Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,049
    edited May 2013
    Good idea. No, I used the address a home that I sold a few years back.

The point was made that my drive, while all "highway", requires me to merge onto three different major roads and the commute is very hilly. Now that I thin about it, there is no way for me to get a true highway figure unless I go on a real highway trip.
    I just booked a beach house rental 400 miles away down near Emerald Island, NC. This trip should give me a true highway figure, as the roads closer to the coast are all very flat. Heck, I am looking forward to the drive and the MPG test more than the vacation! I guess I am a true gear-head. :)
    It's too bad they don't sell the 3rd gen models here. There is a really cool 2nd Gen red one nearby. I will snap a photo for ya.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Your point (and mine) still stand. At least Hyundai has attempted to make reparations for the error of their ways (however intentional or not). Eyes are now on Ford for the hybrid vehicles not living up to the standards set.

Full disclosure: I drive a 2009 Sonata, GLS V6. Rated 19/29. I drive 90% interstate; my mpg average is 31.1 as of lunchtime today. I do limit my speeds to 75 mph or so (highest limit in Alabama is 70), we do have some hills.

I'm not a sold-out Hyundai guy. My prior two vehicles were Accords. I'm actively car-shopping right now; Altima, Accord, and Ram 1500 Pentastar. No Hyundai is on my shopping list - juts wanted to let you know I'm not batting for Hyundai - but the numbers argument is a moot point to me. If you're buying your car because of a 40mpg rating over a 38 mpg rating, you might be too boring to be my friend. ;)
    edited May 2013
    Awesome! No really I understand. I liked the car because of its looks and the warranty. The good gas mileage was just a bonus, and coming out of a V8 SUV that got 14MPG....25mpg is great....just not what was advertised.

A recent Motortrend tested a Prius vs a CMax. They chose the CMAX hands down So, the authors neighbor asked him which one he should buy, and he told him the C-MAX. So, his dips*** neighbor went out and bought the Prius anyway, over 2mpg. Now that guy cannot be my friend. He asked a professional car reviewer what he should buy and then doesn't take the advise? What an a**.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    Actually real world the Prius kills the cmax in mileage. Ford has really dropped the ball. The V-6 Accord gets the same mpg as the 1.6 liter ecoboost Fusion. The new fords have a nice driving feel, but they are horrible on gas. The EPA should look into their numbers.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,446
    Cmax has a lot more power than the Prius.
    EPA tests are short and Cmax can run longer on battery.

How about a history lesson?

2004 Prius Mileage

2005 mileage same car

What changed and why?
    The interior of the Prius V is atrocious. First, the I-P looks like a 1989 SOUNDESIGN stereo. Instrument Panel in the middle? Instead of right in front of me? It's just a cheap flat slab of a thing with mismatched buttons and readouts that look designed by committee. The materials are inferior, it has virtually no sound deadening materials. It cannot compete in any real way with the C-MAX in driving dynamics. It is one of the worst handling vehicles on the market. To it's credit it has a very durable drivetrain. I have heard reports from NYC cab drivers Assn that they are "bulletproof", but for close to $36,000 there is NO WAY I would ever buy one.

Does the Prius get 2 MPG better than C-MAX in SOME categories? Yes, but there are two different C-Max models, and 3 different Prius models. It depends on your driving. These vehicles are designed to excel in mixed driving, not 90% highway where the electric motor and the batteries are just DEAD WEIGHT.
    I don't think Ford dropped the ball at all. They have stepped up to the plate.
    Is the 1.6 Ecoboost underpowered in a 3600 lb car? Yes for around metro DC. I posted a hundred times a few months back that the motor will be overworked. Not a good combo for durability, IMO.
    Also, if I hear the word "Ecoboost" one more time I will scream.
    My sister had a Gen II Prius and has a Prius V, both of which I have driven and ridden in multiple times.
    For the most part, I agree with your assessment of the V, but it does drive tighter than a Gen II.
    If you like the 'triple crown' of noise, engine tire and wind, it's great.
    Basically, on the highway, it's good for people who are hard of hearing.
  • I would rather walk than drive a Prius.....
    I would rather walk than drive anything. I drive when it is too far to walk.

Judging by our collective waistlines I am clearly in the minority though. ;)
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 198
    edited May 2013
    I would rather walk than drive a Prius.....
    ME TOO. We have good friends who own a 2006 prius - 76 hp on the gas; 67 hp on the battery. THIS for a nearly 4,000 lb car. Absolutely gutless! We refuse to ride in it as we see it as an accident waiting to happen. Although there is no shortage of them on the road, I would not dare to merge onto the interstate in one of them. Aside from that, I believe it has the absolute cheapest, hardest plastic of any vehicle I've been in (except the toyota venza).
    edited May 2013
    Really? The Venza has cheap plastic? With the 3.5 liter V6; (268 HP) the Venza is the only Toyota product that I think is attractive. It rides on the Camry platform, as does the Lexus ES 350 and the RX-350/400h)

I have never bothered to look at the interior, since I don't need the space of a wagon/crossover. On the other hand, I like a lot of Lexus products. The IS 250/350 looks a lot like my car. Anyway, have a good weekend all, and please don't take it personally if I slam a car you like! I love to argue. :shades:

PS: Don't forget the roses and chocolate for the moms on Sunday!
    First - the Prius is nowhere near 4,000 lbs. Edmunds lists it as 2,890 for that year. With 110 hp combined it does fine. 26 lbs / hp. Certainly not a sports car, but plenty safe for being on the roads. How does it compare to some other vehicles on the road? How about a nice brawny Chevrolet Suburban from 1995 with a 5.7 liter V-8. Well it has 200 hp and weighed 5,700 lbs so it has 28.5 lbs / hp - worse than the Prius. Yet I doubt many who drove those beasts at the time thought they were too slow to be on the road.

What about crash test results? Does the small size of the Prius hurt it? Look at the two links below and see that the Prius scores a Good while the 2003 Ford F-150 (most popular vehicle in the country) got one of the worst scores ever recorded. Look at the two vehicles and see which you would rather be in after the same crash.

Ford Truck
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=7&seriesid=327

Prius
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=641&seriesid=566

Must not have owned a car in the 70's. Full sized v-8 engines barely had over 110 hp back then. Now that was slow.

No I don't own a Prius, but I would gladly trade some of my cars speed for some extra mpg. You can't hardly buy a midsized sedan these days that won't go 130 mph, and most will go much faster (if ungoverned).
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 198
    Not only is the venza full of cheap, hard shiny plastic - the fit and finish (particularly the dash) is very poor. Stop at any toyota dealership and look at a venza dash, then look at any other new car on the lot and ask yourself which has the worst fit and finish.
    Comparing a specific test with a pre 04 F150 and an 04 Prius isn't exactly fair.
    Both were redesigned for '04.
    My real world experience with an '00 Expedition is that they are pretty tough, even with only 3 wheels after a collision.
    I know I'm replying to myself, but I don't want to completely trash the 'V'. It's roomy and gets pretty good mileage.
    edited May 2013
    Well, the 1998 Suburban has 255 HP and 310 ft lbs (horsepower still sucks for a 350 ci ice) and the 2001 Suburban had a 5.3 putting out 285 and 330 lb ft

The Prius 5, 3365 lbs was the model compared to the C-MAX (3659 lbs), and Toyota really didn't want Motortrend to do it. Also, the C-MAX is rated 47/47, and the Prius 44/40. how does either do in the real world during Motortrend's review? Prius 39.4, C-MAX, 37.3. However, in low speed, city driving the author did say that the C-MAX comes out on top with it's larger battery and motor. The C-MAX won the comparison.
    The comparison is in Motortrend April 2013 on page 68.

In short, I like sedans!! The Prius is my polar opposite... Maybe even my car's nemesis! If I needed to get 40 mpg, I would buy a Passat TDI or wait for the Mazda 6 2.2 TD with 173 hp and 310 lb ft!!
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    I would rather walk in a full body cast than drive a Prius. I want power and room. I would like to squash a Prius beneath my Highlander Limited V6 AWD.
  • tundradweller1tundradweller1 Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    If you are going to spend 30 large on a sedan, this is a interesting consideration. Watch the video....

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/04/motortrend-praises-new-mercedes-benz.html
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    edited May 2013
    I would rather walk in a full body cast than drive a Prius. I want power and room.

Not much room in a full body cast :confuse:

I would like to squash a Prius beneath my Highlander Limited V6 AWD.

Really? Wow. Aside from the obvious questionable rationale behind this proclamation, it also has quite the disconnect. It happens right here: "beneath my Highlander V6 AWD".
    Pretty sure it would leave a mark..
    :(