Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Rondo suggested improvements

2»

Comments

• When I lived in Quebec I had studded tires on my 67 Plymouth Valiant. Now I live in Ontario (since 1979) where studded tires are not allowed. I think you can still use studded tires in Quebec and Northern Territories; just from Oct 15 to Apr 15.
  • I totally agree that an inside button to "pop" the back hatch is really needed, and that the location of the rear cup holders on the console are too low for most people. I'd also like to see some more padding on the the (optional) third row; and better fabric on the seats that are more stain resistant. I'd also like to see another vent or two in the back - maybe on the ceiling blowing down? It seems too easy to block the vent on the center console, and nothing reaches the optional third row as it's now set up. And much better mpg ... we got 18 mpg city this winter, and on a recent highway trip got 25.5 mpg ...
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    1. add cargo area light, or at least turn on the rear dome light when the hatch is opened.

2. make privacy glass standard or include the cargo area cover.

3. add programmable automatic arm (security alarm) after ignition off and all doors closed, and programmable door locking when shifter is in "D".

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    1. My wife's has switch that you can set accordingly.
    2. Cargo cover yes. Ban all privacy glass because it is a safety hazard.
    3. There is some programming available, but not sure what options are there. The first part is bad idea. Too many would lock keys inside, especially women leaving purse and keys inside. With manual locking, you might be forced to think about key before proceeding. If using remote from outside, not a problem. Maybe when external fingerprint keypad is available.
    Personally, I would like the option of the door relocking automatically upon entry (detects weight on seat). And not automatically unlocking when put in park. Trouble can come via opportunity.
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    new 6 speed tranny.

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    From description and cure, it sounds like you are dealing with residual heat built up in the system while parked, and/or air being heated by the external area that got hot in the sun as well.
    If it gets warmer as you drive and coolant heats up, then you have a leaking or not fully closing diverter door allowing air across the heater core to enter. Older high end vehicles had a valve in the heater hose that stopped the heating of the core totally. I had one vehicle without that valve, no A/C, and the door leaked some of that hot air most of the time. I had considered installing a valve of some sort just to stop heating the heater core.
    Good luck.
  • tsm280ztsm280z Posts: 29
    Anything that would improve gas mileage!
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    TSM280Z,
    Is your Rondo experiencing poor fuel economy? Our prior 2007 EX V6 regularly saw 33 mpg Imperial (about 30 mpg US) on the highway at 110 km/hr (65-70 mph) with four people and luggage, and about 24-25 around town. We now have a 2011 EX V6 and so far it seems to be achieving the same numbers, though it only has about 1500 miles on it so far. Actually, on my first highway trip when the Rondo was brand new (ie. less than 100 miles on the odo), I was by myself and saw as high as 36 mpg at 60 mph. That trip added 400 miles to the car.
    BGW,
    Never got what I would call good fuel economy. At least not what the Rondo was advertised as getting. I have a 2007 EX V6. Right from the beginning I was getting in the mid teens city & upper teens/low 20's hwy.
    I'm not a hyper-miler but I try to take it easy. I put in a K&N air filter, synthetic oil, etc., etc. It wasn't until about 9,000 miles that I saw an improvement. Now get upper teens city & mid twenties hwy. Most of my driving is city. I guess the car's computer adapts to one's particular driving habits.
    Been on this post for a few years now and noticed other owners situations vary widely. :cry:
  • bgwbgw Posts: 116
    TSM280Z,

I always found that our trip computer was optimistic. I kept my own log that I calculated myself, and the computer was usually off by .2 to .3 litres/100km (not much really, maybe 1/2 mpg?).
    Our 2007 V6 was never hyper-miled, and 33 mpg Imperial was a number that we repeatedly obtained on the highway. If had I slowed to the speed limit, then I would likely have gotten more. As for around town, I admit that we live in a small town (10,000) so it can't really be considered urban.
    I never changed the air filter (only had to clean it once) and used normal engine oil. I did keep all tires 2 psi above the door jamb rating, since I find that all my cars respond better to steering input that way. 2psi isn't much, not enough to firm up the ride to an uncomfortable level.
    I wonder if you had the CPU reflashed, if that would affect your low mpg's? It did wonders for my 2002 PT Cruiser, which had a number of driveability problems until the CPU was reflashed (cost me about $60) at the dealer. It certainly increased the car's fuel economy.
    Thanks BGW. I'll see if the cpu "reflashing" makes a difference.
2»