Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    You should be the one (of several) apologizing for posting misinformation.
    Not only that, you don't even understand the topic.
    Hopefully, some day you will learn to drink from the fountain of truth, not from the trough of I read it on the internet so it must be true. HA HA.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Fountain of truth? I suspect that instead, cski, like a good number of the rest of us, are so use to blatant bias on this forum, that not everything is written in stone...until it is..

At least he has a sense of humour...and encourages it in others even if often the attempt is futile.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,179
    edited November 2013
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Do it soon...about Feb?, cuz I'll need to thaw out around about then and I'll drive down and buy yours as a well cared-for and loved used car. I know it lacks the heated seats I'm looking for but life is full of compromises..:)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,163
    my son was looking at cars on the internet yesterday (he just graduated college, and if he can ever land a permanent job will be looking for a new one) and for some reason was looking at the Mazda, and showed it to me saying that it looked really good.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited November 2013
    I saw a 2012 SX turbo loaded to the gills, for $24,000 with 12,000 miles on it on cars.com. You should go for it gimmee!! I bet you could snag it for $22 thousand!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail/photos/multiPhotoPopup.jsp?listingId=128248- - 288&tracktype=usedcc&aff=national#0

I mean, what more could you ask for in a low mileage car that looks like this and has just 25 short of 300 hp? ...and it still gets 34 mpg highway? and has 100,000 mile warranty?

I think it is safe to say that I will definitely be buying another Optima at this point, but you never know the future for sure. There are a vast number of cars that I can picture myself owning. I want a rear drive car again too at some point.
  • gee22gee22 Posts: 82
    Funny how you should mention the s60. It’s actually the reason I got the Mazda6.
    When my Camry lease ended last October, my intention was to get the new Accord but I was waiting for the price to come down. Meanwhile, my wife was driving an Accord that she had to take away from her mother. Her car had always been an AWD SUV and since I wan’ts making progress getting the 2013 Accord, she asked to flip-flop and I took my mother-in-law’s car and my wife got an AWD s60.
    After driving the Volvo, I now needed two “must haves” on my next car, blind spot monitoring and active headlights and the Mazda6 was the only one in my price range
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,662
    >>and has 100,000 mile warranty

Funny thing about the warranty, I'm not certain it sways many people. I was speaking to one of our finance VP's who keeps his vehicles, for what seems, forever. He's currently driving a 99 Accord...

Anyway...around here KIA is advertising 20 year, 200,000 warranty. I told him about this and how the "new" KIA's are very competitive...he still says he'd go for another Honda. He can't get past the KIA badge and believe the Honda would be better long term.

I'll probably persuade him to drive one whenever he's looking for a replacement (probably in the next couple years).
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Warranties don't translate to better products. It just means the factory has to add enough to the cost of the vehicle to cover any warranty repairs. You can typically buy the same lengthy coverage on other brands, and some people would rather have zero or one out of warranty problem as opposed to having 3 or 4 problems covered by the longer warranty.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,250
    I don't think the 100k warranty transfers to the second owner.
  • vservser Posts: 48
    I really could care less about the warranty. What concerns me is how long any car will be in the shop getting fixed. Sure, I'd rather not pay for the repairs. But what good is a warranty if you don't have a car to drive.

The Kia dealers talks about why "doesn't honda give you a 10 year", etc etc. They should say you probably won't need our warranty, be it's here if you do. Kia is up against it when it comes to convincing ppl to buy.

On another note, I see that a lot of ppl trade older kias for newer ones. I wonder if that's bc Kia gives the best trade in allowance for their cars.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,662
    I agree, that was my point...not even 20 years 200,000 warranty can persuade some people; the people that value longevity.

I mimic the consensus...I'd like to avoid the whole repair-process if possible. I believe the Kia's were on-par (or similar) to the Honda/Toyota...etc. I suppose it takes time to change perspective/reputation...
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    I thought that was an inspired comment and pretty funny, too.
    That's why I put HAHA at the end.
    Bias and opinions are fine, we all have them, but I will point out misinformation when I find it.
    My hope is people will see this forum as a resource, not just a place where proponents of Brand A take potshots at Brand B, C, D,...Z.
    It swayed me, and allows potential customers to get over the Kia badge, and dispels questions about quality that come from some people about owning a Kia. Also, I have a family; including three school age children who depend on this car; and the warranty gives me peace of mind. I can't handle a sudden $3000 bill for a transmission for example.

I have not heard of Kia offering a 20/200 warranty here, but I live in a very international area, and Kia's have been sold successfully in other countries for decades so very few people care about the badge. There are zillions of Kia's in DC metro.

Finding a reliable car that won't end up in the shop all the time is tricky. Sometimes going with the underdog brand with something to prove will net you a very good car, instead of blindly going with Accord or Camry year after year hoping the bean counters wont make the engineers rest on their laurels.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    The point was you can buy a 7 yr/100K mile extended warranty on a new vehicle for around $1500 (or less) and finance it with the vehicle to avoid that big repair bill. And unless you only drive 10K miles per year that's the same coverage as Kia's 10yr/100K mile warranty and it's transferrable to future buyers.

So you can just add $1500 to an Accord, Camry, Fusion, Altima, Malibu, etc. and have the same "peace of mind". It's not a bad thing but it's not something that's exclusive to the Koreans.
    You are right! Since I am the original owner I never cared to go look it up.

I did find out if you buy a used Kia CPO it DOES transfer so that is good.

I purchased an extended warranty to extend the 5/60 bumper to bumper to 100k, and I am not sure if it transfers or not. I hope to keep my car until the warranty expires, and then some.
    This is the Optima I originally noticed and thought was so cool. I had gone with my mother to help her buy a Forte' back in 2010, and this car was on the lot:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail/photos/multiPhotoPopup.jsp?listingId=128186- 746&tracktype=usedcc&aff=national#0

After we were finished signing the contract and I got her on her way; the last thing she said to me was "your going to buy one aren't you?" A week later I came home with my baby. I didn't end up with this one, as the price tag was $31,000 - but I loved the style of the car and I still do.
    Yes, I am aware of that keenly. I was pointing out a particularly nice car to gimmee, and the post had nothing to do with warranty terms. It had to do with how much car you can get for $23,000.

I have an extended warranty on my Optima, because when you think about it, most of the components that are likely to fail are not covered under basic powertrain warranties. Radiators, water pumps, power steering, alternators, CV joints, half shafts, sensors and electronics, emissions, exhaust, etc......all are not covered under the 10/100 powertrain.

The low mileage car that was pictured would have been a CPO car if it was sold at a Kia dealer, and CPO cars do retain the 100k powertrain warranty.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,744
    Length of warranty and reliability go together, but one is not a substitute for the other. I bought a '09 Buick Lacrosse (the old style) that had chronic transmission issues, all covered under warranty. After numerous repair attempts the car still was not right and I gave up on it. I got a good deal when I bought it and got a good deal when I traded it so the financial hit wasn't what it might have been. While the warranty work didn't cost me any money, it was in various shops for weeks on end and even though I had loaner/rental cars for that time it was still a major pain. When the problems returned yet again I reached the breaking point and dumped it, which I think is a pretty normal sort of reaction. I would rather have a car with no problems and a moderate warranty than one with a long warranty that is constantly being needed.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

You are absolutely right. I would rather have both reliability and long warranty. That is why this forum is here. To let folks that are viewing this material know what is safe to buy and what isn't. On this purchase I did everything right. Research, research, and more research is how to get a reliable car. With the Internet at our fingers anyone with a little sense can filter out what is a good bet and what isn't.

After looking at the solid reliability of the Hyundai/Kia 2.4 liter cars with the 6 speed automatic and reviewing a lot of boards like Optima forums I bought one. I thought it was a good bet that it would hold up well, and look good doing so, and so far it has. No problems after two years and 23,700 miles is a good thing. Now I expect another three years as well!

I can no longer afford to "risk it" by buying american branded cars. I tried to go Ford and Ford let me down, and it has been my experience that there is always some gremlin on every American car I owned that breaks over and over again, just like your experience with the Buick. Also, I stayed away from high performance models with turbos, more expensive suspensions, tires, etc. They cost more to own, insure, and to maintain in the long run. (no SHO type performance packages).

In the the future maybe I can have my Porsche 911 or Corvette, but now I have to run lean and mean and get these kids into college. Priorities!