Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    Image the 88 accord with 98hp and 4) 200 lb people in it

You are missing the point. What was the 0-60 time of that 1988 Accord, even with the LX-i's fuel injected engine? Nowhere close to 5.6 secs, no matter how light it was. Yet people loved that car, and managed just fine.

My wife's 2007 Sonata had "only" 162 hp and a 4-speed slushbox. Yet it was more than quick enough to move out when needed. Her new 2013 has 198 hp, but the car is about the same weight as the 2007. And of course the Sonata can be had with over 270 horses.

Do people buy these mid-sized sedans to take them drag racing on weekends, or schlep from home to work to the mall? I think mostly the latter. Not sure how all that power helps there.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 386
    I agree it would be a hassle, it was more a tounge in cheek comment. I really don't know why they would offer it here and not there, my guess would be the dealers say nobody buys them, so they aren't offered ( proving their point as they are not available, like wagons etc. )
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Ford's Hermosillo plant leads the company in manufacturing quality. High USA wages don't guarantee anything.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,621
    edited February 2013
    That might well be true. But some people, like me, would somewhat prefer if more of the money they spent on a car stayed in the US working here. But for many that's not a consideration. Everyone gets to make their own choice....+++ And the Fusion is a great looking car with a lot of plusses, including the best braking time that I've seen.
  • I just recently read in a Motor Trend article that Mazda is going to be offering the Touring trim level with the manual as well, so I hope there's some validity to that. Unfortunately, it includes a bunch of equipment I could probably live with if I absolutely had to (vinyl seats, 19 inch wheels, "Commander Switch", etc.), but still doesn't give me entry to the sunroof (presently available only on the Grand Touring). I wish Mazda would just go the track Ford/GM/Chrysler have in the past and offer a sun/sound package on the base model. Problem solved.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Posts: 214
    edited February 2013
    I've never really understood the whole automated manual concept myself. I remember driving a new Dodge Stratus w/Chrysler's "Autostick" back in the late '90s and thinking afterward, "Why would anyone want one of these?" Thought the same thing when I test drove a VW with "Tiptronic" a few years later. And then again with an A3 dual clutch paddle shift a couple years after that. Since then, I think I've driven 20 or so different models - domestic and foreign - with some form of automated manual in them. And what's to say? They're still automatics (and I dislike them for all the same reasons).

I kind of wonder why manufacturers even bother with them. The percentage of automatic drivers who actively use them has to be smaller than the number of folks driving regular manuals. My parents, for instance, weren't even aware their new Volvo XC70 had a "Geartronic" shiftable auto until I pointed it out to them - 9 months after they brought the car home. They still don't use it (and I suspect they're probably glad they don't have to).

If I was forced to drive a slushbox, I wouldn't be in hunting in this segment anyway. There's a Chrysler dealer a block from my house and I'm forced to drive past a row of shiny new Chargers every day I leave home. To each his own, but that's the most attractive vehicle on the road today IMHO (even beats the new 6). And with Chrysler's never-ending rebateathon, a brand new HEMI model (with my requisite sunroof) can often be had for under $27K.

Like overweight ladies, I really wish I loved automatic transmissions. Life would be so much easier - there's certainly no shortage of them.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,047
    I think the issue here could be geography. There is no way I am going to pump a clutch in DC traffic. It's hard on me and hard on the car. However, on the rare occasion that the beltway/395/95 highway is clear, I enjoy a spirited cruise. I don't own the turbo, but I do like to decelerate with my "slushbox" in manual, keep the rev's up, and shoot through a corner on full boil in 3rd then back to auto.
    The Optima Turbo does not have a real dual-clutch automated manual either. It is the exact same 6 speed auto that is in the EX 2.4, with flappy paddles added on.

You use the term "slushbox" a lot, and it reminds me of the days of the "turbo-hydromatic" 3-60E GM 3 speed automatic. Today's 6-speed auto units are far more advanced, and extremely durable.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,047
  • 2012 Toyota Camry SE Special Edition (2012 only) - basically an SE V6 package with the 4 cylinder engine. They only made them for 4 or 5 months last year. They are loaded with sunroof, nav, entune but not leather and no rear camera (dammit). Several available if you shop around.
    MSRP 27k (or so); sell price 23.5k (clearance)
    residual 15077 (for 12000 miles per year)
    money factor 0.00001 (yes, that is very low)
    Dealer offer: 35 payments of $262 (includes 6.5% sales tax) with absolutely zero o-t-d
    This weekend (additional $500 from TFS): payment reduced to 249
    Rationale for why i passed:
    1. after driving a few cars with the rear camera, i am hooked
    2. fear of having to replace the 18 inch tires before/at the end of the lease
    Back to the Accord forum...
    You forgot the #1 reason re "why not this deal?"...

IT'S A CAMRY!!! :P

Although it's a good lease price compared to something like a 2013 Accord LX (which is going for $289/mo with 0 out of pocket in my town), there's comparable lease deals on better, newer cars e.g. Passat SE, Sonata GLS w/PEP, and Optima LX. Add an aftermarket nav system for $100 and drive happy w/o the pitfalls of the 18" wheels. No moonroof, but payment will be less than $249 also. You might find a Sonata Limited or Optima EX for around $250/mo--I haven't shopped those trim levels.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Well that's a totally different issue.
  • I currently drive a 2011 Sonata GLS and the lease is up in 2 months. I drove the Accord and this particular Camry (back to back) and was surprised that the Camry SE with the 18 inch wheels and lower profile tires did not have a harsh ride. The deal is sweet but the downsides were enough to keep me shopping.
    BTW, the lease deals on the Accord are 255 LX, 284 EX with first and fees down here in OH. Still no cash incentives from honda and the Sport model of the Accord is the prime seller. Time is still on my side for a little while...
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    I got the point :)

I loved the 88 accord too.

My point was it was 800 lbs lighter (2500 lbs). So in the 'olden' days 98hp adequate.

You 'need' more now with heavier vehicles; more hp, more gears etc. 98hp in the current Accord would be like adding 800lbs in the 88 Accord...a show stopper.

"Need" is very subjective when automobiles are involved; I too have been guilty of "need"...But recently I explicitly looked for a 4cyl in my current vehicle...bypassing the V6. After many years stuck in traffic in 300+hp cars I figured what's the point :)
  • Geography can be an issue. But Minneapolis has its fair share of traffic too - especially when you work downtown and live in the 'burbs. My current commute after a recent move is a cinch - about 10 minutes. But my old commute across the metro was 45 minutes to 2+ hours, depending on traffic and weather. And I had a stick (and still didn't want an automatic). Yes, having to operate a clutch can be constant in heavy traffic, but I never really thought of it as a form of torture.

Automatics, on the other hand, are a form of torture (in my opinion - we can agree to disagree). And the more speeds they have, the worse the torture (I actually prefer CVTs to traditional planetary gearset transmissions when it comes to modern automatics). It seems like whenever I'm in a rental, the thing's never in the right gear in traffic. Modern automatics upshift way too early (indeed I understand it saves fuel) and when you turn a corner and hit the gas, there's always that moment of pause (during which I admittedly have a tendency to punch the accelerator ) before it kicks down a couple of gears and rockets forward. Annoying.

I've had salespeople tell me that transmission electronics can predict my behavior. I kindly disagree. And then invariably they tell me their transmission can predict my behavior. Whatever.

I just like manuals and the days of manuals are going away. I've got plenty of years ahead of me to drive automatics. Eventually, we'll all be forced to. I just want to enjoy that extra control behind the wheel while I still can.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    edited February 2013
    No, I think you're still missing his point. IMO his point is that back in the day we thought 9-11secs or more to 60mph in a economy car was just fine. Now we complain if it's over 7 secs. Everyone knows cars have gotten heavier due to general size, crash safety standards and add equipment. But the HP has way more than kept pace with weight gains. Don't get me wrong, I like the pep just fine. But the point was our expectations of how fast a car is has changed. We would not be satisfied with todays cars with just enough hp to go 0-60 in 9-11secs.

Heck, a 1982 Accord LX took almost 13 secs 0-60mph. Don't think that would go over too well today.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,621
    edited February 2013
    My first car was a 1969 VW Bus. 0-60 in c. 22 seconds. I'm not kidding.

Today my 2008 Honda Accord 4 cylinder 5 MT is considered somewhat slow, but it gets to 60 in somewhere around 8.5 seconds.
    edited February 2013
    And here I thought the VW Bus was... a bus! Come to find out it's a mid-sized sedan! ;)

Who is it who considers your 2008 Accord "somewhat slow"? You? Or the guys at C/D who drag race their V6 Accords, using launching techniques that are clearly "do not attempt this at home"?
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    I own a 2001 Odyssey and have had to replace the transmission 3 times already

When I was getting my transmission rebuilt (actual rebuilder since it was a special model GM car), it turns out that this guy also was the best rebuilder in the country for Hondas and where all of the dealerships in Southern California were sending their work to.

Long story short. In Japan, the Odyssey is sold with a 4 cylinder engine only. When they brought it to the U.S., they put a V6 in it, but they didn't re-design the transmission since it was within spec.

But add fat Americans (relative to Japanese people), heavy loads, quick starts and MUCH faster driving than in Japan and the clutch packs simply burn themselves out due to not being able to handle the extra torque and weight. Evidently according to him, this affects almost all 6 cylinder cars from Honda as it's a major cost to design a brand new transmission for a V6 which only gets sold in the U.S. The Odyssey is a definite "don't even consider buying it" according to him. As in sell it before it fails again.

The CVT, he's not a fan of.(well, he makes good money off of them... just saying...) Shocker. New untested technology. Who would have guessed?

The skinny on Honda? Manual or 4 cylinder only.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    I see your point :)

I remember borrowing an 89 Civic Si from a relative to drive some friends...everyone was amazed at how fast it was; 0-60 in mid 8's

btw...very fun to drive