Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Minivans

Comments

• maryh3maryh3 Posts: 263
    Not sure but I believe it has had stability control for a while. Even my old 2000 even has traction control -- not ESC but a forerunner.

Funny you should comment. Took that ski trip every year I've had my 2000 T&C van. Last year was perhaps the worst ice storm, MLK weekend. No problems. Went to Colorado one year -- so bad they closed the highway shortly behind us -- no problem. What can I say? In that minivan envy others have we now have to justify our snow traction before purchase. This is indeed enjoyable. Perhaps I should be glad my DCX van didn't "blow up" like others have. Wonder why I take these comments with a grain of salt?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Ha, I was asking regarding Mary's trip. And, I'm glad to hear Chrysler is now back in the pack for safety features; everyone keeping up with everyone helps keep all players involved on top of their game. Having driven the Odyssey in a hailstorm on a trip to Oklahoma (they get big-time hail out there!) I was glad to have VSA keeping me on track because things got awful slick. Remember, the city I live in hasn't had appreciable snowfall since 2000, so I've never driven in it! That's something I really can't help regarding my inexperience. My Accord doesn't have VSA, and while I wish it did, I haven't wrecked because of that either. I was just curious as to whether or not Chrysler was stepping up their game to match its competitors.

I wouldn't test-drive one as a single 20 year-old guy (don't need anything that big!), that's true, but I do drive a van pretty often, and learned to drive and park in a minivan as well.
    My friend has the 2002 AWD T&C Limited -- no longer can get it (100K -- no problems of course) I told her to hang on to it. Wish they made AWD now. Perhaps they will do so in the swivel n go package of the future now that stow n go isn't the only option.
    What can I say? In that minivan envy others have we now have to justify our snow traction before purchase.

Oh yeah, I was definitely trying to get your goat because I'm jealous of your van. :confuse: :sick: I'm a 20 year old single guy with little need for cargo/people carrying; trust me, there's no minivan envy. I'm not trying to be confrontational when I ask questions, why do you insist on being so?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I'm glad to hear Chrysler is now back in the pack for safety features; everyone keeping up with everyone helps keep all players involved on top of their game.

You may not realize this, but it takes years to design an automobile. Just because someone designs a new gee whiz gizmo, doesn't mean it appears instantly. I'm working on 2011 and 2012 modules now. Everyone has design cycles to work thru and you just can't toss features in next model year, they usually happen with major redesigns like the new Chryslers.
    Actually I'm just getting your goat too. I'm really am confident in my choice, got a great price and know its a good product. Can't beat that warranty either. I post because I find all this humorous and hope others do too.
    "You may not realize this, but it takes years to design an automobile. Just because someone designs a new gee whiz gizmo, doesn't mean it appears instantly. I'm working on 2011 and 2012 modules now. Everyone has design cycles to work thru and you just can't toss features in next model year, they usually happen with major redesigns like the new Chryslers."

And those that pioneer usually don't get it right the first time. But the competitiors have their standard but imperfect design to use and improve upon. And they don't have to spend the $$ for the original imperfect design.
    Of course, I understand this. Although it can be done (Stability Control was not standard on the prev. gen. Accord, but was added somewhere around 2005 to the V6 models which was not a mid-cycle change or a full refresh). It took a full redesign to get it in all Accord models, and I suspect that they followed Hyundai's lead in doing so. Somebody has to be first to introduce a feature; there's no shame in not having it yet. Remember the days before the 4-door minivan? Before any of the seats folded into the floor? Power doors and tailgates?

Somebody was first to get these, and somebody was last to get them. Chrysler led the way on lots of things; I wasn't trying to pick on Chrysler when I asked the question.
    But the competitiors have their standard but imperfect design to use and improve upon. And they don't have to spend the $$ for the original imperfect design.

Fill me on in the imperfections, please.

I've never experienced a problem with these 'imperfect' designs you talk about, and I've driven the first year for an Odyssey to have Stability Control, we've had one of the only vans at the time (apart from Mazda MPV) with a magic 3rd-Row seat. We've had some of the first available engines with Variable Valve Timing and never experienced a problem from these.
    I was being sarcastic when I said "getting your goat."

You ought to be confident when spending $ on a new vehicle. I'm glad you are and are happy with your choice. That's the whole purpose of all of this is making a choice that suits the person buying.
    " Before any of the seats folded into the floor?"

And like I say, the leader usually doesn't get it right the first time. The Odysseys put the spare tire into the rear window to accomodate this groundbreaking feature. When their surprised competitiors counter attacked, they did it better.
    Some say the ESC systems kick in too late. I remember specifically reading this about Subaru's. They'll eventually figure it out.
    Well, if that's the argument, isn't that true of just about EVERY feature?

Look at safety:

Disc Brakes<ABS<Traction Control<Stability Control

Chrysler was just behind the curve on that one. Not WAY behind, but behind. It's like buying a computer and having it become obsolete with the next model. That's going to happen every time, and likely so with vehicles and their features as well. That doesn't mean waiting longer to offer something makes it better, just later than the competition.

Say the 2009 Sienna comes out with a 6-Speed Auto, does that mean the Chrysler 6-Speeds were imperfect and flawed in design, and not as good as the 6-speed that the competitor offers?
    Not ALWAYS going to give problems, but often is the case. And keep in mind that the imperfections are often not seen until a few years of general public use.
    That doesn't mean waiting longer to offer something makes it better, just later than the competition. Say the 2009 Sienna comes out with a 6-Speed Auto, does that mean the Chrysler 6-Speeds were imperfect and flawed in design, and not as good as the 6-speed that the competitor offers?

Just like my company, we brought out a line of surface mount connectors for automotive applications. No one will have any remotely like this for about 7 years - it's all patent protected! Same could happen with Chrysler's 6 spd auto vs a new one from Toyota, later doesn't mean better.
    Same could happen with Chrysler's 6 spd auto vs a new one from Toyota, later doesn't mean better.

Right; that was my point. I'm off to lunch. Y'all take care. :)
  • I am interested in an '08 Sienna LE. Welcome any comments from current owners. Thanks.
    My father had a 2004, loved it, loved the dealership where he was treated like royalty! He traded it on a new Explorer because he wanted something more powerful to pull his RV, otherwise he'd still have it - misses the mpg :)
  • We had a 1999 Odyssey that got 17.5 mpg over 94,000 miles. Our newer 2006 has the extra 40 hp and 300 lbs and fifth speed tranny, but it only gets 16.5 mpg over 16000 miles. I'll admit my wife takes it out of town once every two week for a short 35 mile trip to Norfolk. Hopefully you all have gotten better gas mileage.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Only 2 valves/cylinder, no VVT-i, no DFI....

NOT..!!!
    Which engine are you talking about? Certainly not the new 4.0L, which has a SOHC 24v V6.
  • I was wondering how much a lease would cost on 2008 quest with moonroof leather . I think i can pay 380

I was quoted 2007 EX-L Odyssey .0028 50%res 800down 445mth is that close sell price of 27,100.

Also what is difference in 07 quest an 08 Quest. I am buying this week need some help please.

I want either one i need payment 350-375 i want leather either van HELPPPPPPPP
    Hey Graduate,

I got a site for you and the other power hungry/fuel efficient/ [non-permissible content removed] vs American technology debaters -- go to this site and enter into the debate along with the other readers:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/nov2007/bw20071113_975898.htm?campaign- _id=rss_daily

Have fun out there!!
    I'm staying here, thanks.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Cool, it goes from 0-60 in just over 7 seconds, it seems. The clock is at 3 when he starts and still on 10 when he breaks 60mph.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I have a 2007 LE, with package 3. We opted for the 8 seat model.

A similar 2008 model would be the LE EVP #2, for comparison purposes.

We are happy with ours. Paid $25,247 and got both power doors, 6CD, trip computer, basically a "medium" level of equipment.

The 268hp is sweet, do yourself a favor and don't even test drive this if you plan to buy anything else, because they will seem slow (even though they aren't).

We've gotten anywhere from 23 to 34mpg at different times, usually 26-30mpg overall on a tank of fuel. That's the amazing part - the most powerful van is also the most fuel efficient. It's easy to be one or the other, but both? There's no trade-off for the extra power.

Any regrets? Well, I was just promoted, so some times I wish I'd gotten a more loaded up model. $33k buys you a loaded XLE with DVD and NAV, backup camera and all. We went aftermarket for the movie player and got a bigger screen, so that's fine, but I do feel a bit of screen envy with my 3.5" GPS, vs. the 7" factory setup. I put a fish-eye lens on the back glass and it compensates a bit.

The catch was we have 2 kids and a nanny, so we use that 8th seat quite often. Noone has to crawl in to the 3rd row. We also use it when the kids take 1 friend, again nobody has to sit alone. If they bring 2 friends then they can sit 2-2, and you fold that 8th seat into a table, plus everyone can see the movie because the outer seats are spread farther apart than they are with captains chairs.

Basically the interior setup works perfectly for 5.

You can't get an 8 seat model with the XLE package, so even today I could not get exactly what I want.

And there you go - my #1 complaint is the packaging. You have to get run-flats to get AWD. You have to get a 7 seater to get GPS NAV. As many options as you will find, you're still limited in terms of what to choose.
    " However, when it comes to my cruiser, nothing beats the T&C Limited -- which I purchased with a friends EC number plus the current $1500 rebate for approx $33500 with NAV, swivel, and DVD."

Went back over the numbers for another poster and noticed that I forgot to add back in my deposit. Cost was $34100 NOT $33500 :blush:
    " The catch was we have 2 kids and a nanny, so we use that 8th seat quite often. Noone has to crawl in to the 3rd row."

A nice feature for families with young kids.
This discussion has been closed.