Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Interior & Passenger Comfort Concerns

fshkpr1fshkpr1 Posts: 3
edited January 16 in Mazda
I am almost 6 ft. tall and wear size 11 shoes. If I drive my "3" Hatchback with manual trans with my shoes on, my right foot would sometimes get caught by the brake pedal when letting off the gas( gas pedal is in a tight spot).
It seems to me that this should be a safety concern. Anybody have this experience?

Fshkpr1

Comments

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    Post your Mazda3 AC problems here.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    It's a very long thread, but a few pages back there is a resistor and switch mod for the Mazda3's A/C. It does improve the A/C cooling and cycling time: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=46267.new;topicseen#new
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=46267.new;topicseen#new

page 30 - post 880 - All I can say is WOW - this Billm guy should get a job with Mazda - can you believe that someone just working on his own can solve a problem that Mazda has not solved in over 2 years.

I think Mazda knows what the problem is - they know how to fix it - they just don't care about their customers enough to do the right thing.
    I know, the guy is awesome. He wasn't terribly dissatisfied with his A/C either.

Yup, Mazda just doesn't care...
  • zoomzulazoomzula Posts: 7
    Has any one else had a problem with the A/C in an 06? I recently purchased one and have been back to the dealer twice. They tell me it works within specs and I tell them that I really could care less. All I care about is that when it's 99 degrees outside, the cabin of the car gets no cooler than 85.
    Has any one else had a problem with the A/C in an 06 i-touring? I recently purchased one and have been back to the dealer twice. They tell me it works within specs and I tell them that I really could care less. All I care about is that when it's 99 degrees outside, the cabin of the car gets no cooler than 85.
    Do you have climate control? If you have the AMB button you have auto climate control.
    No. I do not have climate control.
    Only those models with auto climate control have decent A/C performance. That's yours, mine, and many others' problem.
  • jozoomjozoom Posts: 5
    "Only those models with auto climate control have decent A/C performance" ... That absolutely NOT a true statement! I have a new 06 3-S with no climate control and my A/C works fabulously! I live in Florida .. my drive home of 35 miles every day, in a temp of 96, cruising @ 80 .. with the A/C on 1 keeps me quite cool .. actually chilly till I crack the window to smoke. My suggestion to people thinking about buying one of these wonderful cars is TEST DRIVE IT. My fiance test drove 3 different Mazdas and I drove 2 and the A/C was fine in each of them. If the one you drive doesn't work the way you like ... try another one. But the above-referenced statement is simply not true!! I absolutely love my Mazda .. more every day .. and for those of you who don't like yours ... I am truly sorry .. but there are lots of us who are more than happy with ours!!
  • nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    My A/C is fine on highway speed driving 60 to 80MPH, not a problem and more than comfortable. My question to you is "what is it like in stop and go traffic? idling, stopped for many minutes with the temps in the 90s and the sun beating down on you, sun hitting the dash. Mine truely sucks, frustrating and just wanted to kick the ------- out of this car. :mad: All cars at highway speed will have a good working A/C and be more than comfortable.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Over the past couple weeks the weather here in Northern VA has been in the low 90's, very humid, with the sun out and shining brightly. In the course of those two weeks I have driven (between 12pm and 5pm, so the hottest times of the day) an 06 Mazda 3i Touring, 06 Mazda 3s sedan , a 06 Mazda 3s hatchback, and both an 06 Honda Civic LX sedan and an 06 Honda EX sedan.

In each and every case, all of the vehicles were hot when I started my test drive and I opened the front windows about half-way down for about 2 minutes and had the air conditioning set to recirculate on full front, max coldness, and airflow set to 2-3. All of the vehicles cooled down within five minutes and the majority of the driving was in city situations (stop and go). Honestly, I did not feel hot at stop lights, or when traffic stopped. I have read about the Mazda A/C issues here on Edmunds and was really paying close attention to this during all my test drives. I did not notice little to any difference in A/C performance in any of the vehicles and decided (after much debate) to purchase the 3i Touring model.

My wife drove our new car several times this weekend and did not complain at all about A/C performance.

I am not saying that some folks have not had issues with their A/C, I am just stating, for the record, that I did not notice this issue with any of the Mazda 3's that I drove. All I can tell folks that are worried about this is to do a thorough test drive and ensure that they are comfortable with the 3's A/C performance..
    Well, I'll tell ya .. I spend my time commuting down Hwy 75 and due to accidents and (unfortunately just rubberneckers which slow things down for miles on end) I spend a lot more time than I'd like idling and stopped for many minutes with the temps in the 90s with high humidity ... again .. I have no problem with my A/C .. even just on 1 .. and my window cracked because when traffic hits .. I feel compelled to smoke. I must say .. the dealer I went through also threw in window tint .. maybe that helps more than I think .. but my A/C is a happy camper .. as am I with this car!! I absolutely love this car ... it's way more than I expected ... fun to drive, stops quick, and moves when I step on it, fit and finish rivaling a BMW. I also have a T.A. with 320+ hp sitting in the garage. Expectations have a lot to do with it. I can't be happier with this car and it was under $19 tax, license and out the door.
    I appreciate those that responded to my first post saying that their A/Cs are great. I'm happy for you. Fact remains: mine is NOT and I am trying to determine if there is anything in the world that I can do about it. HAS ANYONE WITH THE PROBLEM MANAGED TO GET ANYTHING DONE ABOUT IT? If so, please let me know.
    From the moment I noticed the problem, I have been keeping a strict record of outside temperature versus inside (If anyone is interested, I'll post my results.) Of course, I don't know what good my records will do because the dealership's interest centers around the temperature at the vent, not the passenger compartment. Hopefully, my state's lemon laws will be of use to me. I'll know soon, as I've made an with my attorney for later in the week. In the meantime, I'll be taking the car back in tomorrow to see why my clock appears to be loosing time. While I'm there, I think I will once again mention the nasty static on my radio. And, lest I not forget, I fed Zula her third tank of gas yesterday and confirmed the fact that she is indeed a very hungry girl: 18.1 MPG.
    I'm starting to miss my 96 Protege.

Just so everyone knows, I too loved the Mazda3; that's why I bought it. I just wish my Mazda3 would love me back.
    Please post your record of the outside temp versus inside.
    Thanks
    Please would dc_driver and jozoom could you post your vent temps and how often your compressor cycles on and off..example cycles on 10 seconds and off 50 seconds or what ever time you get. Test with fan speed at 2 and recirc on.
    Thanks for your help...
    I have a new 06 3-S with no climate control and my A/C works fabulously! I live in Florida .. my drive home of 35 miles every day, in a temp of 96, cruising 80 .. with the A/C on 1 keeps me quite cool .. actually chilly till I crack the window to smoke
    Sorry, I don't buy it. I may have believed you if you said that you were fine at level 2 or 3 in highway traffic.
  • richmlrichml Posts: 156
    Bill, I noticed something while driving my 3 down the interstate a couple weeks ago on a very hot, humid, sunny day. I reached behind me to get something off the floor, and noticed that the floor felt very warm.
    Checking our other car (a Mazda with fine AC) and rental cars I've been driving lately (AC of various quality), I'm wondering if there is a lack of insulating material underneath the floor mats and around the cabin?
    Maybe, in addition to the expanse of untinted glass and black interior, this could add to the strain on the AC on very hot, sunny days?
    First, Nifty ... if I had a temp probe .. and some free time I'd do it for you .. but alas I can't. As for ex tdier .. You can buy it or not .. that's your choice. However, I do not lie .. not even to the police when they ask me "do you know how fast you were going?" I have absolutely no reason to lie .. I'm simply telling you how my particular car operates. I left work this afternoon, after the car had been sitting in the sun all day at 90+, I turned the recirc and a/c on, turned it to "2" and within two blocks .. turned it back down to "1" and kept it there until I got home. So believe what you want .. I only "tell it like it is."

Back to Nifty ... good luck with your attorney .. I work for a law firm myself and we actually were offered a case where someone really had a lemon Mercedes. In my humble opinion .. you'll be spending a lot in attorney fees with a small chance of recovery .. which money could probably be better spent on either another Mazda which will make you happy or something else. I wish you much luck. My past experiences with cars is this: Sometimes there is just a car that was put together on a Friday afternoon or Monday morning that just isn't "right" .. that doesn't mean they all stink. For example, I had two Cameros .. one great and one that was in the shop every other week. I didn't turn into a Camero-hater .. I simply got rid of the one I wasn't happy with and learned how to really evaluate a car during a test drive .. and I haven't been stuck with another stinker since.

I am extremely happy with my Mazda, it goes great, stops great, cools me off great and is a blast to drive. I'm really sorry a few of you aren't having the same good experience I am.

Good luck!
    Are you sure you don't have an AMB button near your A/C controls? Because if you're not anemic or have some other health condition, you're in the minority,