Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Interior & Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 275
    The REALITY is that THE MAJORITY of Mazda dealers are trained not to admit there is ANYTHING wrong with the vehicle unless there is a fix available or soon will be. What they told you is regarding the diffuser issue, not the problem plaguing virtually all Mazda3 owners withOUT climate control. End of discussion.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    all the mazda dealers were on the grassy knoll in Dallas also...
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    hahahahahahahaha!! :D
  • ecm56ecm56 Posts: 16
    I do not have climate control and my A/C works great. End of discussion.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    End of discussion.

Not likely. ;)
  • nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    The dicussion will probably continue from those with any updates, solutions and a general comment about their A/C. Anybodies experience with their service department and how they were treated regarding their A/C... :D
    check out the poll at the link posted here..let me know what you think....

Am I correct - 15000+ members of the forum and 254 filled out the poll? And out of those 254, half say they have "weak A/C (at level 1 or 2)"
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,716
    Well probably 1% to 3% is about normal for a "factory defect" type of failure rate. That is, 1 to 3% of owners will suffer because of some factory screw-up. Why only this percentage if a "defect" is truly a "defect"?

Good question. Probably a combination of factors, such as not all cars being exposed to the conditions necessary to expose the defect, some people more tolerant than others, some don't complain or don't care, others don't have the problem (maybe it was just a small production run), some get fixed by dealers and are done, etc. etc.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Do you really think that all 15,000 members would chime in and read every post. How many active members are there? do you know? I don't. I am not even sure your numbers are right. Some might have been members and no longer are but have not signed out. A list of all the members and the number of the posts they have entered would help if it was available. I am a member on many forums and no longer participate but I am counted as a member still. So some more research is required on your part..
    Clouding the issue won't help.
    Another point. Look at the top of the home page, you will notice there are many other forums- Ford Fusion, Volvo, Cobalt Mazdaspeeders. All of these are included in the member count. Some members have joined but not even posted. Some have not even posted in the last few or more months. Just an random observation
    Your move...
    My point was 250 is (obviously) an insignificant number to Mazda. That is unfortunate but apparently true.

I'm not trying to argue - I'm actually quite sympathetic to the cause. I owned a Ford with the now famous ignition module problem that would cause the car to die at inconvenient times (like when you were going 70 on an interstate). It sucks that they won't fix it. How did I fix my Ford? The old fashioned way, I sold it (actually, I traded it on an Acura).

To get any traction with Mazda, this issue needs a larger forum than what's here. Now, if you could just find some poor woman with a child that had some terrible medical condition that required air conditioning and she bought a Mazda 3 with her last few dollars so she could transport him and was taking the kid to a clinic for treatment and the a/c didn't work . . . . they'd fix it in a heartbeat!
    What year was your Ford? I had a 1987 with the same problem, took it to an independent garage, the mechanic know exactly what was wrong replaced a module and no problems till I sold the car.
    OK so let us pretend we all need A/C for medical reasons, we all go to a clinic for treatment, man woman child and the A/C is weak, we almost die, so why doesn't Mazda fix it. Kind of silly is it not? There is a difference between not working and working but weak. It's a design flaw and I am hoping there could be a fix and maybe Mazda is working on something. With the 04 they had many complaints and added a TSB to add a diffuser plate to help cure the problem but really was not good enough. So you see there was and still is a problem with many vehicles because there hasn't been any design changes. Mazda just keeps making the same mistake. All the A/C parts have the same part numbers from 04 to 06. 07? In Canada Mazda did not offer Auto climate control from 04 to 06 but will in the 07 model.
    So you see I am still waiting for that fix in a "heartbeat"
  • jlukejluke Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2006 Mazda3 s hatchback last weekend in Hillsboro, OR. Before we went for the test drive, we started the engine & turned on the A/C at idle. Within 15 seconds, it was blowing cold. We have had no problems with the A/C in 100 degree weather with nasty humidity. Mazda got the A/C right with this unit & we love everything about the car.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Most of the AC problems are in the sedan - not sure why - the cars are the same mechanically.

The service tech at Mazda told me he has heard from many sedan owner about AC issues - but none in the hatchback.
    Now that's very interesting. I wonder what the overall glass area is in the sedan compared to the hatch?

I think my Scion has too much glass for the AC to deal with.

Any of you with deficit AC tried window tinting? Did it work or help?

• dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    I am getting my 3 tinted next week, but I always tint my windows (growing up in Florida, it is a must). A good window tint (I recommend "Formula One" window tinting) will reduce direct sunlight into your car by 30-60% depending on how dark your states laws are.

The A/C in my 3 blows cold air, but if the car is sitting in direct sunlight for several hours it can take awhile to cool down. But that is true of any car..

I think your Scion will feel a little cooler with tint, and it should cut back on how much A/C you use. Good luck!
    I think that cars with large glass areas are very hard to cool in traffic especially. That's when the glass really heats up and overpowers a marginal AC system.

Had my windows tinted right after I bought the car in April of 2005 so can't really say it has helped, but, i am sure it does. I have 35% all around as anything darker might get me stopped by the police for a too dark of a tint. Maybe I should have gone with 30 or 25% on the rear windows. My car is a sedan. Mazda is not the only car built that has a large glass area with a black interior so I think they should have designed a better system. Then again maybe they thought they had and found out the hard way that it is weak.
    Well it took Mercedes about 20 years to build an AC that wasn't a joke, so maybe Mazda still has some homework to do on certain models. It's quite a science actually to make modern AC so light and environmentally friendly and still able to cool a car quickly. Your home AC could never match a car's AC performance....but then your home AC isn't being driven by 150 HP either.

• b4wrnb4wrn Posts: 10
    I find the Ac on My 82 240D has been fine over the years. It is manual control and I have had no problems so far. I realize the automatic Ac & heating controls was made by Chrysler during that time and it was a problem over the years. My cruse electric control (made by GM) :sick: only lasted a few years. I replace it with a vaculmn aftermarket which has worked fine.
    You're lucky you have manual control on an old Benz. Stuttgart is a long way from Phoenix, and maybe Hiroshima is, too.

• ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 275
    Every manufacturer seems to be different. About 4 years ago when I was test driving vehicles, I drove the BMW 3 series. It was their base model but it had A/C. The A/C was just awful and gutless. That was the first thing I noticed about it. On the otherhand, the A/C was very good in my 2002 4 cylender Jetta diesel. It also uses the same refridgerant as the Mazda. There seems to be no complaints whatsoever with the Mazda3'models with auto climate control. This won't be made available in Canada until 2007; however, the Mazda5's here do have auto climate control.
    Happy 4th!

Today, the temps were well into the 90's near the Nation's Capital (heat index was 105 degrees F!)..

I figured this was as good a time as any to really put my A/C to the test. The car had been parked under a tree but was still very hot before I started it. In fact, it was so hot that I could barely put my hands on the steering wheel.

I started the car and lowered all four windows halfway. I switched the A/C to "recirculate" (per the owners manual), had the air set to "3", all the way cold and started to drive. After about 2 minutes I raised the windows and left it on recirculate and level 3 for about 3 more minutes. After five minutes I was able to set the fan level to "2" and changed from "recirculate" to "outside air" and was quite comfortable. The air does not get as cold as my Honda Odyssey, but my 06 3i Touring (manual air) is plenty comfortable in the hottest temperatures.

I have read about the 3's weak A/C issues on other boards and do not believe it is fabricated. It just seems to affect random people. Some folks have issues and some folks don't. I really hope Mazda finds a solution for the folks who are having problems.

I plan on tinting my windows very soon and will post about it. It should help my dark interior stay a little cooler when the car is sitting in direct sunlight.

Take care!
  • fugufishfugufish Posts: 4
    That's because the auto climate control sets the system to recirculate by default until the set temperature equals the ambient (outside) temperature. You can manually override it without taking the system out of "auto" but I'll bet most people never notice.

On a hot day, the system will constantly recirculate. Sounds like a kludgy way to compensate for a weak A/C system.
    I always thought that switching to recirc was what you were supposed to do after the car got cool? Am I wrong about that?

Yes. You use recir to quickly cool or if you are in dusty/foul air. You should switch to outside or fresh air once the car is cool. I checked and my 06 Honda gives the same guidance.
    Mr Shiftright you are correct sir, don't listen to dc_driver as he is just trying to confuse us. No where in the Mazda manual does it say to switch to outside air mode after the car has cooled down when using the A/C. Who cares what Honda suggests, besides it sounds like they are wrong.
    whoa, nifty, thanks for the heads up, but let's be nice.

I think we could compromise here...would it make sense to advise people to use recirc to cool the car down quickly and then say occasionally switch to outside air setting for a few minutes to refresh the air in the cabin?

Sure.

Look, people can run their A/C in recir all day long if they wish, it should not hurt their vehicle. Nifty is right in the fact that the Mazda manual suggests using recirc to cool the car down as quick as possible. But they also state on page 8-2 of the manual to use outside air for normal driving conditions. If you ask me, the Mazda manual is a little lacking in detail, so I reference the Honda manual because, well, it is a little better written :)

For folks that live in a hot climate (especially if they have a dark interior like mine) here is a climate control tip posted on the Honda Owners website. I have found this to work well for my Mazda3 and am passing this information along to anyone who might find it useful:

(Q) How can I cool my vehicle down quickly after it's been sitting in the sun?

(A) Start the engine and push the A/C Button to turn on the A/C. Make sure the temperature control lever is all the way to the left. Set the fan to maximum speed. Open the windows partially and select Recirculation Mode. Once the cool air has replaced the warm air, close the windows, switch to Fresh Air Mode and turn the fan to the desired setting.

** Note "Fresh Air Mode" is "Outside Air" in the 3..

Enjoy..