Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,708
    I always thought that would make a great Ford commercial - GM owner trying to contact OnStar while Ford owner punches in keycode and drives away.

Split screen - both people get to their car and realize they're locked the keys inside. One starts to call GM (timer starts running). The other gets into their Ford.

Second part of the ad - the first person is just getting their car unlocked via OnStar while the other person returns with the kids from school.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,634
    It is kind of surprising Ford doesn't market the "keypad" access.

Like I mentioned earlier, Onstar certainly has nice features, but if you lock your phone and keys in your car (which I've done), it won't do you much good until you find another phone.

What I like about the keypad is it's a fairly low tech simple way to gain access to your vehicle. No phone, no keys, no problem;) Just enter your code and you're in.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    this is a good point. as much as everyone here likes to argue for their favorites, this class is extremely competitive, and there are a ton of fine choices. You can pretty much buy any of the 6-to players and get a fine automobile.

so, like in this test, try them all and buy whatever floats your boat the highest.

one thing that bothers me is they seem to always leave the Legacy out of the tests. I drove one last year when we were looking at outbacks (to try out the new powertrain), and it is a really, really nice car. if I was looking in this class, it would certainly be on my short list.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• I haven't driven the Accord much since it's for my "main squeeze". She likes and appreciates a spirited car(hence the V6) so, I haven't tested the ACC.
    We both prefer the "European" road handling although I have some misgivings about the OEM Michelin tires.
    It's a very solid, quiet, spunky handler.
    Honda/Acura simply makes a product that appeals to my driving taste with most of what I want in a car, at a reasonable price.
    MB is the only brand that competes BUT, at a 20% markup.
    This is my personal view and I'm simply an enthusiast.
    Keep in mind, I still love my 8 yo V70 5cylinder 6MT, bought my first "brick" in 1972!
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,062
    My 94 SHO had the keypad.... it's comforting for leaving the key in it for a spouse/family member to pic up later too.

There is no ignition key hole for my keys to be left in though in the first place. I just walk up to my car and it automatically unlocks as long as the key-fob is in my pocket. Then I hop in and hit start. The Optima is the lowest priced car with keyless entry w/ start button. Since the fob never leaves my pocket, then I never leave it in the car. (I am just sayin') :blush:

It also has a trunk pressure pad so I can open the trunk w/o a key or digging for the fob. It just opens and I dump whatever in it and go.
    Oh yeah...those early Volvo turbos...like the 1984 240 sedan with the rims is like an O.G. sport sedan. They were cool looking bricks!!. Then in the mid 90's the 850 R wagon was awesome. Then the V-70 of which you are acquainted.

Right on man! On your Honda allegiance, the 6 speed auto V6 Accord sedan is a rocket. I like the quality and cool looking dash with the dual screens. If it was my money, today; that is what would be in my garage.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,898
    The Optima is the lowest priced car with keyless entry w/ start button

No, it is not. The Mazda3 i Touring has it and costs thousands less than the Optima. The Optima doesn't get it until you hit the EX model. The Nissan Altima has it standard in the base Altima which costs thousands less than the Optima EX. There are probably others.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    New Mazda6 has it as well for just over 20k in the sport model. 25.5k for the Accord so a little more than the Kia.
    Wrong. 2013 Kia Optima LX has keyless entry on all doors. Mazda3 sedan, all variants, are not mid size sedans. 2013 Optima LX $19,990.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,459
    The reviewers seem pretty comfortable with the Accord, maybe too comfortable?
    The positives were played up (engine/trans smoothness, quality of interior materials), but the negatives were glossed over (noise, dashboard mess).
    Those are things you live with every day.
    A lot of people don't like MyFord Touch, but one good feature is a similar interface between different models.
    Think of Accord, CR-V and Pilot all having the same climate/nav/radio controls.
    Once you learn them, it's easy to transition from one to another.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 887
    We just bought a Honda Accord EX-L. That article was very interesting to me because it mirrored our impressions exactly. Although we liked many features of the Nissan Altima, we ultimately liked driving the Accord the best of all. And for once the Accord is actually a quiet car! I love the purr of the engine. I also really like the dashboard and am appreciating it more the more I drive it.
    edited March 2013
    I guess that all depends on what your previous experience was.
    The Accord is quieter than it used to be, but I have yet to read a review that says it is quiet.
    Boy, I would think that if you are going to call somebody wrong you would at least do some elementary research. Check the Kia website under 2013 Optima "Features and Options". The smartkey and push button start is not even available on the LX. It's standard on the EX on up. The base Altima is much cheaper than the Optima EX.

And you did not say midsize sedans, you said it was the "lowest price"car" that had BOTH keyless entry and keyless ignition. I know this is the midsize sedan thread but we often mention other cars in here.
    Actually quite a few reviews have mentioned it. I have never been a fan of Honda partly because of the noise. This one is different. My previous car was a Nissan Maxima which we loved dearly.
    I'm willing to learn. Post links to some of those reviews.
    Source: AOL Auto's.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Honda engines purr and sound happy at work. Even when pushed hard they growl in a more refined and happy tiger-like way, rather than sounding like a tortured mechanical animal that's being hurt.

A spot-on description that I have experienced in Honda/Acuras over many years of ownership. Another very sweet sounding engine I had in the past was a V6 in a 97 Nissan Maxima SE.
    Again, if you're going to say someone is wrong you might want to check better sources.....like the manufacturer.