Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2007 CTS. I had the rear pinion seal replaced and the fluid changed. After a few months, the grinding began. They changed the fluid again, this time adding a conditioner. The dealer said that if that didn't fix it, they would replace the differential. It's been about 18 months and the grinding is back, mostly during sharp parking lot maneuvers. I plan on having them put a new rear in this thing after the holidays. Amazing, a torque converter and now a new differential. At 28K miles. And I don't drive it hard. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,237
    The differential issue on this car is a well-documented somewhat common problem. One hopes they've redesigned it such that the replacement will solve it. Haven't heard of it lately on the newer CTSs.
  • junetjunet Posts: 6
    This is EXACTLY what my car is doing. 2007 28,000 miles CTS. I am going back now for the third time! 1st. was recall 2nd. noise. 3rd. itssss backkkk !!! Its very inconvenient for me, the dealer is 50 miles away and they don't work on weekends...
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    the differential is a WELL documented issued on the CTS as well as the Pontiac Solstice...as the share the same differential.......if the auto is equipped with Limited Slip Diff...when the fluid is changed..it must included an additive specifically for the diff along with the basic fluid......if the dealer doesnt add the fluid.....it will not fix and in fact cause more problems...

if you are experiencing that grinding sound at low speed while making a sharp turn...try figure 8s in the parking lot.....its the clutch packs grinding.....and the dif needs to be replaced at this point....first TSB is replace the seal and fluid.....second is drain fluid and replace as needed....and third is replace the dif.....

09 CTS owner here with no problems...as well as 06 Solstice owner...three trips for the dif for warranty repair....on the 3rd trip the dif was replaced with an 08 MY version...and fixed the problem.....
  • robh3robh3 Posts: 157
    Thank you for all of this information.
  • I have a 2005 CTS V . I had the same problem, I took it to a dealership, they had to replace the clamp on the lower radiator hose. I had a spring clamp, they replaced it with a screw style that you manually tighten and that fixed the problem. My mother in law has an 2004 cadi and just had the same issue-they told her she needed new water pump-replaced it same problem still exists. I'd try the clamp much cheaper than pater pump or radiator repair. I think my mother in law needs clamp replaced. The leaky waterpump historically is a problem with corvettes I know, and the V has a corvette Z06 engine in it -.
  • driving a 2005 CTS V about to buy new tires, wondering what others have found to be the best- balancing between ride and longavity???
    Any input would be appreciated.
  • K9WillK9Will Posts: 26
    yes i have the same problem with my 2004 3.6 auto trans if i figure it out i will let you know
    my 04 trans slips when you first put it in foward gear after sitting for awhile, but after it warms up a little it pulls perfect & shifts perfect until you park it for a night in cold temps. it will most likely do it again. has anyone had this problem thanks
  • junetjunet Posts: 6
    Well, They did the exact same thing again this time. Change the fluid and the noise went away. The manager said this may have to be changed a few times for it to stop doing this. I don't believe that story!!! It's been a month and I have not heard it come back yet but I am waiting for it because I think it will. Sure is a pain in the neck to have to drive 50 miles.
    June
  • timd106timd106 Posts: 3
    well, i have a 2.8L v6 cts and I gotta say, the 0-40 mph jump seems to take forever! It just doesnt have a good "get up and go" feel to it, but once i am rolling and i press it, it runs smoothly. Though i cant see or feel what your car is doing, i cant say for sure it is normal. If it isnt doing anything out of the ordinary or acting strange id say it is prolly just your 4,000lb car operating on a 215HP engine.
  • nwraaanwraaa Posts: 159
    Does it cost $560.00 to replace a headlight for a 2008 Cadillac CTS? I took my CTS to the dealer because a bulb in the headlight was out. To replace just the bulb, I was quoted $217.00. When they got into the job, they could not install the new bulb because the bulb socket in the headlight assembly over heated and warped. Then came the $560.00 news about the cost to replace the headlight assembly. Have you other CTS owners experienced this?
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    Was it a HID light bulb? If so, you're gettin' away cheap. Toy dealers want close to $800, & reports are they burn out after a year.
    A 2008 CTS...isn't the car under full factory warranty? Seems to me that exterior lights are easily a warranty item. Period.

I am not sure why they are quoting you a charge at all.
    The miles on the car exceed the warranty limits. This CTS is my first revisit to Cadillac in some time. I left as a buyer when they were going through the diesel, Cimarron, HT4100 engine, and front wheel drive change over era. The Cadillacs that I owned prior to this were good cars. The big front wheel drive Caddys, to me, never handled well. I got rid of my last Caddy because a rod bearing failed in a HT4100 engine. I have not been happy wtih this CTS. Oil consumption is excessive, it was recalled which required removal of the intake manifold and other minor hundred dollar issues have been happening with it. But this headlight deal, I thought, was aggregious.
    Yes, that is a lot of money for a headlight, no doubt. However, as another person who replied to your post indicated, the eggregious prices for headlight fixtures are not just a Cadillac brand issue.

Cars are ridiculously expensive to maintain these days. And who can we trust? I mean, look at the problems Toyota is having...and I knew before this whole gas pedal issue came to light that Toyota was bad about covering up problems with their cars, such as the problem a couple of years ago with oil turning to sludge in Camrys. I lot of customers had problems with that and Toyota denied it was a systemic problem...just like the unintended acceleration issue.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    well if they replaced the entire headlamp assembly...and you have non HID....then the assembly alone runs from 200-250 for the part, depending on the source...if that is a HID bulb, it runs aprox $155 at several online GM parts sites....the entire HID headlamp assembly runs 700-800 depending on the source of parts.....so your prices with labor are within a reasonable realm it appears....
    I have owned a number of cars, as many of you have, mostly luxury. I've just never paid anywhere near that much money for a headlight bulb or headlight assembly. Although I believe it would have been somewhat of a challenge to get the bulb out of this car (it is a little more involved then removing a battery or disconnecting the breather assembly) I will have to take the time and effort to change it myself the next time.
  • stray1189stray1189 Posts: 1
    Anyone figure this out yet?? I ALSO have a 2004 V 3.2 CTS and I am just about dipstick dry every time I go to change the oill (3000-3500 miles).
    I don't notice any smoke anywhere and can't detect any leaks. If I add it it would probably be fine, but you shouldn't have to add that much oil to the car between each oil change......something is wrong!
    yes there is something wrong, others have had same problem look on cts forums here and you will see, my advice to you is make sure the oil is always full that my mean ckecking it every 1000 miles but if you don't you will be replacing a motor but as long as it stay mostly full you motor could last a long time, the damage is done it will be a high dollar repair anyway so try and milk it as long as you can HOPE this helps, also i do not why these motor use oil but a bet a nice GM tech does WHERE all waiting for the answer