Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Brakes

1111213141517»

Comments

• I was driving the van with the ac on and i was driving and the breaks kept going soft all the way down. well I just had a small accident because of that. I found out the ac affects the breaks.
  • I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey. Twice now in the span of eight months my brakes have self-engaged while I was driving at over 40mph. My right foot was on the accelerator, and my left foot was on the floor, nowhere near the brakes. I am not a two-footed driver. They braked first for about a second or two, released for a second or two, slammed harder (enough to engage the seatbelt mechanism), then released, and repeated the process for four or five more times. No lights flashed on the dash, and I could actually see the brakes depress.

I've had no luck with diagnosis or repairs. Anybody else have any info or advice?
  • I just want to add my two cents regarding the pulsation issue with these newer Honda Odysseys. I'm a technician with 18 years experience. This is the 2nd time I've run into this issue. Something is strange with these brakes and I haven't been given the opportunity to figure out what it is yet. Customer comes in with a high speed shimmy when braking. The van is an 08 and has only 52k miles on it. The pads were wore out and it's pretty standard procedure to replace the pads and rotors in this scenario. The pistons and slides on the calipers were moving freely. I put the top of the line Napa pads and rotors on the front. While the problem seemed to get much better, it is not solved. The customer elected to take the van and see how it goes, but I know there's something else to this. I hand torqued all the wheels like I do on every vehicle. The tires are almost new and quality brand. They were balanced and rotated. I wonder if there may be an issue with the hubs, but unfortunately I wasn't given the chance to investigate further. Honda needs to own up to this problem. It's not like these are cheap, bottom-line vehicles they're selling here.
  • mike20878mike20878 Posts: 58
    They always tell us the brakes are less than 2mm but my regular mechanic tells me they are measuring wrong. The measurement for brakes should be in 1/32 of an inch. Saying it's less than 2mm is like telling you that you need a new 6 pack when there are 5 beers left (now, that may be true). The last time he checked the brakes he said they were fine and to check them again in 5k miles. We have a 2008 EX and have never had issues with the brakes as many of you describe.
  • sreisssreiss Posts: 65
    Millimeters and inches are just different ways to measure something. Two mm is about half way between 1/16th of an inch (2/32's) and 3/32's.

Perhaps your mechanic means that 2 mm is plenty of brakes remaining and there is no need to change them at that point? I don't know that your dealer is misleading, but they may be indicating a brake job is needed before it is absolutely needed. The question would be "at what point do I need to replace the brake pads (either in millimeters or in inches)?"
    Yes, I think he is saying that is too broad of a measurement.
    So I found out that 32's is the *industry* standard measurement.
  • lauren79lauren79 Posts: 1
    We have had this same problem with our 2008 Honda Odyssey braking on its own. It has done it five times over two years, at multiple speeds and in multiple weather conditions. The dealership has refused to fix it, saying they cannot replicate the situation. It is highly dangerous, as it has happened on interstate and in town roadways. There is a recall on Honda Pilots with the same issue. Has anyone had any success in having this problem solved? I do not understand why the dealership does not consider replacing the VSA, since this seems to be the problem with the Pilot. We are considering a lawsuit.
  • I considered the lawsuit idea until I heard about the Pilots and the Accords. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time now until the 07/08 Odysseys are included, so I'm biding my time. But I've had the same "we can't replicate it, so we can't fix it" scenario, even though they have to know by now that it is the VSA. I've even had a problem with the VSA light turning on and not turning off, but there's no code when they go to read it. Since they can't replicate it, then they can't do anything about that, either. Frustrating beyond belief.
  • My '03 had a serious problem with the brakes around 98,000 miles, brought it to my mechanic and he replaced the brakes. Since then, he's replaced the brakes three times in five years. The first two replacements he told me that the rotors were defective (made the supplier swallow the cost twice); third time he made them replace the defective rotors/pads with higher end. After a little over a year now, I'm having the same problem...high speed shimmy, pulsing when I gently apply brakes. I balance and rotate tires religiously every three months, just got new tires in October and it's finally dawned on me that it's a problem with my van causing the brakes to wear down...not the brake assembly! Did you get a chance to find out if the hubs were the problem?
  • apjlmapjlm Posts: 5
    Hi, I wanted to circle back and see if you have an update on brake problems you have seen? I have an '11 Odyssey with 24K miles and our brakes shimmy at speeds of around 30-60mph. Dealer says I need to resurface front rotors and get new brakes pads (this is on visual inspection, not full brake inspection) and that it isn't covered under warranty since we are past the 12 month/12,000 miles and it's considered "normal wear and tear".

I say I have never had a new vehicle need brakes so early in it's life. This is my 3rd Honda and my family's 5th.

Thanks for any insight!
  • apjlmapjlm Posts: 5
    I own an '11 Odyssey with 24K miles and our brakes shimmy at speeds of around 30-60mph. Dealer says I need to resurface front rotors and get new brakes pads (this is on visual inspection, not full brake inspection) and that it isn't covered under warranty since we are past the 12 month/12,000 miles and it's considered "normal wear and tear".

I say I have never had a new vehicle need brakes so early in it's life. This is my 3rd Honda and my family's 5th.

I am wondering if anyone else has had rotor/brake pad issues so early on in their Honda's life (or any car for that matter). The service advisor claims they see this all the time and that it is normal, but I am questioning that.

Thank you for any information!
  • sreisssreiss Posts: 65
    We have an 07 Odyssey and had the front rotors resurfaced at 54K miles. Brake pads not yet replaced (at 70K miles now) but they are getting low. I would say that we tend to be very easy on our brakes and get pretty long life no matter which vehicle, so depending on how heavy you are on your brakes, it could be happening a lot earlier.
  • jiminlajiminla Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problems with my 2008 Odyssey. I'm tired of having to resurface the rotors so often.
  • float1322float1322 Posts: 9
    Honda rotor and pad material is too hard. Change to a quality aftermarket rotor and pad (Tirerack)