Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,061
    edited June 2013
    The following info was found on the official Kia of America web site; http://www.kmmgusa.com/

"On Nov. 16, 2009, Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia, Inc. (KMMG) began mass production of the 2011 Kia Sorento, the first vehicle produced at the brand new state-of-the-art facility in West Point, Ga.There were several important events leading up to that momentous day at Kia’s first North American automobile manufacturing plant including the announcement on March 13, 2006, that a Site Acquisition and Development Agreement had been signed between the State of Georgia and Kia Motors America (KMA), Kia’s sales and marketing headquarters in the United States, to bring the $1 billion plant to the 2,259-acre site in Georgia. This project is the largest in the state’s history.

A grand opening ceremony was held at the plant on Feb. 26, 2010.

Since then, the Kia Sorento has taken off as the most successful Kia vehicle of all-time in the U.S., leading the way with record-breaking sales since production began. This is a testament to the focus and pride each KMMG team member places on building a quality vehicle.

KMMG has now hired more than 3,000 team members at its West Point location. When factoring in positions created at suppliers throughout the region, more than 10,000 jobs have been created in association with KMMG.

In April of 2011, KMMG began a $100 million expansion project that would increase the plant’s capacity from 300,000 to more than 360,000 vehicles per year, starting in 2012.

On Sept. 2, 2011, KMMG officially began mass production of its second Kia product, the 2012 Optima and now has three full shifts operating at the plant 24 hours a day/five days per week".

In total, Kia built 1.6 million vehicles as of August 2012.

I was following a top of the line 2013 Optima SX-L on a local road yesterday, and I noticed that he had removed "Optima" from the back of his car, and replaced the "KIA" emblem on the trunk with "K" badges. So, I had a feeling that he was on the enthusiast site. (www.optimaforums.com). At the light it turned out he was so we exchanged pleasantries. It really is a small world...after all!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I've got a 2013 Fusion and have experienced the same thing.
    Try experimenting with lowering various windows.
    I have a sunroof and usually drive with it cracked open and the right rear window down.
    The air gets sucked in the back window and swirls around to the left side and forward, then out the roof.
    It provides a nice breeze.

I do the exact same thing in my '09 Sonata GLS V6 with a sunroof. Great breeze!
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    One of those Altimas was mine...I bought a 2.5 SV in May...
    Yes, the called me back saying they would be willing to work with me, after all, but it was too late. I'm very happy with the Altima. The Intelligent Key and satellite radio are used every day--and I would have had neither one of them in the Accord LX.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 887
    SV is a higher trim level than the Accord LX. Comparable to SV on the Accord would be the EX, and those features are included. Enjoy your Altima; it's a great car.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,677
    A reporter would like to speak to a couple who recently purchased a family car together. If you and your spouse have kids, purchased a car within the past six months and would like to share your story with a journalist, please send your daytime contact information at pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, June 11, 2013 at 2 p.m. PT/5 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Oh yeah. I love walking out of the dealership until they cave in! Also, I feel the same way about my Satellite radio, Bluetooth, Pandora, start button, and leather. Enjoy your Altima. I love the way it looks from the side and the back. let me now how the CVT feels over like the next 5,000 miles.

I have to admit that I have not been inside a new Accord in person, but in the detailed pictures I have seen, it looks like a lot of car for $22,470 (LX) or 24, 490. (Sport). Of course, I would be all over the Sport if I lived in an area where the 6 speed stick would be more appropriate. I am almost glad it wasn't available when I bought the Optima because I would have agonized over the decision!!
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    cski: Good info! Thanks++ West Point, Georgia is letting the good times roll, in very small part thanks to you....
    edited June 2013
    I found out that the last phase of the negotiations for the deal between the state of GA and the president of Kia were done in a bar on cocktail napkins, passed back and forth with figures on them, until both parties agreed. So many great things have been done that way, the old fashioned way, by sitting down and working things out face to face.

I think we need to keep that in mind in an increasingly technical world, that a handshake means something, and honoring that handshake means something more. Honesty and keeping ones word.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    cski: Great story. Thanks for sharing that. What you say is true.

It's certainly been a win-win for Georgia and KIA.
  • albanytimalbanytim Posts: 18
    Sorry to nitpick, but every time I see "KIA" I think "Killed in Action". "Kia" is the car company.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    test drove accord today-- ex-l-- nice enough car but disappointed in the radio-- only 12 presets for XM? you got to be kidding me. plus their fancy "blind spot" passenger side camera is a lot of flash bu that's about it-- and the convex mirror on driver side is cheap as a blind spot monitor-- - they should just have a light shine on or near each mirror like most blind spot technologies have (camry, mazda 6, altima). i do like the driver side seat memory on the ex-l-- i suspect upper trim camry's will get this in a year or so. and it drives nice. but overall, those 12 presets on the XM has me shaking my head.
    edited June 2013
    LOL. My KIA was killed in action today! :sick: Tire blew out on really ragged pavement. I didn't even try to use the "tire mobility kit" which is essentially (well ACTUALLY) is a fancy can of fix-a-flat and a compressor. Optima LX and EX do not have spares (in an all out effort to increase MPG).

Progressive roadside assistance was awesome guys. Flatbed driver dropped me off at my door after waiting for me to fill out paperwork at the shop. I called his boss and put in a good word for him.

NTB/Merchants does not have my OEM tires in stock, so I had to order them.

PS: The tow truck driver said he tows more hybrids than any other type of modern sedan.
    EX Optima has 24 Sirius presets.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 887
    You know what matters to you. Did you drive on a freeway though? That's where you really appreciate the right turn camera. I am liking it more and more the longer I drive mine. Radio presets aren't a big deal to me, but I loved the power driver AND passenger seats. We sure have a lot of choices now.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,459
    My Fusion has 18 Sat radio presets and I use maybe 10.
    It took me a couple of months before I tuned to FM and realized I had not set anything.
    My Altima also has 18 presets. I have all 18 set; but, I only listen to 9 or 10 of them with any regularity. I haven't listened to FM radio in weeks.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    Don't know how accord can only have 12 presents for XM radio-- very disappointing. Camry has the best radio in that you can have 36 presents and have as many AM/FM/XM as you want-- you can have an AM station on one preset, and an XM on the next one-- you don't need to switch to an XM band or an AM band. Wish all radios were like that,
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623
    How could you possibly find 36 stations worth listening to on FM/AM/XM?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,654
    If you do happen to save 36 stations...

Then all you need to do is set your auto-scan on...and search through all your stations every 10 seconds. In 6 minutes you're done and can start from the top again since you've forgotten anything worth listening to; and more than likely what you did find interesting has already ended.

This way you can have a perpetual scan where you do not need to commit to any channel...