Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    Unless the Malibu really rings your chimes versus the Altima, it isn't worth it. Too similar. Check out the compact SUV vehicles -any brand- if that works then you have something very different.
  • cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,038
    I have free oil changes for life at the dealer. I would never use cheap oil change place, although the techs at Kia give me little comfort. (I check the oil before I even leave the dealer to make sure of:

A) the tech replaced the dipstick

B) There is oil in the car

C) The oil is clean

When I get home I check to see if there is still oil in the car (had a tech cross-tread a filter once on my Saturn and all my oil leaked out).

I started a topic on the Optima board about the Optima 2.4 GDI cold start rattle, and it is normal. "Welcome to life with a direct injection 4 cylinder" is the answer i got from all 23 replies. Also, the noise I was concerned about at startup is just an engine with all it's oil in the pan, and it has solid lifters. It goes away completely in like 5 seconds. Also normal.
    Thanks man. I didn't know they had all the old issues online. Funny how now and back then, the Audi was in first place.

Also funny the 5000s, and the Saab900 turbo were considered mid size sedans, and not luxury cars.

Great, it is raining ice outside. Just what I-95 needs on the day before thanks giving!
    Yes the Pontiac 6000 STE won 1st place in several CD reviews. I remember it being on the cover of a mid to late 1980's issue, with it's wheels off the ground going over a hill.

I also remember being quite fond of the 1990 Chevy Beretta GT (3.1)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,091
    My 1st car was a 1992 Beretta GT

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

My first car (that I financed myself) was an 87 Chevy Z24. Digi-dash, sunroof, wing, 5 speed, hood scoops. Red. 2.8 liter MFI. Purchased in 1990.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,442
    That's pretty much good news. Keep your receipts, just in case.
    Don't reply on the dealer's records if you need documentation.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    Don't rely on the dealer's records if you need documentation.

Good advice. I know it sounds a bit paranoid, but in past I have known situations where they (a dealer and their apparent lack of being able to supply mysteriously missing records) lacked the good moral character to own up to an issue.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,618
    edited November 2013
    on mid-sized sedans based on ads in my local paper today. Examples are:

* New 2013 Sonata GLS with PP for $18k.
    * New 2014 Camry L for $18k... and a 36 month lease on an LE for $145/month with about $2000 up front--interestingly, the same offer as on a 2014 Corolla LE!
    * New 2014 Passat S for $189/mo. lease, sign-and-drive, 36 months (doesn't have the new 1.8T of course, but a nice car for $189/month).

No-shows on the Black Friday ads included Mazda6 (no ads at all), and Honda with a virtual no-show in that all the local dealers did is republish the usual national lease rates--local Honda dealers NEVER have ads with anything other than lease deals for some reason. I've seen purchase prices in ads in other cities so maybe it's just a Twin Cities Honda dealer collusion thing. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving, and happy Black Friday car shopping for those venturing out tomorrow! I leased a Sonata last Black Friday, and got two other cars this year (one used, one new on a lease) so I'm set at least until the Sonata lease is up in a couple of years. I can sleep in tomorrow. :)
    A couple of posts back I was advised to keep service records, which I do. I keep paper copies in my safe.

I also have access to all my service visits online and can make appointments online as well. All very nice. Where Kia fails to meet expectations is at the service counter, and in the shop. Hopefully these area's will improve greatly in a short period of time, just like their products have.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,621
    On a recent 180 mile highway trip we got 37 mpg in our 2013 Accord 4 cvt going c. 70 mph with 4 people, a dog, and luggage. Pretty good.

The dealer who sold me the car gave me the 1st oil change free, which I just claimed.

Our 2008 Accord we got from the mega dealer in town, while the 2013 was from the much smaller dealer who offered a better price. Both have nice waiting areas and good service as far as I can tell. I do keep my receipts, but I'm also glad that Honda keep the records in their database as well.
    Did anyone watch the Edmunds story of the guy who replaced his 14 year old Accord with a VW Passat turbo diesel? Nice enough video. Seems like he got a good enough price from the Edmunds price service. The mpg for a diesel Passat is very high (31 city and 43 highway), but personally I doubt that he will be keeping this car 14 years, even if he wants to. I honestly hope I'm wrong, and that VW has solved most of its reliability issues, but I fear that he will be spending more time at the dealer service center than he did with his old Honda. The Passat has been out long enough that they should have fixed most or all of the bugs by now, and perhaps it will be a very reliable car for him. Who knows, maybe he'll pop in here and let us know how he's doing?
    I'm guessing that there will be some blow-out sales of midsize cars this month. Anyone wishing to buy this month should be able to get a very good deal on a very nice car. Inventories are high for most models, and so dealers should be willing to deal to move the metal....
    The Accord made the list again, the only midsize and mid-price car to do so. One of their comments:

"A six-speed Accord Sport sedan for $24,505 rates as the best all-around value for a new car, period."

And you might, actually, be able to get 2000 off of that price.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-10best-cars-feature-dynasties-2014-bmw- -3-and-4-series-honda-accord-page-3
    edited December 2013
    This is my 2 cents, obviously, and others would come up with different lists....

Best styling (very subjective, I know)
    3-way tie: Optima, Fusion, Mazda6

honorable mention (for me): Accord (in a form follows function way)

worst (for me): Camry

Best mpg standard model auto:
    Nissan Altima is rated 31 combined mpg by the EPA

honorable mention: Accord 30, Mazda6 30

Safest:
    Accord, according to IIHS

Fastest acceleration:
    V-6: Accord
    4 with 6 speed manual: Accord
    4 auto: Accord again? Or is someone else faster? Don't know...

Best handling and steering:
    Mazda6, according to most comparison test drives that I've read

Best visibility:
    Accord

Quality and reliability:
    tie? Optima, Accord and maybe some others?

The midsize segment is the most competitive its ever been. The winner is the consumer....
    Glad you brought up the TDI Passat. It helped Volkswagen sell a lot more TDI models than expected.

Sales of its diesel products rose to almost 30% this year, much greater than the 18% expected.

The Passat is what helped them do it apparently. I would much rather drive a Passat TDI than a Prius or really almost any other high MPG sedan. I think view it as a better alternative to buying hybrid this and that, which are a lot more complicated and expensive, and nowhere near as classy and attractive. A diesel really suits american driving tastes too. Lots of torque down low delivers the "oomph" we crave down low to squirt into traffic w/o prayer or drama.

How do I know? I owned a '96 Green Passat TDI. It had a whopping 90 horsepower, but almost 200 lb ft of torque. It got the job done, and I got 45 mpg w/o even trying.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,194
    In Europe, they keep their cars for 10 years plus. They accept the fact that repairs will occur and pay for dealer maintenance to minimize problems. Unlike service personnel here, the euro techs know their cars well because they dominate the market. If you meticulously maintain that TDI with personnel that actually know the engine, you should get at least a decade of use from it maybe more.
    If I was shopping today it would be:

Most attractive for under $25,000

Accord Sport, Mazda6 Sport, Optima EX

Most attractive over $25,000
    Accord V6 Touring, Passat 3.6 SEL, Optima SX-L (I would love to say Mazda 6 Touring....but not w/ 185 hp for $32,000)

Least attractive/memorable
    Camry, Malibu, Altima
    edited December 2013
    What you say is true, but running some epa estimated annual fuel costs I got a shock....

The EPA estimates the following
    2014 Passat turbo diesel auto, 34 combined mpg
    Annual fuel cost: c. $1700

2014 Nissan Altima 31 combined
    Annual fuel cost: c. $1550

Since diesel fuel costs more than regular gas these days, the higher mpg of the Passat turbodiesel can be more than wiped out....

The Kia Optima, by the way, was estimated to have annual fuel costs of $1750. So the difference between your car and a Passat diesel is maybe one tank a year? Not worth the smoke and hassles of a diesel imho.

But maybe the epa underestimates the mpg of diesels? I don't know....
    Around here there is little to no chance of getting highway miles to offset city miles for a better average.

I have started to try to correct my driving habits recently. Easy on the gas, and using the instant mileage meter to try and keep it over 25 mpg. It is darn hard. I am still at 22 mpg. It is frustrating to not get the 24 mpg on the sticker...ever.

I am going to ask on the Optima boards what kind of MPG they are getting. I will report back in 24 hours with some figures. Should be interesting.