Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler/Plymouth Voyager-Dodge Caravan Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• I've been reading the posts on this forum with interest! We just purchased an '06 Grand Caravan at the beginning of January, with 23,000 kms on it (approx 14,000 mi), and have found that we are only getting 10 mpg with city driving!!! We traded in our 2000 Chev Venture for the Dodge, and the increase in fuel consumption has blindsided us. Our Chev got 18 mpg in the city and around 25-28 mpg on the highway. We haven't had the Dodge on a roadtrip yet, so have no idea what the highway consumption is - but, as I type this, the Dodge is at our mechanic (who we bought the van off of) and he is running diagnostics on it today to see if he can figure out why our fuel consumption is so poor. From what I've read, it sounds like there is a good chance that he won't find anything - but, should I suggest that he check/replace the oxygen sensor, even though the light isn't on? or will his diagnostics pick it up if it is "weak"?

Love the van, but going from $50 in gas a week to $70+ is going to break the bank!! :(
  • xpatchxpatch Posts: 1
    This is my 1st post.
    Next week, I am getting an '06 Dodge Caravan SXT to use for courier work. It has 50,000 miles on it. Carfax shows regular maintenance was performed. Are there any tricks I can do to improve gas mileage? I mean, is there a chip or any aftermarket device?
    What other mods can I do to improve the performance?
    Thx,
    Todd
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    For mileage and performance mods, you'll find none, zip, zero, zilch, nada when it comes to mods that will net you any benefits at all.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dinsledinsle Posts: 3
    Howdy,

We just bought an 08 caravan and we're wondering about the city mileage. We're only getting around 13.5-14.0 mpg. The van has less than 2500 miles on it, but it's been consistantly around that. Is that to be expected? We would have seriously reconsidered it if we knew that was going to be the mpg.

Any thoughts or tips on improving the mpg?

Thanks in advance.
  • I am new to this forum and just read your post on MPG improvements
    My previous van was a 93 with a 3.3 and the mileage computer
    When my muffler went I replaced it with a Dynomax super turbo and my mileage at a steady highway speed increased in the range of about .5 mpg. I know that this is very un-scientific but I am planning to do the same to the 03 that I currently have which now gets just under 24mpg highway.
    mcondon
    What you're suggesting is that your old muffler had a rather significant blockage; there simply is no other way for a new muffler (Dynomax or otherwise) to have much of a measurable impact on highway mileage.

Think about it, when you're tooling town the highway your engine is operating at something like fifteen to twenty percent of its rated output, and that means that the demands on the induction and exhaust systems of your vehicle is extremely low. Personally I'll bet that the pressure difference inside a good condition OEM muffler and that of the Dynomax when at highway cruising speeds is virtually non-existent, and that means that the difference In fuel economy will be virtually zero as well.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • You have a good point there but the muffler I replaced was the OEM stainless muffler at 150,000 miles and the only problem was a small hole in the end cap. I also tried to use a complete 2 1/2" tailpipe without the resonator which seemed to get even better mileage but the noise echoed so badly inside the van that I quickly put the resonator back on and never tried to get an acurate mpg reading.
    Also, although the motor is only putting out fifteen to twenty percent of it's rated output it was still turning 2000 to 2500 rpm at highway speeds which seems to me to be putting out a significant volume of exhaust.

Am enjoying the conversation

mcondon
    Also, although the motor is only putting out fifteen to twenty percent of it's rated output it was still turning 2000 to 2500 rpm at highway speeds which seems to me to be putting out a significant volume of exhaust.

Actually, the RPMs of the engine have very little to do with the amount of exhaust. In fact, if you're descending a hill and have the throttle closed, the engine will shut off the fuel injectors and there will be virtually zero exhaust coming through the exhaust pipe, regardless of the engine RPMs.

What does determine the amount of exhaust is the throttle setting, and that's a pretty linear equation. If you're running at about 20% throttle, then your engine will be producing about 20% of its max rated amount or exhaust regardless of engine RPM.

Best regards,
    Shipo
2»
This discussion has been closed.