Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Maintenance and Repair

johns8johns8 Posts: 1
I use regular oil not synthectic. Do I still go by the computer to change oil? 2006 cts.

Comments

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    the GMOL indicator was designed to work with the factory installed oil......did it come with dino or synth?...you can actually use the GMOL to monitor your oil change intervals....just dont exceed intervals shown in your owners manual....I use full synth in my 04 Malibu Maxx LT..watch the GMOL..and change at 7500 miles of %25 remaining on the GMOL..whichever I reach first......91K on my Maxx and no problems at all
  • Stupid question I know.

I have a 2004 CTS 3.6L V6 when I check the oil level I get a low reading below the 3 bubbles on the stick. I have no blue smoke to indicate I’m burning oil. And no oil leaks that I can see. Anyone else have this problem when checking their oil? Even after adding oil it's still below the 3 bubbles. Something else I should check?

Is there a low oil level sensor on the 2004?

Thanks in advance
  • puckspucks Posts: 47
    I'm pretty sure the 3.6L VVT on the CTS is synthetic only.
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    Anybody ever had a mild shudder develop under light throttle, in 4th gear (automatic) at about 1600 rpm and about 42mph? It only does it in this narrow range. Our 2005 CTS with the 3.6L V6 has started to do this pretty consistently. It has 24,000 miles. Possibly the rear axle issue? Never had any problems with the car in 2-1/2 years.
  • Is the 95 STS antenna mast available without changing the whole unit?
  • Took my 2004 Cadillac cts to the dealer today.

To make a long story short..

The Cadillac dealer service department told me today. The oil life monitor is a bad tool to use when deciding oil changing intervals. I had my oil changed 5000 miles ago. Oil life monitor indicated oil life 69%. I figured I could go at lest another 3500 miles before the next oil change. Not according to the dealer service advisor and an technician they advised me 3500miles regardless, the oil life monitor goes by the engines rpm and temperature and is only ruff yes I quote a ruff guide. I asked what the hell the oil life monitor is doing on GM vehicles and why GM is telling me different story. They had no answer, I said Amazing and left!

My question

Any of you on this forum been told this about the olm? I contacted GM, They stand behind the olm and suggested I continue to use the olm to service the vehicle. Yes I used the recommended Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic. And I will not return to this dealership again. Thank you in advanced.
    I think your dealership is simply trying to get more $$ from you by bringing it back in more often than required......The OLM is standard in most GM cars today....look at the owners manual.....it doesnt give you a standard oil change interval any more...but references the OLM system....I use mine as my oil change interval..usually taking it down to 25%....using Mobil 1...in my 04 Malibu and 06 Solstice..getting about 7500 miles between changes.......3K changes are a personal choice...but a waste IMHO.....

I would go to another dealership.....
  • PAO.

I agree 100% I thought the same thing.
  • HELP!!!
    About two weeks ago my CTS started making this knocking noise when I would turn it on, after a few seconds it would go away. Then last week when my husband was driving it the knocking noise turned into a rattle (metal on metal) noise, while we were stopped and moving- the faster we were going the faster the rattle. We did not make it more than a mile until the check engine light came on and we parked it and had it towed to the cadillac dealer. The oil had just been changed a week prior to the noise starting (synthetic), and another oil change had been performed about 3 months after buying it. The car is used with 30k on it when bought and now, 10 months later 43k. The dealership wants proof of two oil changes since bought which we gave them, and $4600 to tear apart/ put back together the engine to see if it is a manufactory defect or poor maintence. If it turns out to be a engine defect then the warranty will come into play, if not we are SOL. The service department is telling me they have never seen this before and that these engines run perfect with the correct maintence. They cannot tell me what is exactly wrong with the car but are pointing the finger at me and saying that there was not enough oil to lubricate the engine and in turn my engine blew. They are telling me there is metal in the oil, and that it is sludge. You should also know the oil indicator was taken out when a after market nav was put into the car, but they say that it should only have needed two oil changes since being bought. I am curious to know if anyone else has been in this situation or thinks that it is a manufactory defect or not. I am having a hard time risking $4600....
    did you buy the car from this dealer.....was it a certified model?.....if you provided the oil change documentation.....they should do the work to determine what the problem is..since they intially suspected lack of oil.....

taking out the GMOL with the installation of an aftermarket nav system shouldnt have anything to do with the dealerships claim since you provided evidence of routine maintenance...of course you dont know what the maintenance record was before you bought it.........metal and sludge in the oil..find that hard to beleive with only 43K on the car......

if you could have it taken to another dealer I would......this one sounds like they dont know what they are doing..or are looking for a quick $$
  • No, I did not buy the car from this dealer.....yes, it is a certified model. I completely agree with you, I find it very crazy that they want money to investigate a problem that they already suspect and that I have proven has been maintence. I called the GM to see if I could get the car moved to another location, but I would have to pay out of pocket the towing fees, because it is already at a location that can fix the car. I think I am going to have a family mechanic go and look at the car and test the oil and tell me the status and see if I should risk the $4600 and have them tear apart the engine.

Thank you very much for your comments, they really helped.
    so why not take it back to the dealer you bought it from in the first place..I can only assume it was another cadillac dealer in order to classify it as a certified used car.... the other issue you may have is the dealership may not let "your" mechanic look at the vehicle as long as it is at their work site......I would pay the $$ and have it towed to the dealer you bought it from and save the hassle with this dealer...

if it is certified and still has a warranty...this dealership is obviously jerking you around for no reason...looking for the $$
  • I have a 2006 Cadillac CTS and when I press the accelerator, there is a crunching noise that sounds almost like chains are being rubbed together. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the steering wheel area, but I have taken my car into the dealership twice and they can't find the problem. Also, when I come to a complete stop, my car will then bounce forward and back as though the car overall is really loose, along with making the chainlike noises. Last, when I am making a turn and have to slow down, there is a really loud sound that's similar to a "woop woop woop" noise. I don't know much about cars, but it sounds like it could be coming from the rear axle? Can anyone help?
  • Our 3.2 L 2004 Cts standard shift 5 speed cuts out around 4000 rpms. As it approaches the higher revs you can feel the hesitation begin and then at around 4000 it really looses it pick up. I was told by one dealer in Minnesota that it has a governor on it that holds the revs down. It doesn't seem like this would be true since you can feel the hesitation earlier. Is this a problem that has any real shop references and can it be fixed?
    Thanks
  • My dealer tells me to go no more than 6 months before oil changes regardless what the oil life monitor says. I am told synthetic oil doesn't need to be changed as often as conventional oil, I'm thinking you can probably go between 6000 and 10000 miles, depending on the kind of driving you do.
  • I think you're SOL. If you let this aftermarket person disable the OLM, you should have reverted to the 3/3000 rule for oil changes. I bet you won't make that mistake again.
  • irv65irv65 Posts: 2
    My Mother has a 02-03? CTS and when you turn the key over all you get is a small clicking sound....no starter clicking, dimming lights or anything. All of the electical seems to still work. I just want to save my Mom some cash and time if it is something I could take care of myself...any help would be great.
  • 2003 CTS 110,000 miles told by dealer leaking oil cooler that will cost @ $ 900 to repair. Will it ruin my engine if I ignore
  • I own a 2004 CTS, I get oil changes every 5k miles. The car seemed to have burned up oil like it was mad. You can start to notice the change in performance, the card gets loud when you accelerate etc. Anyways I have monitored the oil and tend to put oil in between changes.

My mom owns a 2006, My sister owns a 2005, I have a friend that owns a STS 2005. They all have the same problem with oil all of the cars consume oil like mad.

I often thought about the people that do not pay attention to items like this and then ruin the engine. How many CTS/STS are in the used market with major problems.

Well today I got another oil changed and I just got a call that my Oil filter connecter/widget or something is bad. Its "warped" and my car is leaking oil. They informed me its going to cost an additional $400 to get fixed.

Isn't that something, I suspect that its a faulty design and the car should be recalled. But go figure that will cost GM and the dealer money.
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    My 2007 SRX went 12000 miles without using any oil (at least not enought to add any). The question is why did the oil filter connection widget get warped. Did this happen when the service guy was removing the oil filter at some point in the past?
  • not sure, it seemed to start after the second oil change. My thoughts are the filter has a tight design, and its prone to some idiot screwing something up. This is the first for me, I never heard of a bad oil filter seal that originates on the engine/widget connection.

I thought it best to share on this thread what I have experienced and encountered. By far I'm happy with the CTS, and I hate to see any owner not be aware of this oil problem.
  • ewl88ewl88 njPosts: 74
    I am looking to replace my leased 2006 Infiniti M35X when my lease is up. I am strongly considering the 2008 CTS DI AWD version. There is no published data on reliability yet. Has anyone heard any rumblings about reliability problems about the CTS? I don't see any postings on reliability on this forum which seems like good news. This will be my primary and sole car so I need something reliable. Thanks.
  • I have a 2003 CTS and it is doing the same thing. Did you ever find out what was wrong?
  • hosa24hosa24 Posts: 3
    For me it was my battery, I did not drive it during the hard snow we got in columbus, so it sat in my driveway for about 3 weeks.

I recharged the battery, and everything worked. It was something I did not expect. Because the radio worked really well and the windows. etc. It just did not have enough "juice" to crank the starter. It actually made a noise like something was grinding etc. So was pretty worried. But its been running ever since no problems.
  • Well, we checked the battery and that isn't the problem. It acts like it is going to start and the started actually keeps on going but it won't start. After about 15 mintues it eventually does but it happens all over again once you turn it off. I don't know what the deal is......Thanks though for the quick response!
  • calicagocalicago Posts: 53
    You have proof of the oil change since you bought it inturn check with the people that you bought it from that they have change the oil before you purchase it if thats the case get documataion from them stating that it sone to me they want to rip you off and that 4600 should not be chrage to you from the get go untill they found the problem contact your states attorney office and get an attorney beleave it or not you do not suppose to pay untill the full procedures have been pefromed that means following the guide lines that have been set not by they dealership or cadillac but by G.M
  • cadi03cadi03 Posts: 1
    Hey there! I have a 2003 Cadillac CTS and I've been having a similar problem, my car doesn't want to start I don't know if it's the starter or what theres a clicking noise when I try to start it everything turns on light, radio etc. Did you ever find help? I've been having problem after problem with my car recently I couldnt pull the key out of the car I had to have my car towed and worked on they had a hard time with it I spent over 1,200 on just that a week later this happens >:! I've about had it! If anyone can help please HELP ME!!! Any good auto repair shops out there???
  • pacinipacini Posts: 1
    Had same issue. Found out that I had a dead cell in the battery. Relaced battery and all is well since then.
  • I have to defend the dealer here. Just because the oil can 'last' 5,000 miles or
    more is not a reason not to change it earlier!! The other reason to change the
    oil is due to the engine's natural break-down - and particals will fall into the oil well
    before the oil breaks down. Many believe in changing oil no more than every 3,000
    miles - no matter what kind of oil is used. So don't be so fast in suspecting foul
    play from your dealer.