Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Interior & Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• bean3422bean3422 Posts: 183
    I know these comments were made awhile ago, but I just wanted to point out that the pedals are setup on the Speed3 that way on purpose. This makes it easier to perform "heel n toe" downshifting like "real" race car drivers do. You can research this on the internet, but basically you should hit the gas while downshifting to attempt to match "revs". If you are in 5th gear downshifting to 3rd, you may be going 3000 RPM in 5th, but 5000 RPM in 3rd. You should already have the engine running at 5000 when you release the clutch.

The majority of time that you downshift is when slowing down for a curve, etc. Thus the necessity to hit the brake while hitting the gas to match the "revs".

I practice this constantly because of my race driver fantasy, but I suppose would be an inconvenience for most drivers. Even though if you own a Speed3, it would not be beyond reasoning to think it would interest you. It is a better way to drive, once you get the hang of it. Less stress on the drivetrain.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,283
    I practice this constantly because of my race driver fantasy, but I suppose would be an inconvenience for most drivers. Even though if you own a Speed3, it would not be beyond reasoning to think it would interest you. It is a better way to drive, once you get the hang of it. Less stress on the drivetrain.

I practice the method in all of my manual transmission vehicles- including my 1999 Jeep Wrangler. It keeps me in shape for track events. I also "double-clutch" on downshifts, my goal being to shift as smoothly as a good slushbox.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• I agree! It is one of the poorest designs out there.
    If you're going to put a telescopic wheel in a car it should go from too close to too far. Not from bearly close enough to way too far!
    This is probably the biggest reason I will not keep my Mazda3. The seats are up there on my list too, I'm kind of use to the poor pedal placement by now(30K+miles)
    I actually prefer to drive my 1995 Nissan Quest, which never won any ergonomic awards itself.

JKG
    I agree! It is one of the poorest designs out there.
    If you're going to put a telescopic wheel in a car it should go from too close to too far. Not from bearly(sic) close enough to way too far!

This is the only Mazda 3 forum where I've heard anyone complain about the steering wheel position. It works fine for me.

The seats are up there on my list too

Seriously? The Mazdaspeed3 seats are some of the most comfortable OEMs out there.

I'm kind of use(sic) to the poor pedal placement by now(30K+miles)

See the heel-toe tutorial/discussion above.

I actually prefer to drive my 1995 Nissan Quest, which never won any ergonomic awards itself.

1995 Nissan Quest? You honestly prefer a 12 year old minivan to a true driver's car that has topped numerous top ten lists on both sides of the pond?
    To each his own, I suppose... :confuse:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    1995 Nissan Quest? You honestly prefer a 12 year old minivan to a true driver's car that has topped numerous top ten lists
    Likely those 12 year old seats have been worn into that oh-so-perfect shape.
  • I am 6'4" with 37" arms and sz 15 feet and I love my Speed3 setup. I have driven 10 hrs at a time, through the mountains and interstates and am more comfortable when I arrived at my destination than when I drove our 97 LHS. The heel and toe combo is slick and very doable even w/my big feet. I had to accustom myself to the foot feed due to big foot but was no problem. My posture while driving is made to be correct with the reach to the steering wheel and is comfortable. I am 62 yr old fart and I love my Speed3 ZOOM ZOOM
  • I am looking into either a 2005 Mazda 3 or Honda Civic. I have heard many rumors about the Mazda 3's defective a/c. Is this true? I live in Arizona, and it gets unbearably hot over here. Also, what if I were to move up to an Accord or 6, since mid-size sedans are safer than compacts right?
    I have heard many rumors about the Mazda 3's defective a/c. Is this true? I live in Arizona, and it gets unbearably hot over here.

My Mazdaspeed3 coped pretty well with the 98F-102F days we had in KY this summer. The automatic climate control tended to keep the system on Recirculate, which helped a lot.

Also, what if I were to move up to an Accord or 6, since mid-size sedans are safer than compacts right?

Not necessarily ; I prefer smaller and lighter vehicles. Two of my other vehicles are over a foot shorter than my Mazda, and the remaining one is only 3 inches longer. I'd go with the 3.

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    mid-size sedans are safer than compacts

Why not check for yourself on the NHTSA site (www.safercar.gov)? The problem with these types of general statements is that they lead people to think that they need to drive a Hummer or a boat in order to feel safe. For me, a safe car is one that has been properly engineered.

p.s. Consumer Reports (www.consumerreports.org) reports on car safety also
  • Thank you for the reply and links. With smaller and lighter vehicles in mind, why shouldn't I go for the civic coupe? I am a college student so I wont be needing that much extra space.
    With smaller and lighter vehicles in mind, why shouldn't I go for the civic coupe?

Well, it all depends on your personal preference. I chose the MS3 because I'm an incorrigible hot-rodder/track junkie, I needed four doors, and I like hatchbacks. There's not a thing wrong with the Civic- it just wasn't what I wanted or needed. Drive them both and make your own call; you can't lose with either cat.

• Yes. I have test driven 4 Mazda 3s and rented 1. I first found out about the a/c issue when I test drove an '06 GT and the temperature was low 70s and the a/c took 10 minutes to cool off what my "96 Altima and a Corolla I test drove did in a block.

I figured it ws a bad car so during a heat wave (temps in the mid to high 90s)I dove (both '06) a GT and an S. After a 13 minute test drive the slaesman could not wait to get me out of the car b/c it was so hot. Te air coming out of the a/c vents was only cool not cold.

I test drove an '07 i with temps in the high '90s. After a 20 minute test drive teh car was still too warm although the air coming out of the vents was very cold.

I rented a 3i not sure if it was an '05 or an '06 with the temps in the middle '80s and teh A/c was fine.

My neighbor has an '06 GT w/ dark tinted windows and his a/c is fine when temps are in the '80s but is always too hot if temps are in the '90s.

The a/c issue kept me from buying the car.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    A class action lawsuit is underway:

http://www.hwm.ca/mazda_locks.htm
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    If that link doesn't work, try this one, info is on the left: http://www.hwm.ca/
  • After they fix the door locks, maybe they can work on the A/C.
  • I have a 2007 Mazda3 S and whenever I turn the heat on or the a/c on, I can hear something like a compressor turn on. It rattles and hums for a few seconds and then turns off. This cycle repeats itself over and over every few seconds as long as the air is flowing. If I turn the knob back to zero (effectively stopping the heat from flowing) the sound stops. Is this the compressor? and if so, should it be running when the heat is on?

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    That SOUNDS like an AC compressor starting up, but not being a 3 owner, I can't go out to mine and duplicate the noise.
    In most new cars, the AC compressor is on when you're on the defrost setting. You didn't mention whethere or not this is happening on defrost, so I thought I'd ask.

The fact that it cylces on and off doesn't sound right. I get the start up noise of the compressor when I first start up my heating/cooling system, but just that first time, not over and over again.

That part sounds like you might want to have your service guy check it out.

It might turn out that all this is normal, or they will say it's normal and you just happen to be focused on it.

Any 3 owners out there experiencing something similar?

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• The compressor cycles on and off when the a/c is on. It doesn't stay on the whole time. Also, the a/c (the compressor) will turn on automatically when you select the floor setting or beyond (like when you need to defrost/defog the front windshield), even if the temp is set to the hottest setting, as long as it is above 32F (0C) outside. This part is explained in the owner's manual. So, basically, what you're hearing is normal.
  • Thanks for the response. I did see something about this in the manual, but the sounds is quite loud. It also makes my car shake a bit when it turns off. What is that about? :confuse:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    AC compressors can make quite a bit of noise when they cycle on or off. The compressor in my refrigerator sacres me sometimes ;)

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews