Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• cskicski West Springfield, VAPosts: 1,053
    Here is an area vs area comparison on the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid:

Chicago (McGrath City) 2013 hybrid: $31,605 MSRP

DC/VA (Fairfax Hyundai) 2013 Hybrid: $32,490 MSRP

DC/VA (Fairfax Kia) 2013 Hybrid $32,959 MSRP

The LX trim Hybrids (Both Kia and Hyundai) are roughly $25,500 - $26,500 MSRP

Check this ad: http://www.fairfaxhyundai.com/models/hyundai-sonatahybrid?cs:a:i=hyundai_nav_son- ata
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,451
    Last year, I survived my Christmas present from the kids.
    Outdoor ice hockey game at Soldier Field in January. Brrr.
    I bought the Fusion at the end of last February, so I have never driven it cold weather very much.
    Also, I've been working a bit later, so I'm heading home at peak traffic times.
    The fuel mileage has suffered, but the heat works well and the car is easy to drive in stop and go traffic.
    My old Explorer is pretty abrupt off and on the throttle, so not too enjoyable to drive in stop and go.
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 429
    edited December 2013
    I've been enjoying my new accord in the cold. Parking in an insulated garage at home helps in the morning, but it also heats up right quick in the evening headed home. I only drove it once in the Great Dallas Iceapalooza. OEM tires were obviously not meant for winter (which I assume is over now...) but it wasn't as scary as I expected. Put the manual in second, feet off the pedals, and it pulled like a little tractor.
    To be more specific, the Accord Sport M/T and the Mazda 6 Touring M/T both made the list. Also, the Mazda 3 made the list, but not the Miata.

So, here are the exalted ones:

Accord Sport
    BMW 3/4 series
    Mazda6 Touring
    Mazda3 Touring
    Audi A6/S6/A7
    Chevy Corvette
    Cadillac CTS V-Sport
    Ford Festiva
    Volkswagen GTI
    Porsche Cayman/Boxster
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 429
    edited December 2013
    10 Best was not specific to trim level. Any Accord or Mazda6 makes the cut. They just identified their favorites and how they're order their own in the commentary, as they did with every other vehicle on the list.

That said, I happen to agree that, "A six-speed Accord Sport sedan for $24,505 rates as the best all-around value for a new car, period."
    That's pretty high praise! (And it's an even better value when you get it for $2K off MSRP.)
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,543
    The Accord has always been on C/D's 10 best list every year since the beginning. It seems that sometimes they really struggled to find a reason to keep it there, and clearly in some model years it did not belong there, but they didn't seem to want to break the string. Having said that, I have no issue with the current model being there. It does tend to diminish C/D's credibility though.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

edited December 2013
    Where C/D lost me was when they said: "the 1994 - 1997 fifth-gen is a particularly warm memory". WRONG!!!

It may be a warm memory to the author (Aaron Robinson), but the 1990-1993 is clearly the best looking, most iconic Accord ever produced.

See pics here: http://www.hondanews.com/channels/honda-automobiles/archive/1990/photos?year=199- - 0

After that, all Honda could do is hope to continue to achieve perfection. I loved the aluminum-platter rims on the EX model in particular. This was the car where I bothered to learn the DX, LX, EX, and Si model identification.

The interior, exterior, and the way the controls felt was so much better than anything else at that price. It drove like it was connected at the drivers cerebellum. Even now a good "survivor" is very desirable. It is sad that so many ended up ruined by the "Type R" crowd.

Honda did great on this newest model, and Honda earned that 10 best spot as well.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    edited December 2013
    It may be a warm memory to the author (Aaron Robinson), but the 1990-1993 is clearly the best looking, most iconic Accord ever produced.

WRONG! ;) The 1990-93 Accord was perhaps the most BORING incarnation of that car, styling-wise. (With the 1998-2002 gen a close 2nd.) Interior was nice, but exterior, especially on the sedan... boooor-ing.

I thought the 1986-89 generation was the greatest, especially the Coupe and hatchback. Anyone remember how desirable those Coupes were when they first came out?

Second best was probably the 2003-2007 generation. Before now, anyway. The current generation might be considered the greatest, if only because it replaced the dismal 2008-12 generation and because of the improved fuel efficiency and wider availability of the 6MT.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    I actually owned a smoke grey 1990 Accord sedan and I loved it, especially compared to everything else at the time. We traded it on an Explorer and my wife has driven SUVs and CUVs ever since.
    Wow. I actually like the 2003-2007 the least style wise. The back of the 03-04 looked like a Buick. As far as the actual operation of the car, it was great, until the transmission recall issues.

Remember that Honda changed the back end in an unplanned refresh. Then it looked much better. (to me). Still, the only Honda that has made me look twice are the coupes and the new sedan, and the new sedan reminds me of the 90-93 models.

It's funny backy, but I think I like the more angular cars and you like the more rounded ones. I actually liked the 98-02 models!! (could my taste in cars be boring???)Lmao.

It is the same with our current choices. We both own the current generation
    Hyundai-Kia's, just different sides of the same coin. Interesting.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Remember that Honda changed the back end in an unplanned refresh.

No, it was planned. Remember how Honda used to do mid-generation refreshes on all their cars, including the Accord. The Accord's refreshes typically included a tweak to the front and rear. A couple of other examples besides 2003-2007 were 1998-2002 and, more noticeably in the back, 1994-97.

It's funny though you thought the 2003-5 Accord's rear looked like a Buick--the Skylark, right? I used to say that years ago around here, and got a lot of angry responses from Honda fans. :)

New board is nice!!! But back to the Accord...The new taillight scheme was introduced based on customer feedback. I remember reading an article about it. Anyway, all mid cycle refresh are planned..this one was planned due to folks not warming up to it. The back looked like a potato to me, and the taillights bowed into a frown. So, yes, my keen technical description is the back of that Accord looked like a big frowning potato. Lol. :p

• I rent tons of mid-size cars for work (for long trips 6+ hours). Let's face it - cars are just so much better now than even a few years ago. I rented a Honda Sonata recently, and I was blown away by how much I disliked it. It was noisy and cheap and the steering was imho downright dangerous. I rented a Mazda 3 and that was very nice. I ended up buying a 2014 Accord EX-L, and that car is light years ahead of the Hyundai. I'm not trying to bash Hyundai's, I just don't get why they are so popular...it was by far the worst car I have ever rented.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,543

You get what you pay for, generally speaking.

I just noticed this discussion is listed on my Bookmarks page as being in the "Hyundai" forum. Why?

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Wow, I can't believe that no one has posted yet. My Optima turns two years old this month on the 28th. I have 24,384 miles, which is right on track for average mileage. So, I was thinking about how the car has aged. Is it as tight as it was when I bought it?

The answer is yes. It has held up very well. The interior surfaces have not faded, the dash cover has no sign of cracking, the drivers seat-bolster has a few more wrinkles in it from me sliding in and out. The back seat passenger seat belt latch has been twisted backwards somehow, and the steering wheel has some wrinkles in it from where my hand rests.

The exterior has held up well too, with a few exceptions.The main issue is the panel behind the back wheel is loose. Seems the plastic screw sheared off. I think someone backed into me downtown. Next, the chrome trim around the drivers window has some scratches in it, and is not as firmly attached to the frame in a one inch spot where the door opens from snagging on clothing during entry/exit. Other owners have had it break off, so if it gets worse Kia will replace it. The paint has normal swirls in it from cleaning and buffing. The front grill is hard to clean and has faded in some places just a little.

So, normal wear and tear from a normal owner. Only 3 more years of payments! ;) :'(

@glastonbury said: I rent tons of mid-size cars for work (for long trips 6+ hours). Let's face it - cars are just so much better now than even a few years ago. I rented a Honda Sonata recently, and I was blown away by how much I disliked it. It was noisy and cheap and the steering was imho downright dangerous. I rented a Mazda 3 and that was very nice. I ended up buying a 2014 Accord EX-L, and that car is light years ahead of the Hyundai. I'm not trying to bash Hyundai's, I just don't get why they are so popular...it was by far the worst car I have ever rented.

The "Sonoptima's" were available 3 years ago, and at the time had really good quality materials. Just two years makes a big difference when these competitive manufacturers continue to "one-up" each other on interior surfaces, knob and buttons feel and how they are weighted, etc.

The Hyundai and Kia EPS systems are tuned differently, but overall I am neither impressed nor unhappy. It is what it is and doesn't bother me.

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,019

Alot of folks like the look of the new Sonata. Hyundai discounts there cars so people feel they are getting alot more for there money. Reality is try selling or trading in a 2 or 3 yr Hyundai vehicle.......... there worth dirt. Here in NY it seems every other car is a Sonata.

I also agree with glastonbury.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

Took the Fusion out today, made one xmas shopping stop, went the car wash and back in the garage. Looks so good cleaned up, I'm not sure when I'll drive it again.

• brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,019

Explorerx4

Avoid car wash places were there are numerous cars lined up to be washed. This will avoid alot of scratches from the towels the guys are using. Alot of times workers will wipe your cars bottom then use the same towel to go across the top of car leaving those very fine scratch marks..

I always try to go to a good hand wash place were they dry with the mirco fiber towels and replace towels for every new car being dried. Its worth the extra $$ spent.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350