Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    edited April 2013
    Mazda can't ship enough cars over here even if they could sell them.

Yeah, they just don't have the capacity to be in the top sales tier. That was also true when they weren't made in Japan but in Flat Rock, Mi. They are a smaller company, smaller advertising budget, fewer dealers and always marketed to a somewhat smaller segment looking for a sporty drive in a family hauler body. I always chuckle when people say "they will never sell as many 6's as Camry, Accord or Altima". Really??? It's kind of like Mcdonalds and Wendys. Wendy's will concievably never sell as many burgers for much the same reasons I've mentioned but it doesn't mean they can't make a profit or that their burgers are inferior.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,451
    The 6F35 was first used in 2009 in the Escape/?mariner/Tribute.
    I thought it was earlier, but I guess that was a different trans.
    We have a 2009 Escape, which I knew has that trans.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,451
    I kind of feel like because of the cheap 2 year lease deals, reliability is a tougher call.
    Not too much usually goes wrong in 20-30k miles, and after that the next buyer doesn't really know what the car's past history is.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,053
    I found out that the Optima's sold in Canada are made in Korea, not in the USA. Why? Why would Kia ship cars 6500 miles from Korea instead of 1300 miles from the US? High export tariffs/taxes?

On Ford's alleged "big problem" with it's 6F35 6 speed automatic...I never even heard of it until I saw a post here. I looked it up on the Fusion forums and was able to confirm there were problems with Fusions and Escapes since late 2009, but I can't find info on what percentage of cars are actually affected.

On the Mazda 6, I agree with the host here that it is a 2014 model and can't compete yet in sufficient numbers with the big players in this segment. I CAN say this. I see a WHOLE LOT of Mazda 3's out there, and if the 6 is similarly successful, then they will be a major player indeed.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,707
    edited April 2013
    Canadian regulations are different enough from the U.S. regulations in terms of little worthless junk like lights (same but not govt approved) and gauges (KM vs U.S.) and bumpers and all of that that it takes too long to re-tool and have a second assembly process for Canadian cars. The Canadian cars are hardly any different from the cars that they sell to Europe and the rest of the world, so they have U.S. plants essentially making U.S. versions.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Your car looks great. Continued good luck with it.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 388
    I think it may also have to do with the fact that the factory can only turn out enough for the US market, Canadian regs aren't that different anymore BTW, and if they were made in the US ( don't know if they need a certain North American content for this though) they would be part of the auto pact ( and free trade agreement) and not have duty, of course I think we have some sort of free trade agreement with Korea too so who knows? Our current government is very big on having free trade agreements with everyone, so that all our labour can be shipped offshore ( just like the states were trying to do).
    edited April 2013
    I understand, but my car (and most others) can switch to metric w/a push of a button, and is also available with DRL's.

A new regulation in Quebec requires car owners to outfit their cars with winter/snow tires that have a special symbol stamped on the sidewall that it meets certain winter weather performance standards. So basically the Canadian government requires a substantial investment by its citizens for a set of snow tires. Most would have them mounted on separate set of rims in order for use to be practical.

This is in response to the amount of needless deaths /injuries, and property damage which costs millions. FYI.
  • savethelandsavetheland Posts: 671
    Given Honda's trouble with AT in the past I suspected that there will be issues with new CVT. And sure enough there are. From I what I read new Accord does not look like better choice than Fusion from reliability point of view and I have yet to see reported problems with 2013 Fusion which has an advantage of using transmission which is in production 4 years already. I suspect that new Mazda6 may also have troublesome transmission and engine given it is brand new vehicle. Saying that choosing car on predicted (by CR) reliability alone may not work well if it was redesigned and have new components.

It is interesting that nobody mentions Passat. I remember not so long ago people were dying to get their hands on Passat. Not anymore?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    SNB.

(Shiny New Ball syndrome)

:)
    edited April 2013
    LOL. I heard that all CVT's were made from unsold treadmills. :shades:
    Thanks man. Turtle Wax quick wax and Armor All tire foam work wonders after a good weekly hand wash.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    heh...nice :P
    On NTSA site I found 10 complaints regarding 2013 Accord (5 about transmission/powertrain and 5 about engine) vs 2 complaints regarding 2013 Ford Fusion ( 1 transmission and 1 engine). Just interesting statistics. I guess people really pissed off go to NTSA website to file a formal complaint. It is also should be safety related. Link is http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov. Mazda6 is too new so I did not look up.

For Fusion transmission alone number of complaint by year:
    2009 - 1
    2010 - 118
    2011 -18
    2012 - 10
    2013 - 1

You can really see the sharp spike in 2010 when 6F32 was first introduced. It looks like they fixed something (may be valve bore design) in 2011. But still not as trouble free as Aisin TF-80 6-speed and Mazda FNR5 5-speed used in 2009.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    edited April 2013
    That Ford 6speed is a joint design between Ford and GM. I wonder if the GM vehicles with GM's version also had some issues?

My brother has a 2010 Fusion Sport with the 3.5 v6 and he's not had any trouble with it so far.
  • No doubt the GM parts are the problem! Why on Earth would Ford ever agree to work with GM on anything anyway? That kinda defeats the whole point of Ford vs Chevy, doesn't it?
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    No doubt the GM parts are the problem! Why on Earth would Ford ever agree to work with GM on anything anyway? That kinda defeats the whole point of Ford vs Chevy, doesn't it?

LOL. I think back then, Ford and GM were scrambling for updated transmissions and neither was in good financial condition.
  • tundradweller1tundradweller1 Posts: 74
    edited April 2013
    In the rather long, drawn out process of test driving and researching cars it came down to two brands. Honda and Mazda. Test driving the Accord LX, then the Mazda 6 I Touring, the Accord Sport and finally the Mazda I Sport.

Strictly from a over all driving dynamic it was not even close. The Mazda was well composed when driven hard into the corners and sublime while cruising on the Highway. It honestly felt like a BMW in this regard. While the Honda's were transferring every road irregularity and did not feel as stable when pushed to the edge of traction, they also offered less braking feedback.
    The auto transmission was much better in the Mazda as was the electronic steering feel.
    Ergonomically the lay outs were a tie, the seats are better in the Mazda. Site lines were better in the Honda. Front seats recline almost flat in the Mazda and the 60/40 rear fold downs are much better than the oval opening, single seat section offered in the Honda.
    Outward appearance, the Accords look positively pedestrian compared to the Mazda 6, especially while viewing them almost side by side at the auto show.
    The overall package offered by the new Mazda 6, especially for the value, is hard to deny.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa266/tundratom/BestCarPic_zpse0865fa7.jpg
    No, GM does not have problems no matter what Government bailout hater trolls try to tell you - just look for statistics (open CR e.g.). It is not transmission design issue but it is how it is executed. Ford may use different materials or shortcuts. Valve bore e.g. may be designed differently or from less durable materials e.g.

3.5L Fusion does not have 6F35 transmission. It has same Aisin transmission as MKZ (which is problem free). 6F35 does not handle torque that 3.5L produces.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    Nice Pix! Haven't driven the new 6, but it sure does look good.

Did you buy one? If so, congrats! Great car+++