Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Minivans

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    The rear suspension is not fully independent. Honda wins there, period. No argument there. Toyota still uses a torsion beam as well, so both are well behind Honda in this regard.

Actually my ex is a chasis engineer for GM, he's now in Australia working for Holden. If you get him talking, he'll tell you there's plus and minuses for both suspensions, and it's not strictly a cost issue. A Toyota/Chrysler system with coils and torsion beam is preferred if you're towing anything....it tracks truer, provides better control. The Honda's wishbones will give a better overall ride but most people wouldn't notice it unless you live on a rutted road someplace.

The same for pushrods. Many of the [non-permissible content removed] engines show impressive figures on paper but for example Torque is generated much higher in RPM band.

Sure, the 08 Dodge van is an improvement over the very outdated 07 vans (the 2nd row windows didn't even open). But we're not comparing those.

Now there's a "ice cream topping"....2nd row windows tha open!! How many people you see driving around with windows opened anymore? I'd rather stow n go seats, or power rear hatch, or power folding seats, or knee airbags, or back up camera... Things you can get on any DCX van, in any combination, that you can't on any other minivan.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    It's only ice cream topping when the other side has it and you don't. I remember reading all those posts on how everyone loved the GPS on the Honda and made fun of the little screen on the Dodge. Now Dodge not only has a nice GPS screen that is voice activated, but can watch DVD's on it too, when not driving.

As for the rear suspension. I think as long as the ride is smooth and stable, who is going to care what kind of suspension it has? I mean no one seems to care that Chrysler has self leveling shocks on the their vans and Honda doesn't.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I think the below article says it all, and I quoted the final paragraphs. As a driver, I'll take the Odyssey, although all the kids in the back may like a Grand Caravan more.

From the article: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=122398

"One Winner, but It's Close
    Dodge has built its best minivan ever in the new Grand Caravan. It's quick, comfortable, innovative. And with so many versions and so many options it's sure to deliver exactly what so many buyers are looking for. It's clearly...the second-best van on the market.

The Honda Odyssey, however, is still the best of the breed, and the best for breeders. It's quiet, beautifully finished and well equipped. It also handles better than some sedans and is the only minivan that could be considered a driver's car. It's the one Dad can drive without feeling like Mom.

And it's bound to get even better. For 2008 the Odyssey will receive a long list of revisions, including the adoption of Honda's second generation VCM cylinder cutoff system to improve fuel mileage. And the rest of minivandom continues to play catch-up."
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    you can be the best one year and not the next. This year it's Chrysler's turn.

Each of us will have a unique opinion, but I agree with Ward's and still think the Toyota 2GR V6 is the only minivan power mill among the 10 Best. More HP and more MPG.

Nice to see Chrysler is working on MDS and VVT.

dennis: not to dismiss your positive experience but you're comparing a sample of one vs. a sample of over 1000 (their minimum for each model to publish results) for Consumer Reports. I'll go with the 1000+, no offense.

Torsion beams are compact and cheap, those are the 2 primary reasons they are used. These vans tow 3500 lbs, no more than Honda does.

Check out the Toyota 2GR V6's torque curve, you don't think that's flat? Check out the low rpm torque. It's the one on the right.
    The Honda Odyssey, however, is still the best of the breed, and the best for breeders.

LOLOLOL....just noticed "Breeders", there's only certain types of guys who use this term!!!
    To be very, very clear...

Ice Cream Toppings are OPTIONS, folks.

Things you get in the standard, base van are not ice cream toppings.

Things like windows that open in the 2nd row come in the base van. They are not options. All models have them.

I use them any time my kids are saying good bye to friends or family, so basically often.

I don't even understand this last paragraph:

I'd rather stow n go seats, or power rear hatch, or power folding seats, or knee airbags, or back up camera... Things you can get on any DCX van, in any combination, that you can't on any other minivan.

Just about every van out there has a power rear hatch, you say "can't on any other"?! Huh?

Same thing for backup cameras. All the vans I test drove had those.

Can't on any? That doesn't make sense.

Toyota had power folding seats way back in 2004.

You need to get out more often. Have you even looked at a Sienna? :confuse:

Chrysler deserves kudos for the Stow-n-Go, Swivel-n-Go, self-leveling rear suspension, and 6 speed auto.

I'll give them kudos for the knee air bags if and only if their crash tests scores beat the competition, we'll have to wait and see on that one.
    According to Consumer Reports' survey of owners, 79% of Sienna owners would buy the car again compared to 49% of Chrysler Town & Country owners.

hansienna falls in the 21% of Sienna owners that will buy something else next time. He is in the minority, and he's very vocal for whatever reason.

Ask 2 Dodge/Chrysler owners and on average 1 of those 2 will tell you the same thing.

Bottom line is Sienna owners are happier on average.

Hopefully the Dodge numbers will improve substantially with the arrival of the 2008 models.
    Just about every van out there has a power rear hatch, you say "can't on any other"?! Huh?

What I meant is Chrysler offers greater flexibility in adding options, whereas, with a Honda for example, you don't get a power hatch unless you get the top of the line. You can't add it to your LX or EX model. What about a DVD system in a Honda LX? Or you're an elderly couple with limited $$$ and have a hard time opening and closing doors/hatches?

I get out quite often, and looked at and test drove all minivans prior to buying my DCX. Hopefully you comprehend my explanation above now?

When it comes to airbags, test scores by some govt agency isn't the only thing that matters to me in deciding if I need a certain type of protection of not. Knee bags have been proven effective in keeping passengers in place in accidents instead of possibly sliding under the IP during an impact. The more airbags, the better....not topping.
    OK, now I get what you were trying to say. Dodge offers the most flexibility in terms of ordering options for even base models. Gotcha.

Toyota is better than Honda, but the trade-off is Honda's simplicity, i.e. it's very easy to know what you are getting. This actually annoys a lot of people, you need a PhD to understand all the options packages on Toyota/Dodge vans.

I agree that air bags are not just a topping, but one would hope it's effective at actually making the vehicle safer.

The reason I'm skeptical on the knee air bags is that the Kia Sportage got them and still had a lousy performance in crash tests. Hopefully Dodge implemented them better.
    One of the nicest features of the Dodge/Chrysler for the parents, is their new LCD screen, which not only operates voice activated navigation, shows what's behind you when backing up, but you can also watch video on it when parked and it has a 20 gig hard drive to store, play and show pictures and MP3 music files. Add on to that their506 watt surround sound audio system, with sub-woofer and you have your home entertainment system, on wheels. A great option for any vehicle
    It might be useful for us to list what is unique about each of these 3 vans. I'll start, please feel free to add things I forgot to mention.

Dodge has Stow-n-Go, Swivel-n-Go, self-leveling rear suspension, Satellite TV, power folding 3rd row, 6 speed auto, and lifetime powertrain warranty.

Honda has VCM, rear mutli-link suspension and run-flats.

Toyota has power folding 3rd row, AWD, HIDs, run-flats, Direct Injection for the engine, power 3rd row vent windows, 3rd row that can tailgate, 8 seat model, Bluetooth, Laser Cruise Control, tow prep package standard, turn signal in the mirrors, telescoping wheel, auto express button moonroof, auto dimming driver's side mirror, fold flat passenger seat, 2 in glass antennae, 2 115 power outlets, battery saver.

Let me know what I missed. I own a Sienna so that's the one I know best, obviously.

And yes, for those wondering, now you can layer on all the ice cream toppings you want. It's all you can eat. :shades:
    The reason I'm skeptical on the knee air bags is that the Kia Sportage got them and still had a lousy performance in crash tests. Hopefully Dodge implemented them better.

Realize there's more to safety than airbags, probably most important is the driver themself, followed by body structure.
    Check out the Toyota 2GR V6's torque curve, you don't think that's flat? Check out the low rpm torque. It's the one on the right.

But look at the RPMs, 4800???
    Well you missed a heck of a lot on the Dodge/Chrysler. They also have a moon roof, front dash video, sub woofer, halo lighting,pinpoint LED lighting to read, rechargable flashlight, two glove boxes, Two screen DVD's, that can play two different programs or games. Cruise control, adjustable peddles, flex-fuel capability, tire pressure monitoring, industry-first integrated child booster seat, a voice-activated navigation system with real-time traffic, ParkSense® rear back-up system. Automatic one touch folding rear seat, 3rd row that can tailgate, front and middle heated seats. Driver and passenger eight way power seats. Dual- or tri-zone heating and cooling system. Hands-free cellphone system, mesh side pockets on the second-row seats, 110V inverter, two second-row output/input jacks with a 12-volt power outlet and an overhead console with bins large enough to store headphones. New to the industry is streaming video, supplied by Sirius satellites. You can also get a new, removable sliding front console that is large enough to store a purse; remote start;
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    My '03 Silhouette (long discontinued) had self leveling shocks as standard equipment. Olds added it prior to 2003. The van had a small air compressor to pump up the shocks or inflate a football. :) This is not something new.
    If I ever buy a Dodge/Chrysler dealership, you have a job!!!
    It's a heck of a minivan. Not much they forgot to put on them. Chrysler offers a little more than the Dodge. Oh, I forgot, both have a place to store an umbrella
  • Oh! The Sienna's handbook suggests you fill up with premium gas (an option, regular is fine; Odyssey states that you should use regular. Maybe someone could tell everyone what the Chrysler/Dodge use {I don't know}.
    I'll say again, in Canada (where I live) Honda does not have run-flat tires and Dodge/Chrysler does not offer lifetime warranties.

2002 Odyssey EX
    1992 Ford Taurus 100
    1982 Ford E150 Customized Travel Van
    1979 Mercury Zephyr
    1972 Datsun 510
    1967 Plymouth Valiant
    1965 Morris 1100
    1963 Austin Mini
    Oh! The Sienna's handbook suggests you fill up with premium gas (an option, regular is fine; Odyssey states that you should use regular. Maybe someone could tell everyone what the Chrysler/Dodge use {I don't know}.
    I'll say again, in Canada (where I live) Honda does not have run-flat tires and Dodge/Chrysler does not offer lifetime warranties.

THe Dodge/Chrysler both use regular gas. You should be happy Canada does not use run flat tires on the Honda. I have heard many complaints on them. Sorry Chrysler doesn't offer a lifetime warrany in Canada. That's one heck of a deal if you keep the van for four years or more.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I am vocal because I was STUPID enough to believe CR and other "experts" when they wrote that the Sienna (and Odyssey) are superior to the Chrysler minivans and I now drive a minivan that lacks features that were on the "inferior" Chrysler T&C.

I have MANY friends who are repeat Chrysler minivan owners and I know only one who would not buy another Caravan...But he did purchased and now drives a Chrysler PT Cruiser that replaced the Caravan.

BTW, since I am stuck with the Sienna, I am concentrating on the nice features like the most cargo area behind 3rd row seats of any minivan, the selector P-R-N-D-4-3-2-L, and the excellent "stand-alone" Oil/Oil Filter and if desired, Tire rotation facility of the selling Toyota dealership. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.