Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    Some of the Autoweek reviewers mentioned quiet, but I didn't see anything in the Edmunds written review or video (more like an infomercial).
    I guess that can be construed as confirmation of quiet, since noise was not mentioned. ;)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,680
    As an owner of a 2013 Accord EXL sedan, I can definitely say it's a quiet car now. It's significantly quieter than my 2008 EXL Accord. I don't think it beats the best of the competition when it comes to quiet, it just equals them, whereas before road noise one of the Accord's weak spots.
    You are comparing to a 2008 Accord, so of course it's quieter. Comparing to anything else?
  • The 2013 Touring compares very favorably to the 2005 S80, 2007 E350 & 2010 TL especially considering the battle scarred roads between NJ and Long Island.
    I didn't push the throttle beyond low 60s on the way home though.
    In my view, this car is a freakin' bargain!
    I've been in a previous generation Camry, Fusion, and Altima, and it equals or exceeds those. But I've not yet been in the new generations of those cars.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,179
    Hi guys. It snowed in the DC region this morning, and VDOT did not treat the roads as there was only a 30% chance.....

This was the first time I have driven my car in the snow, and I was pleasantly surprised. The car stayed planted and I had no trouble climbing a few very steep hills in the area with 4" of packed, untreated snow. FYI. The highway was a slushy mess and I still felt very secure, even when changing lanes and crossing over the ridges between lanes.
  • tundradweller1tundradweller1 Posts: 74
    edited March 2013
    Driving through a series of some favorite corners today at double the suggested 35 mph speed the 6 was glued to the road. Even with all the winter sand scattered about.
    Over 300 miles and cannot find a fault, though still in the honeymoon phase :blush: . Can't wait to drive it hard after some more variable rpm break-in driving.
    I'm still in the honeymoon phase after 15k! I look forward to my morning commute; just for the pure pleasure of a drive in to the city. The exit I take puts me in a downhill sweeper with a fast left bend that puts you around the Pentagon (the side that got hit by the plane on 9/11)...and I always see other guys enjoying it as much as I do. then it's 1 mile to the Memorial bridge. Fast, fun, and a great view! :D
    Picked my Fusion Feb 28th. Finally filled it up for the first time on Monday.
    The fuel gauge was not down to empty, but the DTE was at zero when I started it up.
    It only took 12.5 gallons, so now that I have reset everything, maybe I'll get some more accurate readings.
    This car has some power. When I first noticed the speedometer goes up to 160, I thought 'yeah right'. I'm sure the top speed is limited, but...
    It kind of reminds me of my first SHO, which was good for 140, but this car has 20% more power.
    The Fusion weighs a lot more, though.
    The printed top speed for the Fusion, by Car and Driver, was 120 mph. The article listed both the 1.6 and the 2.0 EcoBoost engines.

The article is here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-fusion-16-and-20-ecoboost-first-dr- ive-review

To be honest, it sounds a little low for the 2.0. model, but top speed has a LOT more to do with tire rating than it does with capability. My car's top speed is 131 mph. Chances are I will never see it, but it's good to know in case I am running from the feds.
  • The actual top speed for the 2013 Fusion 2.0 is estimated to be around 151mph, but it's electronically limited to 120mph, so the actual top speed is very close to the 160mph top speed shown on the speedometer, if you tune it to eliminate the speed limiter. See here: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2013/1596770/ford_fusion_2_0l_ecoboost.htm- l
    Oh yeah, I totally agree. These cars are very aerodynamic and efficient, and have more gears than we could've imagined. I was just quoting the specs, not capability. Almost all of the reviews I have read govern the cars based on the tire specs. Some cars just run out of steam, others are governed.

I don't think my car has a prayer, with only 200hp, of topping 130. I bet you are right on the money on the swoopy new Fusion 2.0 at 150mph. I read that it has a. 27 drag co-efficient. Only super-cars used to have that kind of aerodynamics. Plus of course it has 40 more HP, and a ton more torque.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,663
    Only super-cars used to have that kind of aerodynamics.

Actually I think it's the opposite...usually the super cars have a very bad drag co-efficient. The only one I remember was the Bugatti...at about .40.

I think it's the huge tires and down force which give a bad co-efficient...still has enough power to get the job done :)
    Yes!, The Veyron has active aerodynamics depending on the driving situation. The wing pops up at certain speeds and at different angles, plus it acts as an air-brake during deceleration. What I am attempting to say is just how much of a technologically advanced car we can get for 20 to 30 grand.

Here is an except from wiki answers on drag: "The average modern automobile achieves a drag coefficient of between 0.30 and 0.35. SUVs, with their typically boxy shapes, typically achieve a Cd of 0.35–0.45. The drag coefficient of a vehicle is impacted by the shape of body of the vehicle. Various other characteristics impact the coefficient of drag as well, and are taken into account in these examples. Some sports cars have a surprisingly high value for a drag coefficient, but this is to compensate for the amount of lift the vehicle generates, while others use aerodynamics to their advantage to gain speed and have much lower coefficients of drag".
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Total drag is coefficient x frontal area. Sports cars tend to have small frontal areas.
    edited March 2013
    On a recent trip, we had a 2013 Camry as a rental. It was a good car, but it definitely was not quite as good as our new Accord, imho.

The engine and transmission combo in the Camry is very good, however, providing nice power and good economy. That's probably where the Camry is closest to the Accord, but the Accord still has the edge, I think, in engine sound, mpg, and probably acceleration as well.

The interior of the Camry seems like a mish-mash of parts that don't always mesh well together or look integrated. The sewn vinyl layer on the top of the dashboard is more odd than lux looking. And hard plastic parts found elsewhere in the dash (particularly the part near the legs of the driver and front passenger) seem cheap.

There are some important standard features on the Accord that the Camry doesn't have, like dual zone climate control, back up camera, and perhaps something else I can't think of right now.

The styling of the Camry is perhaps the weakest in the midsize class, although I know that's very subjective.
    Yeah, on the new Camry, many reviews have said that the interior was put together by committee, and that the "aluminum" trim is squishy and can be dented by a fingernail. Also, You are also not the only one who thought the vinyl layer on top of the dash was odd.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    C/D reviews the base Mazda6 in their May issue. It's nice to see a review on a base model for once, instead of loaded $30k sedans. Since it has a stick, it's not a car a lot of people will put into their garages. But the C/D folks noted that it's a sedan that would fit well alongside a sports car in those garages.

A little bigger than what I need for my next car, otherwise I'd seriously consider adding it to my garage. Although there's no sports car in it right now. :)
    Cool. I'd better go check the mail for my May C/D issue. I drove the 6i briefly, and I liked it. Unfortunately, there was nowhere nearby to drive it in a sporting manner.
  • savethelandsavetheland Posts: 671
    I do not know if it was mentioned here but new 2013 Ford Fusion still uses 6 speed transmission 6F35 at least with 2.0T. This transmission was nothing but nightmare since it was first used in 2010 - 2012 Fusion and Escape. As recently as end of 2012 none of reported problems were fixed. I am not sure if they fixed issues in 2013 but I have doubts. It may be design issue which Ford dealerships cannot fix. According the reports issues start right away in brand new cars. CR confirms it by giving 2010 Fusion solid black dot in major and minor transmission problems area.