Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Minivans

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I'll tell you this, my father owns a 2002 Sienna and loves it and especially the dealership (in Selingsgrove PA). They treat him like royalty everytime he stops there for basic service. They wash and vacuum his van for him, fix little things without delay. He raves about them.

Not that I can complain about my Dodge dealer...it's a new facility, rated no. 1 in USA by Chrysler. They have a trendy little coffee bar, sandwich cafe, online access with secured PCs, HDTV etc....Ohh the service is great too :)
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I am vocal because I was STUPID enough to believe CR and other "experts" when they wrote that the Sienna (and Odyssey) are superior to the Chrysler minivans and I now drive a minivan that lacks features that were on the "inferior" Chrysler T&C.

Well Hansienna, the Toyota minivans did have a lot of features on them and no one can say they didn't look and ride nice. Plus they had that Toyota reputation for quality. Although from what I have seen lately, Toyota's quality has gone down considerably. But you probably got a great van at the time.

I love my 2005 Dodge GC and all the features it has on it. But let's be serious, it looks very nice on the outside, but is bland in the inside. It only make up for it with stow-n-go seating which I use a heck of a lot. Looking at the inside of that 2008 though, makes my mouth water.
    I'll tell you this, my father owns a 2002 Sienna and loves it and especially the dealership (in Selingsgrove PA). They treat him like royalty everytime he stops there for basic service. They wash and vacuum his van for him, fix little things without delay. He raves about them.

Not that I can complain about my Dodge dealer...it's a new facility, rated no. 1 in USA by Chrysler. They have a trendy little coffee bar, sandwich cafe, online access with secured PCs, HDTV etc....Ohh the service is great too

Well the Honda dealership we take our 2004 Civic to is very nice. They also wash your car when in for service and have free coffee, rolls, apples and etc.

My Dodge dealer only gives out free coffee and there are machines to buy snacks. They'll wash your vehicle if asked, but don't do it as part of the service as our Honda dealer does.

But I'm always getting discount coupons for service on my Dodge. They give you discount coupons for things like oil change for usually either $16.95 or $19.95. The Honda dealer is usually always around $27.95. In over two and a half years, I have never paid over $20.00, minus tax for an oil change at the dealership. I have two other coupons for $89.95 for brake replacement, metalic extra and tune up for $89.95. Regular maintence cost has been a lot less on the Dodge than the Civic. Both have been problem free though. Last year I got an oil change coupon for $16.95 and free wiper blades that they put on. I liked that one a lot.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    To be very, very clear...

Ice Cream Toppings are OPTIONS, folks.

Things you get in the standard, base van are not ice cream toppings.

That's not the way I look at it. The "toppings" can be either stand or option. The difference is that the "ice-cream" is the core of the vehicle (ride, handling, braking, quality, reliabilitiy, interior space, etc) that are common to every "sunday/minivan" while the "toppings" are the added unique items that some want and others do not (stowNgo, run flat tires, auto-folding rows, etc).
    Let's also be clear. Even if it's standard, your paying for it because they just raise the price of the car when they put it on there. What's the difference if it's extra and the dealer comes down a thousand dollars from the price he was asking? You still got it as if were standard.

The important thing is, can you get what you want on your van at a reasonable price or don't they even offer it? Many of the things the Dodge/Chrysler offers now, Honda and Toyota don't even offer, no matter how much your willing to pay. If both the Honda and Dodge top out at $40,000.00 and the Dodge has 3,4,or 5 things the Honda doesn't have, does it make much difference many things on the Dodge were extra and standard on the Honda? It's only a shuffle game they play.
    Let's also be clear. Even if it's standard, your paying for it because they just raise the price of the car when they put it on there.

But DCX has lowered prices on the new vans :) They do it by beating the crap out of suppliers, demanding 10% "givebacks" per year until they go bankrupt or the part is sourced from China. My company stopped playing this game with the Big 3, after copper prices increased 4 times in past year, along with plastics (oil) increases, we were giving the farm away.
    Let's also be clear. Even if it's standard, your paying for it because they just raise the price of the car when they put it on there.

But DCX has lowered prices on the new vans They do it by beating the crap out of suppliers, demanding 10% "givebacks" per year until they go bankrupt or the part is sourced from China. My company stopped playing this game with the Big 3, after copper prices increased 4 times in past year, along with plastics (oil) increases, we were giving the farm away.

Japanese are famous for doing the same thing. As a matter of fact, they started it. The American manufactures were forced to follow or go under.

I have a video I taped many years ago somewhere around here, from a show like 20/20, where American part makers were complaining the Japanese were squeezing them dry asking for cheaper and cheaper parts. Many went out of business and when they did, the Japanese built their own plants and hired cheaper workers, or changed suppliers. They were doing the same thing to their suppliers in Japan.
    I also taped another video on how they dumped televisions on the American market, cheaper than they could make them in Japan, just to drive the American manufactures out of business and take over the television market, which they sure enough did. Why this contry let them get away with it still makes me angry.
  • carcom2carcom2 Posts: 212
    It's funny that most reviews use the Grand Caravan without self-leveling suspension.

If any of you have driven the new 2008 Chrysler Town and Country Limited with the self-leveling suspension, you would walk away with a better impression compared to the regular suspension. The drive and the looks inside are better.
    The T&C I drove takes much quicker composed turns,steering more responsive providing better feedback - not numb like most reviews state for the GC. I
    have a 97 GC Sport - the enhanced suspension helps it handle like a very good driving car - better than the regular 97 minivan.

That, to me, is the difference between the 2008 w/ self-leveling vs the 2008 without(you can buy as an option self-leveling for both T&C and GC). I thought the T&C drove great, the GC good. As I've mentioned before, better trim levels are available on the T&C. Check out the differences and let me know what you think.

For those of you out there into this - isn't a self-leveling suspension the ice-cream?

Nice job marine2. It would be nice if T&C/GC had a telescoping steering wheel. That's about all that isn't available. Although, even with the leather seats included suede inserts,I wish there was less vinyl. And it looks like the 3rd row is all vinyl. Can't remember the last time I sat on vinyl seats. Leather & fabric, yes. But vinyl? How are those in the summer? If wearing shorts, does your skin stick to it? I know I can always hit the remote starter to get the AC going.

I feel like buying something to replace the 97GC, although with 103K it still drives fine. Just that after 10 yrs, starting to want something new. Still love my 2005 300C.

So don't know if I will wait to see the VW minivan version or what else coming out. It's nice not having to need a new vehicle. But just want one.
    It would be nice if T&C/GC had a telescoping steering wheel.

Doesn't power adjustable pedals negate the need for telescoping?
    Not really.

I like sitting pretty far back. No problem with my feet to peddle distance. But my arms are pretty stretched out when sitting far back. So, a telescoping steering wheel will bring the steering wheel in closer so arms can be less extended.
    Mark Phellan's review says:
    One thing is certain, though: The company that invented the minivan still builds the best minivans you can buy.
    Summary

What Edmunds.com says
    Handsome, packed full of thoughtful features and offering almost endless entertainment options, the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan reclaims its spot as a top-tier minivan.
    Oct.2007, Motor Trend, page 134

The Japanese machines still hold an edge in interior finish, the dashes in the Honda and Toyota are large, unbroken expanses of rich looking material, whereas the Dodge uses harder plastic with an abundance of cut lines. But in every other way the Dodge felt the equal or superior vehicle.

Wheels Ca

"Chrysler laid on both a Toyota Sienna and a Honda Odyssey for back-to-back comparisons. These two suggest that the Japanese are still ahead on interior trim quality.

Chrysler recently upped the interior ante on its big sedans; a similar program should be in the works for the minivans, if it isn't already.

It's better than it was, just not at the top level yet.

And the mighty Odyssey engine is still the best in the field.

But for choice, features, functionality and value, the Chrysler minivan still rules."

Toronto Star

http://www.wheels.ca/newsFeatures/article/30709
  • allezallez Posts: 21
    Oh! The Sienna's handbook suggests you fill up with premium gas (an option, regular is fine; Odyssey states that you should use regular.

What handbook are you looking at? I have a 2007 Sienna and can't seem to find this information you apparently found. My owner's manual says regular and does not even mention premium.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Quote:
    "OCTANE RATING

Select Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher.

Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating or research octane number lower than stated above will cause persistent heavy knocking. If it is severe, this will lead to engine damage." (end of quote)

To Locate this information, look at the index at the back of the Sienna's Owner's Manual in the "F" section to locate "Fuel information" (page 510 of 2006 Sienna Owner's Manual).

I have used 85 octane (high altitude) most of the time except when driving below altitude 2,000 feet when I use 91 octane to bring average above 87...and then refill with 87. I have NEVER heard engine knock on my 2006 Sienna. Overall average is 24.8 MPG at 17,603 miles since purchase. Recent 215 mile round trip yielded 31.7 MPG ( 215.2 miles divided by 6.799 gallons. Filled at same pump before and after trip.) :shades:
  • hause7hause7 Posts: 153
    The 2004-2006 with the 3.3L V6 recommends premium, the new 2007-2008 Toyota Sienna with the new 3.5L V6 uses regular.
    Another reason for me to be "LESS than pleased" with the purchase of a 2006 Sienna. :sick:

Could you quote the page number in the 2007 Sienna Owner's Manual where it says the engine uses regular with no disclaimer than better performance will not be achieved with premium fuel? ;)
  • hause7hause7 Posts: 153
    I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna and am very happy with it, almost to the point where i don't want to trade it in for an 07 since it's been so good to us. Well i know it uses regular because it's in consumer guide. heres a link:http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2007-toyota-sienna-1.htm
  • Well i know it uses regular because it's in consumer guide.

I would check your 2007 Sienna's owner's manuel. I have found errors in Consumers Guide.
  • allezallez Posts: 21
    Could you quote the page number in the 2007 Sienna Owner's Manual where it says the engine uses regular with no disclaimer than better performance will not be achieved with premium fuel?

Sure. Page 388. :)
    THANKS...I will ask to see a copy of the 2007 Sienna Owner's Manual next time I get the oil and oil filter changed at my friendly Toyota dealership or send an e-mail to my friend who recently purchased a 2007 Sienna. ;)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,011
    If you haven't done so already, please post a service review! I'm sure your dealership would appreciate a rave review. :shades:

You can start here: http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I cannot use the Rave Review as Canada does not have ZIP codes. Our postal codes i.e. : N1E 3N7. (Letter, number, Letter, space, Number, Letter, Number. Each province has one or a few starting letters.
  • I hate all the egg-shape minivan models, but the new 2008 square-jawed TC and DCX are appealing to me as a man. I demand driving comfort, versatility, value and a great warranty before I spend my money. I test drove a 2008 TC LX with option package 24H that includes most important features to me: Stow n Go, adjustable pedals, and cruise control. Total TC MSRP with these options is over $26K but dealer quoted me $25K for cash sale. 2008 DCX SXT is identical in price and features, but not yet at my dealer for test drive. He also quoted me $27K for TC Touring model which has all above plus power seats and doors, slightly better horsepower (197 HP compared to 175) and is wired for many options I don't need. I prefer manual doors and seats that don't wear out motors after 3-year warranty runs out, so TC LX is fine by me. On same day, I also test drove 2007 TC LX which offers nearly $5K cash discount down to $23K, and 2007 Odyssey LX, and 2007 Sedona EX, both in $25K cost range. Adjustable pedals are available only on TC and DCX minivans for under $30K, and Kia dealer can't find any 2007 Sedona with them in stock. I've read many reviews about "top rated" Odyssey and "best value" Sedona, so I wanted to compare 2008 TC to them. No need for me to test drive 2007 Sienna or 2007 Quest because I would never buy them based on their looks and high cost. A test drive in heavy NYC stop and go traffic is just a swing around the block at less than 30 mph, so this is just my impression of the cars as a typical consumer, not an expert. They all handled fine under these very limited conditions.
    I did notice more acceleration power and stiffer steering in Odyssey, but TC LX was Ok too. I'm not a speeder and I don't haul heavy cargo up hills. What I didn't like about the other minivans were the clunky second row seats. I need to push my driver's seat full back and low and also tilt the steering wheel and adjust the pedals away to feel comfortable for long drives or I cramp up. Therefore, the second row seat behind me is useless for any adult passenger for lack of leg room. I would prefer to lower the second row into Stow n Go compartment and let passengers recline in third row seats with limitless legroom. Also, second row seats in other minivans are cumbersome and heavy to fold over and/or remove when I need maximum cargo space Stow N go provides. Some people fuss over the quality and layout of the interior. It's no big difference to me since I have no rowdy family to placate. All these minivans look and operate pretty much the same way and interior finishing details don't override far more important factors to me. The 2007 TC, even with a huge cash discount, was quoted only $2K less than new 2008 TC LX that I really prefer much more in styling. So I will buy a 2008 TC LX, or 2008 DCX SXT if I can bring the dealer down to a lower price than $25K, which is really pushing it on a brand new model, but it's a buyer's market. As for longterm TC reliability that everyone seems to question, my internet research shows that vaunted Japanese and German cars have as many recalls as Chrylser/Dodge over the years, and the Kia warranty is impossible to enforce unless you document all your routine maintenance, even oil changes, with your Kia dealer. Ridiculous! Google Kia complaints and other foreign auto makers to see for yourself. I think Kia and Hyundai will abandon the minivan market as many US auto companies already have. For me, 2008 TC is the right minivan at right price with right lifetime power train warranty. I think it's a keeper. :)
    NICE review. ;)

However, the GC SXT is the clone of the T&C Touring while the GC SE is the clone of the T&C LX. :shades:
  • Remember, I'm comparing minivans that both have Stow N go feature. TC LX needs option pkg 24H to match DCX STX. Thanks for your input.
    I read where the Chrysler has a little softer ride than the Dodge, if that is important to you.

I have a 2005 Dodge GC. I mostly keep the passenger middle row seat stowed for picking up things. More convient loading the side instead of the back. It also gives you much more room for dog and getting kids in and out. Glad they kept stow-n-go on the new models. It was the main reason I bought the van and I use that feature a lot. Used it this weekend loading up a new back door and security door.
  • Although my dealer doesn't have a 2008 DCX STX for me to test drive yet, that may be the model I ultimately buy because it has the better 197 HP engine over the TC LX, yet doesn't cost as much as a TC Touring. Dealer already committed himself to $25K cash price on DCX STX, whereas he wanted $27K cash for the TC Touring. Front grill logo doesn't matter to me. I don't particularly want power sliding doors or seats on the DCX STX, but they come standard. Motorized features usually break down after the basic warranty expires.
This discussion has been closed.