Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Minivans

Comments

• neile457neile457 Posts: 65
    Of course your numbers depend on where you are. We just bought a 07 T&C, and here's what I saw in pricing.

New Sienna LE pkg 2 (I looked at 2), and couldn't get it lower than $24K, but the lowest was 24100.
    Used 2006 Sienna LE (not sure what pkg), 21k miles, $18200

New T&C Touring (what I bought), 22.5K
    Used 2006 T&C Touring, 15K miles, 17,750

New Honda EXL (BIL bought), 32K
    Used 2007 Honda EXL, 28k miles, $24,750

So, with these examples, the Chrysler held more value $ and %. Kind of goes against the majority on this one! I thought it was crazy, also.
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    You should take at least $10k off MSRP of a 2007 DGC SXT or T&C Touring. Heck, I got $11k off in March on my T&C Signature Series. Buy yourself a one-way ticket to Detroit and drive it home. I read Sunday's newspaper with ads for $16k DGC SXT's with MSRP of $28.5k. Selection is low as porduction stopepd a few months ago to get ready for the redesigned 2008 models.
    Again, I think it depends on where you live. I got it for 8K off sticker, which seemed in line with carsdirect, 2 other dealers, and edmunds.com. But again, what is the resale values of all the vans where you live.
  • Would you mind telling me the names of some of these dealers who you've seen the ads for? I'm located in northwestern Ohio and would be willing to drive for a this kind of bargain, but I've been unable to figure out a way to see the actual ads in the newspapers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    I got my 2007 Signature Series T&C from Szott CJ:

http://www.fivestardealers.com/szott/Chrysler/en_us/website?adid=u&pid=u&daaXmlP- ath=&bid=&rid=u

I got a quote of $14391 out the door (MI 6% Sales tax included) for a 2007 T&C Base model with popular equipment group (MSRP ~$23.5k) from Rochester Hills CJ:

http://www.fivestardealers.com/rochesterhills/Chrysler/en_us/website?adid=u&pid=- u&daaXmlPath=&bid=&rid=u

My brother leased a 2006 T&C Touring through Livonia CJ:

http://www.fivestardealers.com/livonia/Chrysler/en_us/website?adid=u&pid=u&daaXm- lPath=&bid=&rid=u

I subscribe to the Sunday Oakland Press, but the Detroit News may be availible depending on exactly where you live in OH. I can try to scan an ad this weekend.
    wow!!!!!

Look at those low prices!!!!

Wait a minute, I didn't see em!

Oh yeah, btw, I noticed the first dealer had a 06 used for $20500. :blush:
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 289
    To answer my own question posted July 23rd, I just read in the newspaper this morning that Chrysler started production this week (August 20th) of their new 2008 minivans.
  • Hey, thanks for the links. I called several of the dealerships about some of these bargains, but they didn't quite pan out. As mentioned, the selection was very limited, and interestly enough, the sales were limited to state residents, not out-of-towners (citing incentive and tax reasons). Oh well, the wife's '97 T&C is still running like a champ, so I'm not too desperate. Thanks again, though.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    If your comparing 2008 model minivans, you'd better slide the Chrysler/Dodge vans way up there. The is nothing cheap looking about them.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    New Dodge GC SXT, $22,045
    Used GC, 2006, 30k miles, $14,837

So you save $1400 up front, that's good.

A year later, though, with the same mileage, you lose $6000 more. Ouch.

Net, you're losing about $4600 more buying the Dodge after just one year.

I realize this is dealer pricing, and perhaps your Sienna would only bring in $19k, but then a Dodge van would only bring in $13-14k.

It's a buyer's market for vans, is why.

Your pretty close on the pricing and resale value. But with the Dodge GC SXT, you get the over head console, with temp. compass, fuel, garage door opener. You also get power side and rear doors. Features you can't get on the Sienna, unless you pay around $30,000 or more. If your going to keep your van for 4,5,or six years, resale won't enter the picture that much. But those extra features are really nice.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Nope, my LE has a trip computer, temp gauge, compass, garage door opener, and power sliding doors on both sides and only cost $25k, not $30k. The only thing you listed I don't have is the power rear tailgate, and even then there is a power assist to close the latch, all you have to do it drop it.

And with Dodge you trade that off for a lot less power and 2nd row windows that don't open, plus an older design that is about to be replaced.

neile457: useful additional data, but note that the Dodge had about half as many miles as the Honda. That's not really a fair comparison.

aaron_t: I did not use MSRP, I used the no-haggle street prices around me. Those include all discounts and rebates, and represent a real-world price in the Mid-Atlantic region.

I do agree with you, MSRP is meaningless.

The lesson here is that used vans can be a real bargain. Even 1 year old vans can be had in some regions for a lot less than new.

One big factor for me was the 2007 Sienna got a much more powerful engine that I wanted. So to me, a 2006 was worth less, 40 plus horsepower worth.

Same for the 08 Dodge, by the way, which is much improved. The interior looks too Caliber-ish to me, but I'll reserve final judgement until I can touch and feel it in person.
  • Spy photo spotted (within the last 3 months, in California) a Honda Stream. Any indication if this mini-minivan is coming to market in USA & Canada? It looks to be the size similar to a Madza 5.

Looks like the answer is "YES". :)

http://news.windingroad.com/countriesmarkets/japan/japan-report-honda-stream-hea- ded-to-us-in-2009/
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Nice link to an excellent article. The Honda Stream will definitely appeal to many people.

However, without sliding side doors, the vehicle is NOT a minivan but is a station wagon, tall station wagon, or to distort the situation even more, with AWD it is an SUV (thanks to Subaru's definition). :sick:
    Stream looks great. It would be the sharpest looking entry in this small segment.

The Mazda5 and Rondo are the others.

Sliding doors or no, these are all similarly sized and priced, and will surely be cross-shopped.

Yet another entry will be the Dodge Journey:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=122333
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I believe that the Journey will be as large as a full size minivan.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Agree with ateixeira: Stream would be the most attractive.

One word for the Dodge Journey: UGLY :sick:
    The interior leaves much to be desired, but it's not that bad. The beer cooler is innovative.

It's based on the Stratus so it should be mid-sized, not full size. Vans are about 200-205" long while the Stratus is 191" long.

Plus, Stratus prices are a lot lower than Grand Caravan prices. The non-Grands will be gone, plus no more AWD.
  • Nice link to an excellent article. The Honda Stream will definitely appeal to many people.

However, without sliding side doors, the vehicle is NOT a minivan but is a station wagon, tall station wagon, or to distort the situation even more, with AWD it is an SUV (thanks to Subaru's definition).

Does that also mean that the first Honda Odyssey wasn't a minivan because it had no sliding doors?

What about the Mitsubishi Expo, and Colt Vista? Would you say that the Expo LRV, which was shorter than the Expo but had sliding doors was a minivan?

Clearly not all vehicles fit neatly into categories. And the definition of "minivan" has changed over time as the minivans have gotten larger and larger.

I like to use the term "microvan" or compact MPV for these smaller, tall, long wagon type of vehicles - with or without sliding doors and with or without 3rd seat options.

I'd say they can be safely distinguished from SUVs (even small SUVs like the Forester) due to lower ground clearance and hence greater interior space utilization.
  • Hmmm. Although I like the exterior looks alright, the Journey looks more SUVish to me. The center stack in the interior looks to be space-hogging. Radio looks to be double-din but placement at the bottom is horrible. Imagine trying to read a nav screen there. Who designs these things?

I do like the idea of getting rid of the non-Grand Caravans and coming in with a microvan in it's place. But from looking at the Journey, they clearly don't want to build anything that could possibly have "van" associated with it. "Crossover" is the where they feel the market is.
  • Well, actually the REAL current NA (North American build) Odyssey seems to be based on the Elysion model in Japan. See: http://www.batfa.com/newcar-hondaelysion.htm

The Japanese Odyssey has 4 doors that do not slide.

The NA Odyssey in 1999-2004 was sold in Japan as 'La Great' and looks the same as the NA one did did.

If you use you logic the Mazda9, I believe is considered by the industry as a mini-van although I would say it proably fits as a mico-mini-van, about the same size as the Stream.
This discussion has been closed.