Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Transmission Problems

12345679»

Comments

• Well the final answer from Vehicle One warranty was no, 4k past warranty is past warranty even though you complained about tranny under warranty. GM stepped up and offered me 3K in "customer cash" to cover part of the repair IF I bought a new GM vehicle in stock at the dealer.

Solution, I traded it in on an Acura MDX with tow package with add on 120,000 $0 deductible warranty.

Bummer, I loved my truck but it was a money pit!
  • I've read every post in this thread because I just purchased a 2001 Yukon XL 1500 4WD with 235,000 miles. Previous owner just sunk $1300.00 in the transmission at an independent shop (1 yr, 12,000 mile warranty already expired), plus another $650.00 having the transfer case rebuilt. Looking at old paperwork, looks like the xfer case may have been rebuilt at least 3 times over the years. So I am going to be keeping an eye on that and changing the special synthetic fluid on a regular basis.

However, concerning the transmission, the problems with the 4L60E are very well known. One common problem is a check ball that sticks in the separator plate in the valve body causing issues with the 2-4 band that makes it slip and burn up. Other issues in the valve body (and sometimes the sun shell) cause problems with the 3-4 clutch pack too.

Most or all of these problems can be fixed with a Transgo shift kit. It is made to solve exactly these problems. It will NOT fix burned up clutch packs or bands, but if installed while still operating reasonably well, the transmission will probably last 150,000 miles or more. I will be installing this kit ASAP (2-3 hours install time plus some tranny fluid and a filter) and won't worry about it again. If you are reading this thread and wondering what to do, I highly recommend you install the Transgo kit, it is the best way to ensure the longest life of your 4L60E (basically an electronic version of the 700R4).

Full disclosure: I worked for Transgo in the early 80's, but haven't had any contact with them for more than 15 years.

Steve
  • Hello all
    I have a 2004 Yukon XL 113k tranny is shifting high when going into second gear also i see trans fluid in my driveway. Any ideas what that may be don't want to play the rebuild game if possible?

Thanks

James
  • 2mills22mills2 Posts: 1

My 2007 Yukon just had a total transmission failure with no warning. This is a vehicle that was maintained at the dealer for everything and in fact the transmission had been serviced recently. It has only 88,000 miles and has never been a tow vehicle. The dealer mechanic told me this is "to be expected" on this vehicle/model and that GM would not give me any help on paying for it. I am very disappointed since I come from a family that has only purchased GM products for my entire life. I will think twice now before purchasing a GM product.

• daymeandaymean Posts: 1

My 2001 Yukon out of nowhere I stoped then took off my rpms would excelerate but it wouldn't pick up speed then I put in reverse it didn't work I turned it off for a few the turned back on reversed worked but when it warmed up it did it again dose anyone have a idea what to do