Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,049
    The link that I sent you included step by step instructions on how to replace the sensor. If you are not able to do it yourself, that is totally understandable. I will do my own brake pads, alternator and water pump's, but that is the limit of my ability, tools, and patience. :mad: :sick: :confuse:

At least familiarize yourself with the procedure AND the price of the temp probe, so that your local shop doesn't try to tell you they have to take the whole engine out or some other nonsense.

I think there is a a repair forum here on Edmund's, and maybe that would be a more appropriate venue on repairdiscussions and info. FYI :)
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    I think a black leather interior is the best looking, but I have found that since I bought my 2009 Ford Fusion with black leather in the summer it can be unbearable. The heat build up in my car after it has sat for a couple of hours in the hot 90 degree sun while I am in visiting one of my accounts is terrible. The seats continue to emit heat awhile after the cars air temp lowers. The back of my shirt gets nice and moist. I would say that a close second would be a rich brown color. My Wife's Highlander Limited has a light Ash leather (Grey), but it is very nice looking and much cooler in the summer. I am very interested in replacing my fusion with the latest model. I saw that the 2014 Titanium, which is what I want, has added two interior leather colors and Heated and Cooled Front seats which would help even with black leather.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,938
    A reporter would like to speak to a recent buyer of a car from a manufacturer that is widely considered "American"--e.g. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Chrysler, Cadillac-- who has not previously owned an "American" car. If this is you, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 1, 2013 no later than noon Pacific.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    Thank you very much for your info, I made a copy so I have it with me when I decide if I can do it or how/what is involved so somebody doesn't try to pull a fast one on me. Of course that would never happen with all of our "super customer service" agencies. ;) I will be checking on all that stuff next week, as it is the first chance I have between doctors etc. Also, it has been unbearably hot temperatures around here for over a week now. I really appreciate all of these forums for what they offer us. Thanks again.
    van-lightfootfl
  • Not sure if this is the best forum to post, but here goes. My wife and I just purchased a Mazda6, Touring in Reflex Blue with the pleather interior. Had it for a month now. I wanted the 6 speed, but my wife's bum knees precluded that wish. Oh, I also wanted the Soul Red, but it was going to be her car, oh well. We are now a two Mazda family since I am still driving a 2002 Protege5 which I bought new June 2001. It is still going strong at 117,000+ miles and makes me grin every time I row the stick. Saw pictures of the new 3... awfully tempting! It was a no brainer for us to go back to Mazda for our second car since my Pro5 didn't have any mechanical issues in 12 years of ownership, other than a bad thermostat and recently a starter that wouldn't turn. Oh, I did go through a lot of expensive tires! Otherwise this car has been ultra-reliable and damn near bulletproof. I fully expect that our 6 will continue cruising along this same path. We looked at many other cars in the same class, but this one just felt and drove just right. Anyway, I am surprised and a bit disappointed that there isn't more of a buzz around this fantastic car. Thanks for reading. L
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Congrats on your new 6. I agree that it is shocking that there is virtually no buzz over on the Madza6 forums about the new 2014. So much for a people that are supposed to be a little more "enthusiust", you'd think there would be more talk about it. Love the car and my wife's 6 will be needing replacing in about a year and the new 6 will be top on our looksee list. I kind of hoping they have an improvement in the infotainment/nav system when they debut the 2015 Mazda6. The current tomtom based nav and the small(relatively) screen are not quite up to par with other midsize comps. But even if they don't improve that, it will still be #1 on the list. We will actually look at the new 3 as well as that has grown a little bit to be almost the same size(interior wise) as our 2007 Mazda6 and that has never proven to be too small for us.

Good luck on Mazdas!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    I think there is a large loyalty with existing brands.

I'm just basing this off my my personal experience with people I work with. The lady with a camry...purchased another camry...The guy with the 15 year old Accord wants another accord. It doesn't matter that 15 years has seen a huge shift in vehicles; he doesn't even want to test drive to compare competing models...just go with what he knows. The VW guy bought a new VW (Passat TDI...pretty nice), the Hyundai lady is looking at a new Hyundai...

btw, that 15 year old Accord has horrible NVH and power compared to anything new.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,049
    It's a gorgeous car, fantastically engineered from the ground up, quick (o to 60 in 7 seconds w/ the automatic), and drives like a sports car.

If it had been available when I bought my Optima, I might have bought it. Really.
  • It is kind of funny that we ended back to Mazda. Since we've been married, a long time now, we've owned a Subaru, 2 Hondas, Nissan and 2 Mazdas. I don't think you can consider us that brand loyal. But what really got me was the recent article in Consumer's Report April 2013 Car Issue that said the 3 most reliable car brands in order was Lexus, Subaru and Mazda. That kind of sealed it for me along with the first hand reliability experience of my old Pro5. We looked at so many brands this past year, that my wife was starting to dread the weekends. I love looking at cars and the whole test drive experience (dealerships must have hated me). We looked at Kia Optima Forte and Souls, Hyundai Sonata Elantras and Velosters, Honda CR-V Accord Civic Fit, Nissan Altima Cube, Toyota Prius Matrix and Mazda 3's 6's and Cx-5. As you can see, we were all over the board.

We ended up with the mid-level 6, no navigation package. She really wanted a sunroof, but unfortunately could not get it at that trim level. Almost a problem, but didn't want to move up to the next level at a $5,000 jump in cost since it wasn't worth it to us. Although the touch screen is small compared to other makes, simply having a back up camera screen is amazing since we never had one in any of our older cars. Image is very clear and surprisingly works well in dim light. The month before we bought the 6, we were given a Garmin Nuvi with the lane assist function and grew to really like the unit. Not having the built in Tom Tom unit in the 6 was not a big deal to us.

So far we love the car both for its performance and the incredible way it looks. Actually hit 37mpg on the highway to NC last weekend (not even broken in yet). Note that this was calculated and not an instantaneous reading. City driving gets about 29mpg, but I think my wife takes the Zoom Zoom thing to heart!

Oh well.
    I'd be interested in how you find the "pleather" seats after you've experienced them for awhile. Do they breath at all or do you stick to them? Do you think they will hold up as well as cloth or leather? I don't really care about sunroofs at all and I hate it that manufacturers package them with other items that I do want and can't get with also getting the sunroof.
  • Off topic a bit, also looked closely at the Ford Fusion, very impressed, Escape, Focus and C-Max.

Regarding our black pleather, I was pushing for the ivory color (lighter and not as heat absorbent), but wife didn't like the color. Since they are 100% synthetic, I would expect that it could be easily washed and wear well (I hope). So far, they seem to be holding up, but of course the car is still new. They seating surfaces don't seem to get as hot as leather and appear to be more sticky and not as slippery as leather. I never liked the feel of sliding out of your seat when braking. These almost feel like a brushed suede or micro fiber. I can tell you that they don't breathe as well as cloth, since I still feel like I stick to them during our humid VA summers, especially with shorts and t-shirts. I know that leather that is not treated often eventually dries out in time and cracks along the bolsters. I guess time will tell if it holds up.....
    I do like leather. I had two cars recently with leather and one I kept 13 years and the other 10 years. Both driver seats looked very good but had some dirty areas of wear. The rest of the seats were basically like new. I cleaned and put leather treatment on about twice a year for the first 5-6 years and then maybe once a year until the last couple of years of ownership and then lost interest. But I guess the work I did early on kept them in decent enough shape that they lasted through the last few years with little upkeep. I don't find myself sliding out of the seats unless it's a panic stop and then that's what the seat is for I reckon.

I'm not really a fan of the VW "pleather" as it seems to feel rubbery to me. Maybe after some use it smooths out some but it seemed like they could be very sticky in the summer. Are you familiar with the VW stuff and how it compares to the Mazda? I guess I just need to get to a Mazda dealer and check those seats out. I do wish you could get the touring version with cloth seats though.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    and pointed it out to my wife. She was not at all impressed or intrigued by it. Did not seem to think it was bigger than my 2005 Accord, though I promised her it was.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,102
    Brand Loyalty is very interesting when it comes to cars. If there's nothing out there that WOWs me when the lease is up on my 328xi next September, I'm most likely going to buy something that's reasonably priced and that's built well enough for me to drive for the next 10 years & 150 - 200K or so miles.

Besides my BMW, I've got a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH (bought new in April 2002) with 149K+ on the clock and my wife's 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation (bought new in May 2011) with over 37K on the odometer. If I end up shopping in the Mid Sized Sedans category, I might take a look at the Mazda 6, but would most likely end up with an Accord Sport. Although I do with Honda would offer a sunroof & lane watch with the Sport. I just know what makes Hondas "tick" and how they are supposed to drive. The dealer where I service the Pilot (Honda of Westport, CT) couldn't be better. I don't want to write anything else off before a test drive, but this does seem inevitable.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584
    I don't really have any. I just buy what I like that fits the needs at the time. Of course, reputation is a factor to consider, as is prior experience. but no way am I just going to buy a certain brand, just because that is what I always get.

I have 2 Acuras at the moment (down from 3 as of a week ago!), but when we were looking to replace the Odyssey last year, I was never expecting to get another Honda product. Just ended up being what the wife wanted (and good thing she still loves it, and goes out of her way to mention it quite often, because my wallet still hurts...). the other one is my son's TL that was a family "inheritance" .

when he finally gets a job and can get a new car, it could be another Acura (no chance a Honda). But, quite possibly not. And the Integra was just a used car I happened to stumble upon (not at all planned)

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• suydamsuydam Posts: 882
    My brand loyalty is to that group of makes that consistently have good records for reliability, fuel economy, and enjoyment -- Nissan, Honda, Mazda -- rather than just one. I've owned two of each of those makes and had good experiences with them so I generally look at those makes when its time to replace a vehicle. We usually have one car that we love to drive from that group and one that's an around-town errand and dog-car -- totally basic and practical (that usually tends to be a Toyota; right now its a Pontiac Vibe).
    I'm obviously not going to "blindly buy" just because its a Honda. I've got to like whatever I buy. All other factors being equal, I'd most likely choose a Honda if nothing WOWs me.

This is a very competitive segment for sure & there is no clear "winner." I'll do more narrowing down at the NY Auto Show next year, then put a more definitive short list together.

I'm actually parked next to a relatively basic fusion (small wheels, no sunroof) & peeked inside to check out the interior. Looks very well designed & laid out.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

That's o good way of thinking as well. I'll always have my Prelude (fun car, love to drive it). I also LOVE my BMW, but after 1 yr & 3 months (of a 2 1/2 year lease) and over 25,000 miles, I have come to the realization that I don't need The Ultimate Driving Machine for my 6 day/week, 65 mile round trip commute.

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    I know why you posted what you did. I too think it (blind brand loyalty) does exist out there. I admit, the blind part of my comment though was mine, not yours.

What I find a bit discouraging so far, in the relatively few posts that have replied on the topic, that no one (until now), has mentioned exercising any form of boycott of the brand that has cost them the most grief in the past. My guess is that all of us have probably had difficulty at some point in time or another even with our favourite brand...but that surely over the years a brand or two/three etc stands out as being the one that left such a negative long-lasting memory that the only way the little guy can fight back and try to keep some of these brands (some, who seem to exhibit almost a type of effrontery towards their brand) in check, is to take the boycott to a new and sustained level. One with conviction. I did this with Ford since my 3 short year experience with an 88 F150 whose (among other issues) paint fell off very prematurely. Ford did not do the fair and non-rocket-science right thing and basically called my bluff. I had spent so much money with them over the years (one purchase was a $90+k heavy truck in 84) that when confronted with a scenario of gross unfairness (and utter stupidity on their part), pure principle entered the equation.

The reason I said I was discouraged at the beginning of this post, is that if people don't stand up to what is right and wrong, then the manufacturers discover they can get away with unfair business practice and only end up correcting wrongs when forced or pressed against the wall to do so, either legally or after much exasperation of the consumer.

Some random examples:

- Honda's (Acura) auto trans in Odyssey etc
    - Honda's ill-designed (for longevity) A/C in CRVs
    - Ford's leaky head gaskets on all 3.8 litre V6
    - Ford's auto tran in many models...Taurus, Aerostar, etc etc
    - Ford's faulty paint
    - GM's faulty paint
    - GM's leaky plastic intake manifolds
    - Subaru's leaky head gaskets..altho to be fair..I think Sube stepped up 3x quicker/easier than many other brands would have
    - Subaru's weak A/C and sound systems
    - Mazda's rust on early to mid Proteges
    - Nissan's brittle exhaust manifolds on V6s..altho again...like Sube, did step up quicker than some
    - Hyundai/Kia auto tran in Santa Fe/Sorrento
    - Toyota's sludge issues V6 and others
    - Chrysler's sludge issues on 2.7 V6
    - Chrysler's infamous 318 V8 oil burners
    - Chrysler's infamous 4 sp auto tran issues

etc etc etc
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,621
    First hwy trip in new 2013 Accord with CVT. Got 38 mpg hwy going 60-70 mph with AC on the whole way. Very pleased to have gotten even higher than the rated epa 36 mpg hwy.