Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 389
    edited October 2013
    Did a check on the rust issue, and it does appear that there are more occurrences of rust issues on the 3 in forums than for at least the civic and corolla ( though those have some issues with rust as well). That said it is obvious there must be some variable in the manufacturing process or something as I know neither of our 3s had this issue ( mine was only around till about 3.5 years 80,000 km though) the 2007 3 we still own does not have any rust issues with 130,000 + km on it. Ours is a hatch though so maybe that is part of the difference ( I see a lot of the complaints are around the rear lights and third mounter brake light, on I assume the sedans), though the wheel wells I would assume are manufactured the same way. In any case obviously the problem doesn't affect every 3. I do see problems with similar level cars from other makes.
    I am going to stop here since my experience doesn't relate to midsized cars, and neither does the thread about potential rust issues with the 3, that you pointed people towards.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    You are correct. They are very, very, similar; especially the rear half of the vehicle (the C pillar).

The Accord and Legacy are both attractive, but I'm not an Accord "fan"...the styling just looks to similar to previous models. Maybe that is a good thing because when I look at it it is instantly recognizable as an Accord. It just doesn't look "new" to me.

I do also agree with other posters regarding the Legacy...the overhang is a little long, The Fusion wheelbase is about 4" longer than the Legacy. This is also my pet peeve with the Optima design, while very nice it appears they have the constraint of the platform. If they could push the front wheels 3-4" forward and the rear 2" back I think it'd look stunning.

This is of course just nit-picking...All of these look stunning compared to sedans from 10-15 years ago.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,054
    The old Mazda 3 and the Mazda 6 are 75% Ford. While they share no body panels, the Mazda 3 is basically a Focus and the 6 is a quasi Ford 500.

The new Mazda 3, 6, and CX-5 are all new machines from the ground up, with 100% Japanese Mazda parts. The 6 is made entirely in Japan, and the Japanese take a lot of pride in what they build. Mazda has something to prove now that they have completely divorced Ford.

I bought my Optima before the new 6, Accord, or Fusion was available, but I think I might have bought the 6 if it was available in December 2011. It would have been hard to decide between the Optima, 6, or the Accord.
    I am so glad I don't live in the rust belt. I remember the cars in Buffalo where my family is from and how shocked I was at all the rust on almost every car.

From what I have seen every mainstream car factory completely submerges their cars in rust coating solutions where the entire car is dunked in a huge vat. There is current applied to the solution so it sticks to every nook and cranny.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    "and the 6 is a quasi Ford 500."

Not even close. Even the Fusion was bigger than the 1st gen 6 and the 500 was a lot bigger than the Fusion. Different everything but maybe a base v-6 engine tuned differently.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    The old Mazda 3 started with the Euro Focus platform. The old Mazda 6 was it's own platform. Ford took that platform, widened and lengthened it slightly and that was the original Fusion platform (not 500). The new Mazda6 is an updated version of the Fusion's longer and wider platform but 100% Mazda. The 2013 Fusion uses a new platform based on the Euro Mondeo.
    edited October 2013
    My bad dude. I meant Fusion. My wife owned an 04, so I darned sure know what it is! Tuned differently yes, and I never once felt like I was in a Ford while driving the 6 Sportwagon.
    yeah yaeh yeah....I got my wires crossed kirby. :)

EVERYONE GO FOR MY THROAT I WAS WRONG!!!!

LMAO.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    It seems to be working. Dropped to 3/4 after about 110 miles. Before that, it would take 10 miles to hit that level.
    Awesome. I am glad Ford took care of it. Having to worry about how much fuel you have is no fun.

I am sorry but I forgot which model Fusion you have. Is it the 1.6 Eco-boost or 2.5 or 2.0?

What color?

I wish everyone here would post pics of their cars!!
  • Not to dangle the ol' "new forums software" carrot again, but just so you know, on that platform we'll have the ability to list vehicles you own in your profile, and photo upload will be easy (pretty much like all sites, where you choose the photo from your personal drive and it shows up). Maybe at that point we could even have a spin-off of this discussion just for midsize sedans members' vehicle pics, if that would appeal.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    So when is the "new" forum supposed to happen?
    My Fusion has the 2.0, which has more power than I need.
    Don't have any car pics, haven't even downloaded the pics of the bear that hung out in my yard for about an hour on Saturday.
    Here is a twin of my Fusion
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    edited October 2013
    cski wrote: "I saw the interior of a base Honda Accord today at the grocery store, so I stuck my head in. The first thing I saw was lots of shiny plasti-silver faux-aluminum. I like the Accord exterior, but what you have to see everyday is the inside. So, if that 1980's Emerson-Soundesign boom-box cheap plastic is on other Accords...then Honda blew it interior wise...."

The interior of the new Accord is actually very nice, but as with exterior styling everyone has different tastes.

Compared to the previous generation of Accord, this generation has higher quality materials in almost all areas, except for the carpets. The dash of the new Accord is in fact made in a new and innovative way at the Ohio factory as one piece. The press release when it came out talked about how the previous dash had something like a dozen pieces, while the new one is made of one piece of high tech material formed in the factory on a super stable foundation. I don't understand the details, but I remember that they had to build a new concrete foundation several feet thick in this part of the factory to shield the formation of the dash material from any vibrations as it's being formed.

Most reviews like the Accord interior. Here's a little of the Automobile magazine review, for instance, where the Accord placed first in a comparison test:

"It begins with the rigorously ergonomic approach that Honda takes to formatting the driving position of its cars. You notice the great visibility from the driver's seat, the thoughtful layout of the light-effort controls....We enjoyed being in this car, and while its interior dimensions aren't much different from those of its competition, it feels especially open and spacious. The soft-touch detailing has added a worthwhile dimension of luxury, and even the cloth seat upholstery seems particularly nice. And just as important, we found it easy to climb in and out, while the ride was quieter than we remember from past Accords as well as more supple and composed on the road. In the past, the Accord has always seemed like a strong value proposition, yet now this car aspires to something more than big-time practicality. This has become a very nice car, an automobile that projects a premium image...."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1303_midsize_madness_day_five/#ixzz2- - - hEf5TATU
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 884
    Most reviews I read compliment the Honda interior, such as this one:
    "Honda paid more attention to interior materials and design (particularly the center stack) in this latest redesign, and the result is a genuinely upscale ambience, even in a working man's Accord with cloth seats."

But to each his/her own impressions!
    edited October 2013
    As soon as I saw the plasti-luminum silver matte finish on all along the border of the center stack I was turned off. I very much like the Accord in every other way, and I hope that trim is just in the base model. The camera system pretty much makes up for it though.

I guess I was more bummed about it, as the car had won me over in so many other ways. The Mazda has none. My mother-in-laws new Pathfinder has it everywhere.

This is totally personal preference. All the reviews in the world will not change my opinion here. I sold electronics from '89 to '92, and that is when I started to dislike it. I actually sold those Emerson/Soundesign boom boxes, etc. The finish scratched easily and gets worn off quickly, along with any lettering/icons printed on it.
  • ctlctl Posts: 123
    For Base model, Altima has the worse cloth seat material, which Accord is right down there next to it. A good strategy to lure buyers to the higher trims? :)
    I saw you guy's going back and forth about the premature Mazda 3 rust. I found the Mazda 3 website and have a link here (with pictures). This would be a very good place to discuss it.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=307935
  • We don't have a firm date - not going to happen until we can ensure as smooth a transition as possible. We'll give you plenty of notice.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I agree with cski, the Accord interior is underwhelming.
    Got a ride in one and I thought I was in a 2012, until I looked at the back of the car.
    This was a top of the line model with black leather.
    My Fusion has a black interior, but there are lots of nice details.