Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Water Leaks

Comments

• jlr6jlr6 Posts: 2
    Well, found it. When they replaced the fender they did not re-insert the drain tube from the a/c system so it was hanging inside the trunk. :D
  • Problem Solved.

Had replaced the windshield several months ago. Seal at top of windshield leaked - possibly due to rapidly cooling the windshield with air conditioned air when starting up on a very hot day.

Resealed the windshield, and the leak is now gone.

:)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Glad to hear both of you sorted those issues out. :shades:
  • 12051205 Posts: 6
    Over the past few weeks I have noticed the rear storage area carpet in my '04 Sienna is wet in areas and there is a small amount of mold now growing in a couple areas. For the life of me I cannot figure out what is leaking. Rear door? Window seals? Have water tested and found nothing so far.
    Anyone else had this problem? Suggestions?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Do you have a moonroof?

Also, make sure the drains under the door jambs are clear, so water can drain out from your rocker panels. I think the holes are near the jacking points.
  • 12051205 Posts: 6
    Yes, we have a moon roof but have never noticed a problem with it. The carpet at the liftgate area is the only dampness we have ever noticed in the van which has basically been a great van but I could live without the mold!!!
  • MY 2002 TOYOYA SIENNA HAS A BAD WATER LEAK,AFTER A COUPLE WEEKS OF WINTER RAIN STORMS,THE FRONT CARPETS ARE SOAKED BELOW THE FLOOR MATS,THE CAR HAS NO SUNROOF,AND IT ONLY LEAKS OR SHOWS SIGNS OF THIS WHEN PARKED FLAT IN MY DRIVEWAY.AFTER CHECKING,WATER TESTING,REMOVING KICK PANELS I DON'T SEE ANY WATER DRIPPING FROM UNDER DASH AREA'S ON EITHER FRONT SIDE OF CAR.THIS SHOWS AFTER HEAVY/DRIVING RAINS.AFTER SEEING HOW SOAKED IT WAS THIS PAST WEEKEND,I PULLED UP THE FRONT CARPETS AND FRONT SEATS TO SEE ITS SOAKED INTO REAR OF VAN,SO NOW I'M
    WONDERING IF LEAK ISNT FROM FRONT UNDER DASH,BUT FROM REAR AND ROLLING FORWARD TO FRONT.THE DEALER DIDN'T SEEM TO KNOW
    ABOUT THIS,OR HEARD OF REAR A/C VENT CAUSING THIS,OR FRESH AIR DUCT.WHERE ARE THESE LOCATED?I CHECKED REAR A/C DRAIN AND ITS OK.NO WATER IN R/R QUARTER PANEL WHERE THIS LOCATED.
    THIS IS A MESS.WELL I'M REMOVING SEATS/CARPETS TO LEAK TEST FURTHER.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS?WHERE/WHAT WAS IS?
    NOW THAT THE WINTERS HEAR,SEND HELP.
    THANKS
    JOEE78
  • I have '04 Sienna LE. We were very happy with the vehicle till 6 months ago. When we first saw water inside the storage area, we thought we spilled it. Then we noticed the water on every small rain. Took the vehicle to the dealer. They said replaced and sealed the o-rings and washers in the hatch. It did not work. They checked the a/c ducting and found nothing. Later they directed us to the body shop. Body shop replaced the hinges and bolts in the rear hatch. It appeared to be solved the problem. Last week rain again broght the water in side.

Body shop wants to check thouroughly and investigate?

Please inform me if you find this problem fixed.

Thanks
  • ralkaralka Posts: 72
    could come from under the hatch weatherstrip and rolling under the carpets forward
  • timchi1timchi1 Posts: 1
    Did you ever find an answer? I am having the same problem with a 2001 Sienna. Water is getting under the carpet and seems to be concentrated in the back passenger side of the car. Have taken the carpet out twice now and water tested the car but can’t seem to figure our were or how it is getting in,

Thanks
  • JOEE78JOEE78 Posts: 7
    YES,
    AFTER EXTENSIVE WATER TESTING,WE FOUND LEAK WAS FROM REAR
    DOOR,THE REAR HATCH DOOR,SO WE REPLACED THE PERIMETER SEAL THAT GOES AROUND THE REAR DOOR,THE TECH WHO REPALCED THE SEAL SAW TOYOTA HAS CHANGED THE DESIGN,SO THEY MUST BE AWARE
    OF PROBLEM AND LEAKS FROM REAR DOOR.
    IT WAS HARD TO FIND SINCE WATER POOLED UNDER FRONT FLOOR MATS,
    SINCE THE WATER WAS RUNNING UNDERNEATH BODY PAN AND TO FRONT OF CAR.THE LAST WEEK WE HAD HEAVY RAINS,AND NO LEAKS,YEAH!
    GOOD LUCK,HOPE THIS HELPS
    JOE.
  • abbachiaabbachia Posts: 2
    Wow!! Cant believe I found this. I got a 03 Sienna from a family member and the van reeks of mold. Didn't take long to figure the carpets were soaked. First realized that the rear carpet padding was wet. I am going to assume the problem was similar to yours as the further up i get the less wet the padding is (as best as I can tell without pulling the carpet). Now all I have to do is pull the carpet and let it dry and clean the mold smell out. Any tips on pulling the carpet? Did you have remove any interior trim or just the seats?
  • car5608car5608 Posts: 2
    We have one of the 1st 04's made. I have also noticed water in the rear seat storage area only after it has been out in the rain. Did Toyota cover the cost of the replacement? Ours is way out of warrenty. We have also had issues with automatic side door cable breaking and they wanted $2500 to repair. We just paid $400 to have them fix a cable so that it would stay in park. We were hoping to get well over 100K miles, but its not looking good.

Thanks,

George
    MY WATER LEAK WAS FROM THE REAR DOOR,THE SEAL AROUND THE REAR DOOR,AND WE SEE TOYOTA HAS CHANGED THE DESIGN.
    OUR CAR IS OUT OF WARRANTY SO WE PAID.
    I HAVEN'T HAD TROUBLE WITH SLIDING DOORS,SO I CAN'T HELP
    YA THERE.
    WATER TEST THE REAR DOOR/HATCH FOR LEAKS,IF IT LEAKS IN THERE THE WATER WILL GET UDER THE CARPET AND ROLL TO THE FRONT SINCE THE FLOOR PAN IS LEVEL.
    REMOVE THE SEATS AND SOME TRIM AND LAY THE CARPET ON A CLOTHES LINE TO DRY OUT.
    GOOD LUCK
  • I meant, "Dealer only", not "sealer only" ... freudian slip

thank you so much Joe for this info, I can't believe it was posted so specifically! I've got the EXACT same symptoms on my 2000 Sienna, water pooling , severely I (I'm in Seattle ....) on both sides of the front floor. In investigating it, I was very puzzled by the amount of water leaking out the rear hatch door when it was lifted. Now it seems clear why! Is the seal replacement a "Dealer only" option, or do you think there could be a home remedy? Thanks again for posting
  • jmbuddiesjmbuddies Posts: 6
    Hi there, I also have the same problem with water leak, I have a 2002 Sienna also, and have been in talks back and forth between the dealer and Toyota Corporation (800-331-4331). The thing with mold you can't get rid of it completely, especially behind the carpet is a spongy material, it will always stay there, you have to replace the entire carpet. Just spoke with my dealer and they want me to pay for it ($2100) yes...ouch!!!!)
    Listen folks, this is without a doubt, a manufacturing defect and a severe health issue, and they are refusing to pay for it. We are talking about a serious health issue here, in some cases it sends people to the hospital if not death. That's why I am standing the ground and making these people pay for it, IT'S THEIR PROBLEM AND YOU SHOULD NOT PAY FOR IT.
    I've noticed a patern, they all deny that the problem exists with other customers, here's the classic -"nothing is in our database about this problem". Then why in the world Toyota re-designed the rear hatch seal????? ( maybe they were just boured...and woke up one day, "hey, lets design something different today!!! WOW!)
    I had this leak problem since I bought the van 2 years ago, now it's unbearable smell of mold and rotting smell of death! I've had it with this people, if they don't fix it I am t :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: aking them to court. Guess what, they will pay a lot more than a mere carpet and a seal! Please contact the Toyota Corporation at the number above, if enough people make noise, maybe, just maybe, they'll do something. Please pass the word around, these water leak problems that I've read in posts similar to this one, reports problems from years '98 to '06. I feel bad for these folks, because they are stuck with it and not knowing what to do. (You would think, that the great TOYOTA would help you...NOT!) Hope this helps.
  • jmbuddiesjmbuddies Posts: 6
    Hi there, I also have the same problem with water leak, I have a 2002 Sienna also, and have been in talks back and forth between the dealer and Toyota Corporation (800-331-4331). The thing with mold you can't get rid of it completely, especially behind the carpet is a spongy material, it will always stay there, you have to replace the entire carpet. Just spoke with my dealer and they want me to pay for it ($2100) yes...ouch!!!!)
    Listen folks, this is without a doubt, a manufacturing defect and a severe health issue, and they are refusing to pay for it. We are talking about a serious health issue here, in some cases it sends people to the hospital if not death. That's why I am standing the ground and making these people pay for it, IT'S THEIR PROBLEM AND YOU SHOULD NOT PAY FOR IT.
    I've noticed a patern, they all deny that the problem exists with other customers, here's the classic -"nothing is in our database about this problem". Then why in the world Toyota re-designed the rear hatch seal????? ( maybe they were just boured...and woke up one day, "hey, lets design something different today!!! WOW!)
    I had this leak problem since I bought the van 2 years ago, now it's unbearable smell of mold and rotting smell of death! I've had it with this people, if they don't fix it I am taking them to court. Guess what, they will pay a lot more than a mere carpet and a seal! Please contact the Toyota Corporation at the number above, if enough people make noise, maybe, just maybe, they'll do something. Please pass the word around, these water leak problems that I've read in posts similar to this one, reports problems from years '98 to '06. I feel bad for these folks, because they are stuck with it and not knowing what to do. (You would think, that the great TOYOTA would help you...NOT!) Hope this helps. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    YES , they should take care of it.It seems the dealer isn't too good at diagnosing
    it and the problem lingers on.it took acouple of years of this reacurring problem to get bad enough where i had to have someone else diagnose and repair leak from rear hatch.hanging carpet out to dry,and spraying with lysol the floor and carpets nuetralized the odor.i did notice with the carpet removed up in the front floor boards,area's rusted from this since ,off and on for awhile i noticed a odor,musty
    and moldy at times,little did i know i had water below my feet.
    well good luck with getting Toyota to step up and Fix.
    LET US ALL KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT.

'
  • abbachiaabbachia Posts: 2
    I have yet to find the time to get the rear seal fixed. What I HAVE done is I've pulled the carpet out and put it in my shed to dry out. I the meantime I put the carpet mats back in. You almost don't notice that the the carpet is not there. Now when it leaks it doesn't get trapped under the carpets and it dries and doesn't get moldy. I know its a short term solution but its getting the job done for now.

I cannot imagine ever getting the mold smell out of the carpet so even after the rear seal is fixed I will probably leave it like this until you guys convince Toyota to pay for new carpeting.