Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,713
    > I replaced the regular air with nitrogen and that seemed to fix it.

I doubt that was the fix. The atmosphere is 80% N2 with a mixture of other gases which have about the same thermal coefficient of expansion. The idea of N2 being useful for auto tires rather than truck carcasses which are retreaded over and over has been like politics--lots of hot air.

This message has been approved.

• kyrptokyrpto Posts: 216
    Probably should wait a year to trade and see the next gen as the Sonata is due for a new body for 2015.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,545
    But then you can trade them in for the all-new, vastly improved, undoubtedly class-leading 2015 model!

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

edited October 2013
    With 50 improvements for model year 2014, I doubt there will be much more than a refresh of the exterior in '15. Not much left to improve.

But Hyundai could maybe offer self-parking or accident avoidance.
    I understand the Subaru collision deflection system currently works the best.
    The new Hyundai app for Blue Link for 2014 will allow subscribers to remotely access various optional features and services through compatible mobile devices; my wife uses both her iPad and Galaxy S IV to control the 2013 version.

It has been significantly enhanced from the previous version and boasts a new user experience, faster navigation and innovative new features:

Stolen Vehicle Recovery
    Stolen Vehicle Slowdown
    Vehicle Immobilization
    Alarm Notification
    Panic Notification
    Valet Alert
    Geo-Fence
    Speed Alert
    Curfew Alert

Wonder if this can be improved for 2015?
  • vservser Posts: 48
    It was an AWD. I wonder if that's really worth it though. I just noticed kia optima came out w their 2014s. That interior looks nice. Seems very ergonomic. And I've heard the give out great incentives. I've never ever thought of owning a kia though.
    But so is the Sonata.
    Since the launch of the current generation in 2010 as a 2011 model, Sonata has undergone significant changes to reduce cabin noise.
    Both our 2011 and 2013 hybrids were very quiet, more so than our ’07 Camry, ’10 Venza, or any other vehicle we’ve owned in the past decade
    So several new engineering changes will be noticed immediately by Sonata drivers and passengers:
    New 17- and 18-inch wheels to reduce road noise inside the cabin
    Improved carpet insulating properties to block road and engine noise
    Additional foam in the A and B pillar to reduce road noise
    Additional dynamic damper to improve road noise
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,054
    You have to understand that I had 600 pounds of kids and luggage jammed in the car. This, plus sustained 80 mph speeds should have had all 4 tires reading high, plus the 3 psi I over-inflated before the trip (to increase F/E....I saw on Myth-busters that it actually works).

So, I think the tire was low by 3 psi, but not below the recommended pressure so I was irritated I had to stop for basically nothing. I would bet the tire leaks a bit at speed under those conditions, but who knows for sure.

My 2001 Windstar had its TPMS light on the entire time we owned it....which defeats the whole purpose of having it. This is why I was so irritated when it came on in the Optima for no real reason as well.
    "Building on their well deserved reputation as a design leader, Hyundai designers and engineers have upgraded nearly every system in the 2014 Sonata".

Dude, come on man. What are your PERSONAL experiences with your car?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    What year is your Sonata? Unless yours has a different system than the 2010+ Sonatas it does not measure overinflation or the difference between tires - it only measures a 25% low condition. However, if there is a tpms fault (sensor problem) it will also illuminate the tpms light just as if there was a low tire. You may have had a temporary sensor problem.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    "But why address this to me when benjaminh started the whole thread with "I got 40 mpg once on my Accord.""

Because I mistakenly hit reply to your post instead of benjaminh's post. Sorry, but I wouldn't have referred to you in the third person if I meant to reply directly to you. Is it a big deal? My point was that it appeared that you were trying to make a point that your Sonata got just as good of mpg in "real world" as the Accord. Didn't we just go through a bout with Hyundai and their "real world" mpg numbers being a little off? I probably got 40mpg with my 6cyl Acura for a short stretch too but it's hardly worth noting. I've found that if a car is rated 2 mpg higher that, on average, that car will probably get 2 mpg better in real world driving by the same driver and circumstances.

I also was making the point that in many posts you say "I" achieved a certain MPG and benjaminh made it a point that he had a car full of people and luggage. So, I was commenting simply on the fact that comparing road trip avg mpg of car loaded to a single driver in a car was really not apples to apples and could account for a couple of mpg's possibly.
    Yeah, I know Google can be helpful. If we want to see reprints of all advertising and/or glowing comments in auto reviews we can use google too. We don't need you to go out to the internet and try to find every single thing nice said about the Sonata and then copy and pasting it in here. Proper etiquette has one cite a source and then make it clear with quotation marks that it is not your original thought but copied from somewhere. Secondly, it is much better to just post a few words from the quote and then provide a link.

Frankly, your posts are like a broken record and they are just another copy from some auto review where they said something nice about the Sonata or some of it actually looks like it's copied right out of a Hyundai brochure. Really, really boring.
    edited October 2013
    I'm sure this is from someone that has never really tried nitro in their tires but is quick to make fun of others that do. I never had one opinion or another about nitrogen in my tires until I bought a set of tires at Costco and they put it in for free.

A little history, I am one of those guys that really likes to have the correct pressure in my tires. I've have always had three vehicles for the past twenty years and kept a small DC air compressor in the trunk of each vehicle just to have it handy for emergencies and to keep my tires topped off. I was using them quite often. Then I got the tires from Costco and I noticed that I hardly ever had to add air to the airs. And I mean for very long periods of time....like years! I figured at first that Costco just did an excellent job of installing the tires and the tires themselves, Michelin, really did the job. Then I got another set of tires from Cosco for my truck, BF Goodrich. Again, I virtually never had to add any air to the tires. I found this to be rather astounding. Then my wife's car needed tires and we replaced the original Michelins with more Michelins from Costco. Same story. Two of the cars are garaged and the truck sits out all the time and doesn't get driven regularly. I was always putting air in those tires. Now, nothing except maybe once a year swinging by Costco and getting the tires rotated and i assume they check the air in them but I'm not sure. I check the air about every 3 months in the truck and about every 6 wks in the cars. It's pretty unbelievable to me that I never need air in these tires.

Race cars and airplanes use pure nitro in their tires so it's not just recapped trucks and I'm not even sure that is true on the recaps. Nitrogen has larger molecules which don't seep out as easily as oxygen and it also less affected by heat. I'm on fourth vehicle now that has nitrogen in the tires. This last one is an Acura and it just went in for it's first service at the one year mark and to date no air has been added to those tires and they are still the same pressure as when we bought the vehicle.

So, maybe it's all psychological but I've pretty much retired my little air compressors and from personal experience with four vehicles am pretty happy with the little green caps. I wouldn't pay a huge amount for the nitro but for a few bucks it's worth it to me. YMMV(if you've even tried it).
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    No, it's no big deal to me but you seem to want to make it one.

I'm not sure what the problem is in two mid-sized car owners chatting about their FE results here. They shouldn't be taken as gospel or a guarantee for anyone else with the same cars. The comment was made that the Sonata might catch up to newer designs in FE with its next redesign. I was providing my experience with the 2013 Sonata to demonstrate that at highway speeds mentioned by benjaminh with his Accord, the current Sonata is already very capable of similar FE results to new designs like the Accord.

Oh yeah... YMMV.
    The many improvements made for model year 2014 are exciting to me as an owner.
    Not cutting-and-pasting as you incorrectly allege but reading and condensing info from Hyundai.
    Not reprints or copied comments from ‘14 Sonata reviews; car is too new for those.

I am also including many personal observations such as:
    “Very good analysis Dudley.”
    “Consumers aren’t buying boatloads of Sonatas because they have the most horsepower; the spacious interior sells more units.”
    “A major selling point for mid-sized sedan buyers are the, if you will, ‘infotainment’ systems most vehicles are built around.”
    and the examples could go on-and-on.

Sometimes I use bullet points to cite the many, many improvements Hyundai has made for 2014; would be dumb to take up more space arranging that information into a paragraph and a list is easier to read.

Guess its not as interesting to non-Hyundai folk but it is surely as compelling as the lengthy debate going on here on TPMS.
    Personally for those trying to stretch MPG the 4 corner, exact pressure readings from the new Hyundai TPMS is an invaluable tool.
    So are the now common instant-MPG-readouts.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,197
    The differences in MPG for comparable cars won't make anyone rich or anyone poor. They all do pretty well.
    My Sonoptima is a 2012, and you are right. It only measures a 25% difference in pressure on any given tire. I never said that it measured the difference between the 4 tires, only a change in one.

Look, if the system came on all the time I would have it checked out. It works fine. Only on the trip did it illuminate. I have had it for 2 full years and 24,000 miles. I have brand new tires and I know for sure there is nothing wrong with them. The car was heavily loaded for the very first time, and the tires were consistently hot for the very first time. I will ask about it next time I have a (free) oil change....which I have for life. (I really like free).
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,713
    edited October 2013
    > is quick to make fun of others that do.

What kind of insult is that supposed to be?

That's gotta be a violation of the rules. ...From someone who knows nothing about me nor about my background AND some who does not know any thing about what I do know or do use.

This message has been approved.

• C'mon, folks. This petty bickering needs to end, before this thread gets a time-out.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited October 2013
    My local Shell has nitrogen fill available for free. I have been thinking about doing it. Thanks for info about your experience with not having to add or correct pressures.

Maybe I will go over and get it done tomorrow.

This is the kind of advice people can actually use. I have a compressor pack in the trunk as well....but it is not a real bonus as my car has no spare. More of an emergency item along with a fancy can of Kia-brand fix-a-flat, which cost $25 to replace at the dealer. I used it once when i had a nail, and it ruined the tire, even though I followed the instructions to a "t".