Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Heat would cause the pressure to go up, not down. Does your TPMS give a warning for pressure that's too high? What does it consider to be too high? You won't normally get more than a 3-4 psi difference when hot and that should already be figured into the TPMS algorithm.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,049
    edited October 2013
    Yeah backy I checked it out. Both the 2014 Sonata and the Optima are reporting horsepower reductions to 190 and 192 depending on single or dual exhaust.

Makes you wonder if our cars ever really produced 198 and 200 that I am so proud of.

After seeing many comparo's in many magazines I always noticed that our Sonoptima's were not generating performance figures commiserate with the stated horsepower and weight of the car. Seems like F/E was not the only thing being exaggerated at Hyundai-Kia.

****I got the figures directly from the official Sonata and the Optima web site. Car and Driver still report 200 and 198.
    edited October 2013
    I didn't say down. I said "off". I don't remember really how much or which one. I had 3 kids screaming for food and a bathroom break. I know I evened them all out, and then on the way back TPMS flashed again, but shut off after 20 miles through town at reduced speed.

It has never come on since. I check my tires all the time.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    "Heat would cause the pressure to go up, not down."

He didn't say it went down and insinuated by the term heat/speed induced that it was up. Anyway, I think most TPMS measure both ways and will give a warning whether too high or too low but that is an educated guess on my part. I would agree that 3lbs seems to be way too touchy. My Acura shows each tire pressure and when I leave the garage they are at about 30 and after a few miles on the expressway they are up to 34. I would have lights going on all the time if it measured only a 3lb variance.
    So what pressure do you normally run vs. what the vehicle sticker recommends?
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    My tpms used to come on with my Accords, which was annoying. I replaced the regular air with nitrogen and that seemed to fix it. I'm sure you probably already know about that possible fix.
    The law only requires a warning for under-inflation. I've not heard of systems warning for over-inflation. The under-inflation mandate is 25% based on the car placard recommended pressure. Since there is no mandate for overinflation it would be up to the mfr on the threshold.
    I think you're right. They just got through with a marketing nightmare on their MPG numbers. They had some trouble about 10 years ago with overestimating their HP numbers too. So I think the powers on high said to go back and make sure we can absolutely prove every single stat we are putting out and if it's borderline at all.....error on the side of caution. They don't need more negative headlines. But you can be sure all the car rags will jump on this mysterious HP reduction when the powertrain itself doesn't appear to be changed.
    sticker is 32, and I run them at 35. On my Nexens I ran them high but after I got the s*** kicked out of me here for doing it, I don't go over 3 psi from recommended.

The tpms system checks for variance....it has no idea what the pressure is supposed to be.
    Yeah, you may be right and cski's experience was a blip or malfunction possibly. I just assumed that since the system can measure low it could also measure high. I would think a drastically overinflated tire would be dangerous as well though even if there is no federal mandate.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    We actually did hit 40 once on a hwy trip with the CVT Accord...

And I hit 42 mpg once on a highway trip in my Sonata. ;)

The 2013 Sonata does exhibit better FE than the 2007 Sonata I4 we had before that, despite a big boost in hp in the newer car. I always got over the EPA 30 mpg highway number on the 2007 car, typically 33-34 mpg at 65-70 mph. So the 2013 does well in comparison. And is pretty close to the latest designs despite being a 4-year-old model.

I'm amazed at how close in highway FE my Sonata can come to my 2013 Rio, despite the Sonata having 60 more horses and a lot more weight. The Rio does much better around town than the Sonata, however. Both have the 6AT.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    edited October 2013
    lol! I've never gotten more than 40, and so you've got me beat.

But a guy over at driveaccord.net had a 600+ mile tank and got 43.1 mpg....He even has a pic of it:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75020&page=34
    I agree. If I was Mr. Hyundai, that is exactly what I would do. I knew something was up when I saw some dyno numbers on my car. It was making 139 hp at the wheels. The parasitic losses are usually 30% to 35%. At 35%, my car would then put out 187 HP. So, I think 192 is a realistic number considering that peak horsepower may only be measured at 5900 to 5950 rpm, with sustained horsepower more like 185.

35% parasitic losses is surprisingly accurate with an automatic tranny, which is why the move to CVT's.
    Funny, you say "we" got X mpg and backy says "I" got X mpg. Maybe you should only measure your MPG when you are by yourself and not hauling the whole family and gear. Add 500 lbs or more and any car will get less MPG. Driving by yourself on a lengthy highway trip could put you at 40+ mpg or more it sounds like. Elevation and temp plays some role too not a whole lot unless you're in the mountains.
    The Hyundai system does not check for variance between tires - it uses a stem mounted sensor. It does not check for overinflation - only underinflation by 25%. If your system does not indicate which tire is low then it will also illuminate the TPMS tire symbol to indicate both a low pressure AND a sensor fault. For a sensor fault it flashes the light 60 seconds first. It could have been easily mistaken for a low tire.

This is true for 2010+ models - I suppose it's possible the other system was used on earlier models.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/daydreamer/Coupe%20TSBs/Suspension%20System/10-SS-00- 2%20TPMS%20%28TIRE%20PRESSURE%20MONITORING%20SYSTEM%29%20GENERAL%20INFORMATION.p- df
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    Of course YMMV on FE. But why address this to me when benjaminh started the whole thread with "I got 40 mpg once on my Accord." ? Also we were clear that these were examples, not a general rule with these cars. Just because I can hit 42 mpg once on my Sonata doesn't mean everyone will get that, once or ever.
  • kyrptokyrpto Posts: 216
    FYI, I’m getting this info from several sites; Google can be helpful.
    The display on Hyundai’s telematics system, Assurance Connected Care, now has a simplified user interface, better navigation screens, and probably the best voice recognition found in any vehicle.
    The system is also reputedly more intuitive for frequently used tasks.
    The voice recognition software understands street addresses and cities all in one sentence while simple pop-up messages now appear to help pair a cell phone; previously pairing with most Hyundais could be maddening.
    The route screen also displays speed limits and details the next three maneuvers and one or two button pushes now complete most functions unlike the complex Ford system.
  • gee22gee22 Posts: 82
    The nav system on the Mazda6 has been universally panned in every review but it does recognize street addresses and cities in one sentence and does display speed limits so I guess I shouldn't complain.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,195
    Your glowing prose regarding Hyundai is always so positive and never addresses any areas where it is bettered by the competition. I find your writing style to be definitive and assuring amongst all the harsh rhetoric that finds its way to many postings. The least I can do is take both my cars to the local dealer and trade them in for a pair of new Sonatas. I suggest the rest of you misinformed doubters do the same.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,447
    You are so lucky to have 2 cars to trade in. I only have one 2013 Fusion Titanium and I'm conflicted about trading it in for an Optima or a Sonata. ;)