Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler T&C/Dodge Grand Caravan brakes

Comments

• ricschricsch Posts: 540
    We haven't received any notice from Dodge/Chrysler about the premature wear but I will inquire with the dealer. Thank you for the reply.
  • I have a 2010 Touring with the 4.0 V6 that is just over 2 months old and has 2200 miles on it. I completely agree with your analysis that the vehicle coasts well and seems to have little to no "rolling resistance". In fact I commented to my wife not long after we got it that I've never driven a vehicle that coasts/rolls with so little effort and to me that could be what is cause of excessive break wear (which I hope I don't experience!). I have also "re-learned" how to drive with this van since it requires very little gas pedal effort and lots of planning ahead for stop lights/signs for in town driving. I like it, but while I assume this easy rolling would help gas mileage I have yet to reach stated EPA numbers despite a solid mix of city and highway driving. Our van has the 16" wheels with the junk Yoko tires, too...can't wait to get rid of them but don't look forward to the cost.
  • kope49kope49 Posts: 15
    edited November 2010
    My 2008 has 36,000 miles on the "junk Yoko" tires and I am about to trade them on Michelin's even though I could probably get 6 more months.The best quote I found for the Michelin's (Costco) is $698 - OUCH! I fully expect to see an improvement in gas mileage - right now with the 3.8 I am getting 18 in mixed city and highway. My first cold weather fillup this weekend after mostly city driving I only got 14.5.
  • Try the Cooper CS4 I like mine
  • After a year the problem came back. Now I am told to replace proportioning valve. I'll let you know.....
  • stankovicvstankovicv Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    I bought a 2010 Grand Voyager in Australia (same as Town & Country in US). At my 2nd service at 24,000kms/9months I was told I needed to replace pads AND rotors as there are under "minimum thickness" and therefore unroadworthy.

After being told its a wear and tear item and therefore not covered by warranty I jumped on Google only to find this happens on 300Cs as well and its common for all Chryslers built around 2008 onwards. It seems to be common on Nissans too.

Most people know pads shouldn't wear that quickly let alone rotors that really should last over 100,000kms. However, I also can't believe how many accept Chrysler's story that its not covered and simply keep paying to replace them almost every service. Has this world gone mad?

Here in Australia we are protected by Consumer Laws which state products MUST last and work properly for a reasonable time. But instead of taking Chrysler to court (again) I believe this is a safety risk. Somewhere between my first and second service my car became unroadworthy. With many 300Cs it happens between EVERY service. I'm awaiting the Department of Infrastructure's decision on this who are also waiting for Chrysler's reasons with why they shouldn't recall all Chryslers. In the meantime, I had Chrysler call me to have my brake rotors AND pads replaced under warranty :-) Do I detact FEAR in their voice???

Seriously, this could have been managed with good customer service but yet again they chose to treat me like I was unreasonable in my expectations.

Chrysler don't have much of a market share in Australia so you Americans need to be screaming at Top Care. Check the law in the US and see if you have any vehicle safety standards. Chrysler make a good car but they'll shoot themselves in the foot if they don't pay attention to the quality of their parts. Go teach them a lesson in Customer Care!!!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• mcg7mcg7 Posts: 5
    yes.we have a 2009 grand caravan and have had nohing but problems with the brakes among other things.we have had pads/rotors replaced 3 times.ridiculous. we need to file class action lawsuit.this is not normal.safety issue!!!!
    edited May 2012
    you are an idiot!!!!so only the rich need get a van???? sounds like someone who has always had everything handed to them. some people actually have been affected by the recession you damn idiot!!!
  • moparnikmoparnik Posts: 1
    Yeah, I have. We just bought a 2010 Touring (4.0 Liter) with ~23k miles on it as a dealer certified pre-owned. I've had it for a month and the brakes make a serious grinding feel when braking hard like when expressway traffic suddenly slows in front of you. I took it in today and they said I had 65% of the pads left but would be replacing the pads and rotors due to a "service bulletin". I have a bad feeling about this and after reading all the other reports (not just on Edmunds) about the T&C brakes.

Like you I noticed a great deal of brake dust on the rear alloys which is pretty unusual since the fronts are always dirtier than the rear on almost any car--as you would expect. By the way, as my handle suggests I've been a lifelong Mopar guy and even though this is my third Dodge/Chrysler minivan, I keep looking at other brands so this may be my last.
  • We just bought a 2012 Chrysler T&C on May 27th. I noticed about a week after buying it, that I feel a light vibration when coming to a stop. What happens is if I brake very lightly, then lift my foot gently up off the brakes a bit, I feel a shuddering towards the back. It seems to be getting worse, and I have been very easy on the brakes and driving, in general. What could be wrong? The van is less than a month old, with only around 700 miles on it. When we first got it, my husband noticed a defect in the black trim surrounding the driver's side window. It was wrinkled up pretty bad, so he had to bring it in and have that replaced, which the dealer called it a factory defect. Now I'm having to take it back again soon, because the rear hatch safety device is broken. It keeps closing down even if something is in the way. And with the rear brakes shuddering, on top of all this, I'm really regretting purchasing this minivan. When you buy brand new, you never expect to see problems this soon. Now I'm reading about faulty brakes on the new T&C's. Anyone else have vibrating rear brakes? What was the problem, and solution? I really hope this does not pose a recurring problem, but I'm reading so much about wheel bearings overheating on this make and model. Please share your insight, stories, and advice. Thanks!
  • I put Michelins on my 2009 T&C 3.8. I don't think you are going to get more than 18mpg overall. I get around 16 in town and 23 max on interstate driving.
    But what about the brakes, my wife thinks we need the 4th brake job in 80k miles!! Is there a hidden warranty on this problem from Chrysler that anyone has found?
    PCA
    It is still early to judge, but so far so good with our aftermarket set.

As posted above, here is my original post on the subject.

there is no special warranty on the brakes. they are wear and tear item and i'd say you are lucky that in 80k miles you've only had 4 brake jobs. we have to replace them every 5-7k miles. buyer beware. if you feel there is serious problem do some research and call the manufacturer for help. don't give up. i now understand why people buy foreign cars.they are made here in u.s. and their service is much better.
    never say never. you may certainly have recourse against chrysler or any other car maker if there is serious [problem with safety of vehicle. do some research and call the right people for help.
  • We bought our car in December 2011....within days we had trouble with the brakes....AWESOME! They replaced the front rooters, some caliber piece and the front pads....now my car acting up...took the car in and sure enough, front brakes and rooters! Thank God covered under warranty! But seriously, we just but this 2008 a few months ago....is this going to keep happening?!
  • chaswbchaswb Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2011 T & C last June and have had no brake problems at all. They are better than the brakes on my 2009 Grand Caravan. Granted I only have 6500 miles on the car, mostly Houston area driving (plenty of stopping), but so far so good. I'll re-post if I have any problems in the future.
  • jwreichjwreich Posts: 8
    I just purchased a used 2009 T&C with 32k miles. The previous owner had all the service records from the same dealer. I found the original letter that was sent out but wanted to know from those who have had so many services performed, why do you keep Chrysler parts for something labeled a wear item with no warranty?

After market can get you vented rotors with ceramic pads. This would only cost $275 in parts and an afternoon to install. I would think the problems would go away after that. Seems the dealership charges $540+ for this service and requires it every 7-12k miles.

Just asking as I don't see a need to stay with something that won't work. If it is the ABS system reports should e filed with safercar.gov

Anyone used aftermarket care to share the brand they've chosen?
    edited August 2012
    see my post about 4 above yours.