Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,043
    edited October 2013
    That's why on pickup trucks the most important wheels to have ABS on is the rears.
    I can tell by your posts that you understand the physics involved in having an unloaded pickup with the rear wheels locking....the rear wants to come around and you end up pointing the wrong way on the freeway.

Here is a list of the four major ABS systems in case any of us wish to fall asleep from boredom early tonight. I just cut and pasted from wiki...

Anti-lock braking systems use different schemes depending on the type of brakes in use. They can be differentiated by the number of channels: that is, how many valves that are individually controlled—and the number of speed sensors.[17]
    Four-channel, four-sensor ABS
    This is the best scheme. There is a speed sensor on all four wheels and a separate valve for all four wheels. With this setup, the controller monitors each wheel individually to make sure it is achieving maximum braking force.
    Three-channel, four-sensor ABS
    There is a speed sensor on all four wheels and a separate valve for each of the front wheels, but only one valve for both of the rear wheels. Older vehicles with four-wheel ABS usually use this type.
    Three-channel, three-sensor ABS
    This scheme, commonly found on pickup trucks with four-wheel ABS, has a speed sensor and a valve for each of the front wheels, with one valve and one sensor for both rear wheels. The speed sensor for the rear wheels is located in the rear axle. This system provides individual control of the front wheels, so they can both achieve maximum braking force. The rear wheels, however, are monitored together; they both have to start to lock up before the ABS will activate on the rear. With this system, it is possible that one of the rear wheels will lock during a stop, reducing brake effectiveness. This system is easy to identify, as there are no individual speed sensors for the rear wheels.
    One-channel, one-sensor ABS
    This system is commonly found on pickup trucks with rear-wheel ABS. It has one valve, which controls both rear wheels, and one speed sensor, located in the rear axle. This system operates the same as the rear end of a three-channel system. The rear wheels are monitored together and they both have to start to lock up before the ABS kicks in. In this system it is also possible that one of the rear wheels will lock, reducing brake effectiveness. This system is also easy to identify, as there are no individual speed sensors for any of the wheels.
  • vservser Posts: 48
    I drove the impala. It was nice, but to me a little jumpy. I felt like I needed to hit the gas. It does look good. There is limited visibility out the back window though.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    To me, the Impala lacks a unique identity.
    It looks like a bigger combination of mid size cars.
    Accord front, Fusion body, Sonata back.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    Looking for the perfect car is one of my favorite things to do. Good luck and enjoy !
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    So how does the weight capacity of the Elantra compare to other midsize cars? I've carried more weight in my Accord many times, with no trouble. Point being, if the car has midsize capability, as far as interior and trunk volume, it should also have the same capability, as other midsize cars, as it relates to weight of cargo too. There doesn't seem to be much clearance at all between the tires and fenders on the Elantra, so it would have to have a pretty stiff suspension to compensate for the lack of wheel travel clearance. I guess a stiff suspension, on such a light car, would make for a rough ride, but what good is midsize space, if it can't handle midsize weight?
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,896
    It's not a midsized car. It just has a lot of interior and trunk space. It is a compact car with a big interior. What good is the space? It's called elbow room. Take a pickup, you might be able to fit 2000 lbs into the bed but if it's a half-ton pickup you are in for trouble.

How old was the Elantra? Maybe it had weak springs or something along with being overloaded.
    Again, the 2009 model was smaller than the current, completely re-designed 2011 and up model. So you have 500 lbs in the back, trunk stuffed w/ luggage, plus driver and passenger. That is a lot of weight for a compact, which is why folks with frequent rear passengers and luggage/golf-bags, etc. will usually select a larger car.

I tote three kids in my car daily, and we went on vacation with all of our luggage and boogie boards, cooler full of ice and food, etc and my car barely looked like it was loaded down from the outside.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,692
    >. A crushed coke can got sucked off the road

Glad to hear there was nothing wrong with the car.

This message has been approved.

edited October 2013
    I had an appointment in Manassas, VA this morning at 7 AM, which was no problem to get there (30 mi), but I could not believe the traffic on the way back. It took me an hour and a half. If I had to do that commute every day I would go nuts.

Why am I mentioning this? Well, I saw all kinds of hybrids, including 3 Optima's, countless Sonata's and 2 new Honda Accord Hybrids. I can't even begin to tell you how many Priusususes. With that kind of stop and go commute I would DEFINITELY be driving a hybrid with battery only operation for at least 20 miles. There would be no way to afford the gas driving anything else. It was nice to see far less large SUV's, which used to make such a status statement. Remember Hummers? Have you seen any lately? Me neither.

I think America is just beginning to get the picture, which is a good thing. Now we need a better selection of sedans with turbo-diesel hybrids for the best possible fuel savings while still offering loads of power down low, for torque-thirsty American tastes.

I was really looking forward to testing out the new Mazda 6 TD, but alas it's release was delayed by EPA certification problems. Mazda is saying late Spring before they show up at dealers lots. Bummer.
    Being retired, I don't commute anymore but getting caught in a traffic jam pegs the mpg readout in my Prius at 99 mpg.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    I see a Hummer every morning in our parking lot. The vehicle hasn't won any 'hearts' in our office as the woman have labeled the man driving it "slimy"...
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    But for apprx how many miles/(minutes?) would it show that, if traffic conditions allowed? And of course at some point in that gradually dropping scale ratio, it will accelerate the drop to 0 mpg as the engine then becomes not only the car motivator but battery charger both at the same time. I think this period must be when some owners (or rather some shoppers who opted not to purchase...or other road users following ones at times) complain that the car doesn't have enough umph at times. Because when you have a good battery charge, the torque specs suggest that the Prius should have plenty of get-up-n-go most times for its size and weight.
    LMAOOOOOOOOOO
    edited October 2013
    Will the battery last for 2 hours of very, very slow traffic and run the A/C as well? How long will a Prius will run on battery only, in those conditions?

(Yes I know it is a Prius question....but they do steal business from the mid-size market as they are priced fairly competitively).
    I get the top mpg in stop and go traffic. Worst one I was in was for 20 minutes. I should also add that I have no idea how this works as far as battery power vs gas. I'm not at all disappointed in the cars acceleration. Entering the interstate or passing has been fine. Overall I get in the high forties without hyper miling.
    I don't think that is a bad combo!
  • We're looking for stories about great companies you've dealt with - not necessarily automotive-related, and in fact, we're more interested in non-automotive brands.

Let us know about your favorite brands and why you like them!
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f280cf3/0#MSG0

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited October 2013
    So, I tried it out after a long hiatus. I used it all day, but on my way home from a particularly tiring evening fixing a difficult clients computer, I had no patience for it. It wont downshift when I want it to. Deep stabs of the throttle must be applied, and it bogs down for too long even when I floor it. It just isn't for me, and I don't think the car likes it much either...lurching and struggling is just not classy behavior for such a smooth shifting 6 speed.

When I switched it off it was like a breath of fresh air. I like the fact that it can achieve 30 plus mph on long trips, and it can offer good city mpg if you are patient enough with traffic, and the ECO programming. I would use it if I lived in the country, or the mid west where there is more space than people and traffic is very light, but here in the bustling east coast megalopolis, I would rather get home with as much alacrity as possible, with the least amount of frustration, and the most driving pleasure possible. I still get 22 mpg average, and that is fine with me.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    What vehicle is this?

I had a similar experience with an IS350...I had to leave it in sport mode. The default felt like a corolla driving through sand. Actually felt my blood pressure rise; very annoying.
  • vservser Posts: 48
    IMHO, I've narrowed down my search two or three cars. I will still attempt to take an extended drive in each as a last qualifier.

I can get a Titanium Fusion with Nav, Sunroof, Driver Assist, and H spoke wheels, FWD for 33,600 OTD. Or, I can get a Toyota Avalon Limited loaded except for wireless charging tech package for 35,500 plus taxes and destination. That'll probably equal 39,000 OTD. I've looked t the Kia, and could get a 2.0 Turbo loaded for 30,000. In my mind the Avalon will be worth 10k after 7 years whereas the Kia will not. That's the difference between those two.

But is the Avalon worth 5 or 6 k more than the fusion. Help me spend my money!