at that time. That is why so many of the foreign-based car companies have built factories in the US (avoiding the 25 percent import tax).... non-union as a rule so as not to have the UAW ruin them. As for buying ford, the fusion is built in Hermasillo Mexico. My brother recently purchased a new camaro - an american muscle car. The motor and transmission were made in mexico and the car was assembled in Oshawa Canada.