Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Minivans

1565758596062»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    We may be splitting hairs, but I don't think it's a "shoot out"-style comparion if the CTS beats the BMW and Mercedes and they rank the Inifiniti G35 (not even tested in that issue) #1.

In a true comparo they would pick a winner from one of the cars tested.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    What they mean is, it's not like the japanese vehicles they're used to, therefore different and different is bad.

It's not just CR that gets "used to" an interior layout, it's everyone. Simple ergonomics make you feel right at home, right away. There's no having to get used to it. You inherently know where things are, it becomes 2nd instinct.

For the most part, Japanese makes have indeed copied each other, or at least standardized on a basic layout. The headlight switches are all in the same place, the wiper switches, the cruise (in most cases). Koreans hopped on this bandwagon. Even some domestic cars have caved.

Good Example: hop out of a Mazda, and into a Subaru, and all the controls are in the same place. Then go to a Honda, again, you're right at home. And to a Toyota, and so on. You don't have to go looking for wiper controls. This is good ergonomics.

Bad Example: you're in a Mercedes, and have to look for the light switch, which is on the dash instead of on a stalk. Then you get in a Porsche, and can't find the key hole, which is left of the steering wheel. Then you go drive a Saab, and the key goes in - the center console? And you can't get it out, until you realize the shifter has to be in Reverse. Then your 7 series Bimmer has a bizarre looking shift selector that takes a while to figure out. I haven't even brought up iDrive or any of those devices.

If you need a manual to figure something out, it's not intuitive. Bad ergonomics.

If you can get used to a certain layout, and move from car to car and feel at home instantly. Well, that's just good ergonomic design.

Notice I didn't criticize domestics - that's because I think the Europeans commit far more sins in that regard.
  • ...if you're done talking about 2008 minivans, it's time to shut this down. I don't see any new folks wandering in with questions. You can go to the other discussion I linked to the other day to continue your Minivans-Domestic vs. Foreign debate.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

This discussion has been closed.