Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Don't need extra sun/heat in Texas, nor to give up any headroom at 6'3"

heh...same dimensions and location :) I hate sunroofs...just another way to bake in the heat. Head room...try driving a veloster with a sun roof :) my seat was leaned WAY back and my head was tilted horizontal. Neat little car (horribly under powered engine).
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,677
    Pretty nifty. You might post that in our Auto Parts Bargains discussion too:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f11c910/780

It's not exactly an "auto part," but it's definitely a bargain at "free," and you never know when someone else might be in a similar situation and want/need it.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    0-60 in 6 seconds is fine, but that isn't with the under 200 HP version :P
    As for your bailout theory, keep in mind that those people could have merely set up a warranty fund for Americans instead of bailing out the companies.

Great idea, and in fact GWB & BO did that, before the bailouts were even fully implemented or "official" yet.

One should wonder why we didn't just do that, instead of the more expensive company wide bailouts. Same wonderment I have when someone says bailing out GM saved the suppliers. Wouldn't it have been much cheaper to let GM go under and simply bailout the little guys (suppliers) that needed it?

You should wonder. Brings to mind the word outrageous again.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Am looking to cap things at 25k out-the-door once a deal is made. That'd put the purchase price in the 23k range; doable for an EX, but not really possible for an EX-L at this point in time. Plus, I would only ever consider leather if the car had ventilated seats. The fiance's Santa Fe has heated leather, but I hate them in the summertime.

I have the pink unicorn of Sonatas; V6, cloth, popular equip package + moonroof. It's everything that's a must-have (moonroof, audio-controls on the wheel, leather-wheel, power seat, usb audio interface) and nothing that wasn't (navi, automatic climate controls, leather). Plus, it's really roomy for my 6'5" frame.

I will probably drive it for a while. I've got 107k on it with no complaints. The other vehicle that really rings my bell right now is the Ram 1500 with Pentastar, 8-speed, and UConnect 8.4. Could I be any more scattered in my vehicle preferences?
    I wonder if the reason brakes need more frequent replacement isn't because Honda cheaped out, but perhaps because your 3,000 pound car of yesteryear is now a 3,600 pound car today. 20% more weight has got to be hard on the brakes, especially if you don't upgrade them for the additional weight.

That was the problem with the transmissions, people who drove using all 240 horses from the 3.0 V6 in 2003 wore out transmissions that probably worked perfectly with the little 4-bangers of Honda's past. In fact, the 4-cylinder models did rate better than the V6 transmissions.
    At the same time, "normal" drivers seem to be a bunch of maniacs...

Us "spirited" drivers prefer that term to the maniac label. I'm a spirited driver, and I understand that with that comes extra maintenance costs in the form of brake and tire wear. Wear items, and completely normal. Of course, if your driving style doesn't change and all of a sudden your brake pad life is halved; people are going to notice (Honda are you listening?).

Added to that, Honda's don't really inspire spirited driving. They are great cars, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't until I got my Audi that I became an enthusiastic driver.

I would hope most maniacs, OOPS, I mean spirited drivers would know this, and not complain. Also, if you car stops from 60 MPH to 0 MPH in 110 feet instead of 130 feet performance wise, you should expect that the pad might not last as long in exchange for that performance gain.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    Yeah, EX, Sport, or even LX fits better with the 25k OTD goal.

Since your Sonata has been so good to you why aren't you shopping that car? Ready for a change? I'm a big Honda fan, and think that the Accord is better than the Sonata in at least a few ways (visibility, handling, mpg, crash safety, etc.), but still I'm curious.

Here's the discounted price of an 2013 EXL Accord at Crest Honda in Nashville. Looks like $25.4 + TTL

Bodystyle:SedanDrivetrain:FWDEngine:2.4L I-4 cylTransmission:Continuously VariableCity MPG: 27.0 Hwy MPG: 36.0Ext. Color:Basque Red Pear…Int. Color:IvoryVIN:1HGCR2F8XDA196235Stock Number:DA196235Location: Crest Honda
    MSRP$28,785
    Dealer Discount$3,394
    True Price$25,391
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 198
    I wonder if the reason brakes need more frequent replacement isn't because Honda cheaped out, but perhaps because your 3,000 pound car of yesteryear is now a 3,600 pound car today. 20% more weight has got to be hard on the brakes, especially if you don't upgrade them for the additional weight.

That was the problem with the transmissions, people who drove using all 240 horses from the 3.0 V6 in 2003 wore out transmissions that probably worked perfectly with the little 4-bangers of Honda's past. In fact, the 4-cylinder models did rate better than the V6 transmissions.

If Honda was the only company with a 3,600 pound car today or the only car with a V6 I would say you have a point.
    The urethane steering wheel was the only major turn-off. I'm spoiled by the nicer leather wheel in my current Sonata I suppose.

After getting my hands on a leather wrapped steering wheel, I know that I can never go back to hard plastic.

I'm not even a fan of leather, or leather seats, but a leather steering wheel is a must. I'm saddened by the fact the bean counters managed to get such a basic item left out on a top of the line EX model Accord.
    If Honda was the only company with a 3,600 pound car today or the only car with a V6 I would say you have a point.

You have a point about the weight, but the point your trying to make about the V6 is falling on deaf ears. Not all V6's were created equal. Back in 2003, Honda's V6 was so far superior to other V6's at the time, it's not even funny. Even Honda's own V6 got upped by 20% more HP in 2003.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 886
    Actually the weight is an issue for a lot of cars these days. The car makers want the brakes lighter and smaller to help with fuel economy, but they have more mass to move around. Should help that the 2013 Honda is lighter than the 2012. If you look around on other forums people complain about brakes wearing out faster than they used to.
    But he was saying that Honda isn't the only one with overweight cars these days, but yet not everyone has reports of short-lived OEM brake pads.

A very minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather replace my Honda's brakes at 40K miles rather than my Dodge's head gaskets, for example.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 886
    True, a minor issue. But he's wrong that its just Honda. Time will tell how all parts of the 2013 hold up. I'm going on a good past history statistically.That's all anyone can do.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    edited July 2013
    EX is not the top of the line for the Accord. It goes: LX, Sport, EX, EXL, EXL Navi, EXL Navi V-6, Touring V-6.

So the EX is the mid-level model. I don't think the EX has ever had a leather wrapped steering wheel, and so you can't blame the bean counters for that one. L stands, of course, for Leather, and that's where you get the leather steering wheel. The new model this year, the Sport, surprisingly has it too.

In any case, a good aftermarket leather steering wheel cover can always be added. Check Pep Boys. Top rated leather for steering wheel c. $25. No biggie.

Honda added thousands of dollars of equipment to the 2013 Accord compared to the 2012, but only raised the price by something like $150. In other words, for the most part the bean counters lost.

For instance, compared to the base 2012 Accord LX the 2013 Accord LX adds: alloy wheels, direct injected engine, more advanced transmission, Advanced Compatibility II body with super high grade steel (the only best selling car to ace the IIHS crash test), bluetooth, pandora/integration w/smart phone, back up camera, higher mpg, bigger trunk, much quieter/more sound insulation, etc.

In my opinion, the only thing we lost that's of any importance is the ski pass through in the back seat. The bean counters got that one, but I can easily live without it in trade for all the other stuff.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    So get the turbo if 198 hp isn't enough for you. Sheesh. Five years ago, how many base trim mid-sized family sedans had at least 198 hp?

It's amazing to me how much power some people think they need in a family sedan. As if they spend all their time drag racing.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Aftermarket leather looks a little cheesy on steering wheels. You can buy an entire new leather wheel for $136 from several places online. I may go that route.

While I have noticed that my brakes wobble a tad under some conditions now that I have 164k miles on my 2007 Accord, I still am on my original front pads. ;) Can't complain too much about that. I expect my '13 will do just as well.

Agree on power. My I4's are much faster than I ever need (stick shift helps a lot). Can't imagine a v-6.
  • Well the Fusion 2.0 turbo certainly doesn't need anymore power! I wasn't sure that its 240hp would be enough for me, but honestly, unless you are planning to use your family sedan for drag racing, or towing a trailer, you don't really need as much power as you think you do. Anywhere in the neighborhood of 200hp is more than enough to move fast. If you think you need more power than that in a midsize sedan, the only current model for you is the Chevy SS, otherwise you should be looking at fullsize sedans!
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,633
    Well the Fusion 2.0 turbo certainly doesn't need anymore power! I wasn't sure that its 240hp would be enough for me, but honestly, unless you are planning to use your family sedan for drag racing, or towing a trailer, you don't really need as much power as you think you do.

That's because it has 270 ft-lbs of torque at low to midrange rpm. It actually has more torque than the 3.5 v6 used in the Taurus. If it had 240hp, with say only 200 ft-lbs of torque at over 4k rpm, it wouldn't feel nearly as powerful.
  • Well it's certainly got power to spare. Even at 100mph it's nowhere near its limits, except for the speed limiter kicking in at 120mph, otherwise it would easily top out at 160mph. Just a tap on the gas at 60mph boosts it up to 80mph so fast I'm almost afraid to floor it. Anything with a V8 in it will leave it in the dust, but not without a fight, so I don't have any problems getting it up to highway speeds onto crowded freeways with short entry ramps. If torque is more responsible for all that than hp is, then I'd definitely pay more attention to torque ratings when shopping for a new car. I'm very pleased with the performance of my car, the difference between it and the Ford Probe GT that I used to drive is truly amazing!