Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Half-ton Pickups - The full field

Comments

• LMAO!!! Gotta love those redneck hicks. I especially love how they were were wrenching underneath a truck that was being held up only by a hydraulic floor jack under the differential, no jackstands. Real brilliant!!! I guess I just don't "get it" when it comes to that hobby, could be fun though.
  • Ridiculous? Really? Why? Would you like your stockbroker working for the company whose stock he is touting? How about your doctor prescribing you meds you may not need, while he's getting a big fat check from the pharma company? How about your lawyer working both sides of a lawsuit, without telling you? Is that OK too?

OF COURSE we have biases, that's fine, and it's what makes the posts interesting and informative. But when someone is BEING PAID by the company whose product he/she is promoting, that's a whole different ballgame IMO. It's an entirely different dimension. It's so important, in fact, that there are LAWS against it in almost all areas of the economy. It's called "conflict of interest" and it's against the law in most areas of business.

You seem to think it's OK, but it's not OK with me, and I will question anyone's opinion who may who may be motivated by money.

1offroader
  • I know there is no 1/2 ton which compares to the Tundra but do you really believe that it is fair to compare the new Tundra to 3/4 ton trucks?
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    You're not debating the trucks... your problem is with the person giving their opinion. And as I've pointed out many times, that's not what these forums are for. A salesman's opinion is just as valid as anyone else's here.

Again... stop making this personal.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I think you will find Tundra loyalists doing that more than anyone else.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    The desperation doesn't lie on that side of town.

But the sales records do! :shades:

Oh, there is no joy in Detroit. No, there is not.

DrFill
  • Oh, how profound you are Doc,

So, tell me doc, in detail....Why should someone choose a Tundra over a GMT900, please back up your reasons. Maybe this will get this back on topic. Let's talk about the trucks, not Toyota's sales records. I don't care about how many Camry's or Prius's or even about the measly 144K Tundra's sold this year. Pretend I am a customer that just walked into your showroom and am looking at the Tundra (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit just typing that). Tell me why I should buy it. Fair enough?
    I don't think so.

If you want a test drive, or a walkaround, head over to your Toyota dealer! And form an orderly line (no cuts). ;)

I know your game, it's old....and lame. :P

DrFill
  • Afraid of a good, clean debate? Maybe you are wiser than I thought!!! I just wanted to get back on topic and debate the trucks, but I guess you'd rather stick to your profound little riddles.
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    I'm considering a 2008 1/2 ton regular cab 2WD short bed pickup. It's been real tough to find a decent review of this type truck. Most reviews are in the extended or crew cabs with 4WD. I've been to Edmunds, KBB, Intellichoice, MSN, and the manufacturer sites.

Where can I find objective reviews of this truck type?

I've either owned or regularly drove company Ford, GM, and Toyota pickups. No experience with Dodge or Nissan pickups. I won't tow anything or haul heavy loads. I'd like decent MPG, comfort, power, reliability, and resale value.
  • gotoyotagotoyota Posts: 280
    Ridiculous? Really? Why? Would you like your stockbroker working for the company whose stock he is touting? How about your doctor prescribing you meds you may not need, while he's getting a big fat check from the pharma company? How about your lawyer working both sides of a lawsuit, without telling you? Is that OK too?

OF COURSE we have biases, that's fine, and it's what makes the posts interesting and informative. But when someone is BEING PAID by the company whose product he/she is promoting, that's a whole different ballgame IMO. It's an entirely different dimension. It's so important, in fact, that there are LAWS against it in almost all areas of the economy. It's called "conflict of interest" and it's against the law in most areas of business.

You seem to think it's OK, but it's not OK with me, and I will question anyone's opinion who may who may be motivated by money.

Geeeez, dude. You are really taking this seriously.

We're not talking about insider trading here - let's stick with reality. Why should I care if someone sells Toyotas or Fords or whatever? It doesn't put them in any better position than you or I to win a debate about whose truck is best if we are being objective. What is your motivation for saying so many negative things about the Tundra? No one is inferring that you or anyone else stand to profit from your posts.

To take the position that everyone must take some lame oath that they are not a car salesman or in a position to profit from the success of a car company is completely ridiculous and totally disconnected with reality. I really don't care if you own stock in GM or if you sell GM's for a living. In the end, the reality is that the products speak for themselves.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    We've gone back and forth on this several times on different sites so here's the valid summary:

Both trucks are top of the line right now. Each has different characteristics that put it at the top of the list depending on what you want the truck to do.

The GMT900s have a generally larger payload capacity;
    The Tundras has higher towing capacity than all the 5.3L GMs
    The Tundra and the 6.0L GMs have approximately equal towing capability.
    The Tundra has lower EPA ratings than the 5.3L but slightly higher ratings than the 6.0L.
    The Tundra has all the safety equipment standard in all models.
    The GMT900s have all the safety equipment standard only on some models and not available at all on other models. ( ;) Yes Ma'am you did hear that correctly.' )
    The Tundra is the ONLY truck on the market with a 6 spd tranny and a 4.30 rear end. That helps in towing, in acceleration and in fuel economy vs all the other 5 vehicles. The Tundra has both the highest high gear and the lowest low gear.
    The IIHS, the Insurance Industry's testing arm, has given the Tundra its top rating in a frontal crash and top rating overall.
    .........Aside: this is a marketing gaffe on GM's part IIHS Large Pickup rankings
    The GM trucks are well known for their durability just as the Toyatas are know for their quality, dependability and reliability. Each is a good choice in this regard.
    The Turning radius of the Tundra is smaller than all the others on the market making it more manueverable in tight spots.

These generalities apply to all models.
  • alright come on guys this is gettin boring with u guys always arguing. you guys sound like school girls fighting over a boy... come on now..
    You left out the tailgate assist, the bigger doors, the larger interiors (of ALL cabs), and the larger cargo box (biggest in segment). All Toyota advantages. These are just the major advantages.

And this website thinks it's better too. :blush:

DrFill
  • I know your game, it's old....and lame.
    The Tundra's superior
    Until you look at the frame....

And the crash test ratings
    And the lack of OnStar
    And the fugly, cheesy interior
    And the frog-like front end

But other than that...

1offroader
  • 1offroader,

You forgot:

Lack of a locking rear diff.
    NO rainsense wipers
    NO heated washer fluid
    Less warranty
    Fewer config options
    Cheap painted plastic interior dash/panels which are already peeling and rubbing off (based on many complaints).
    6 spd tranny issues.
    Bed Bounce (likely due to wimpy frame design)
    Thinner sheet metal (Dents when leaned against).
    Crappy ext paint. (Complaints on how easy it is scratched and how thin it is are abundant).
    Horrible factory remote start, which does not automatically control heat/AC and requires restarting after entry.

I am sure I missed some things, I'll update as I think of them, there are so many inferiorities, it's hard to remember them all.

Oh, did I mention it's FUGLY!!!???
  • h20h20 Posts: 42
    if your manufacturer did not exist which half ton truck would you purchase? i would purchase a chevy silverado.please be honest boys/gals it could be fun. your friend h20.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    If you have to trash-talk, build your own website and have a good time.

If you can't stay on topic here, just leave.

If you can't follow the rules - http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/memberagreement.html - appropriate action will be taken.

Are we clear on this?

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• Lack of a locking rear diff.
    NO rainsense wipers
    NO heated washer fluid
    Less warranty
    Fewer config options
    Cheap painted plastic interior dash/panels which are already peeling and rubbing off (based on many complaints).
    6 spd tranny issues.
    Bed Bounce (likely due to wimpy frame design)
    Thinner sheet metal (Dents when leaned against).
    Crappy ext paint. (Complaints on how easy it is scratched and how thin it is are abundant).
    Horrible factory remote start, which does not automatically control heat/AC and requires restarting after entry.

I am sure I missed some things, I'll update as I think of them, there are so many inferiorities, it's hard to remember them all.

Oh, did I mention it's FUGLY!!!???

Edit: I knew I forgot some, here is a biggie...

NO Auto4WD transfer case available in Tundra. GM has had this since 1988. And it is simply awesome.
    It's better than talking about box sizes, interior room, safety features, gear ratios, engine power, or comparison tests.

Best to steer consumers away from such minor issues. :blush:

DrFill
This discussion has been closed.