Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2001 Volkswagen Beetle Electrical & Lighting Problems

Comments

• jeffc6jeffc6 Posts: 2
    Did you find out want was causing your electrical issues? I have exactly the same thing happening to my 1998 Beetle.

Thanks
  • odudeodude Posts: 6
    I have owned my beetle turboS for a year and half, and there have been issues ranging from electronic issues to headlight problems and the lack of quality with many of the interior features.
    My right daytime running light is dimmer than the left headlight, and is noticable when the headlights are on at night. I will take it in to the dealer, since they replaced the headlight cover on the right side. However i wanted to ask if anyone had similar issues.
    Also, the remote lock button locks the passenger door but doesn't lock the driver side consistently. In fact, it didn't work for the past 8 months but just recently began working as did the locking mechanism once the car reached 10mph. Also, I used to be able to close the windows and the sunroof by turning my key in the door lock. This no longer works.
    I also noticed last week that lit icons appear when I engage/disengage the spoiler and when I unlock the back hatch. That stopped the next day, but I thought it was unusual that these light indicators appeared after a year and a half of not working. My spoiler that enganges at 45mph makes a loud, abrupt noise when it closes once I slow down below 45 mph. Do other beetle owners notice this loud problem too?
    Finally, though this is purely aesthetic, the interior parts of my beetle show wear and tear easily. I am very careful with my car's interior and keep it very clean, However, I noticed the black finish on the radio and especially the cup holders, have begun to rub off and bubble and peel (this occurred on the plastic surrounding the cup holders.) The interior door handles also show scratches and erosion of the black finish. I am seeing more of these problems on my dash and on the rubber and plastic components around the glove compartment. Any advice on these finish problems because I am not sure what to do but know it will only get worse!
  • I understand that the slider must be pulled up in order to release the assembly. However, the passenger side light refuses to pop out. I have tried everything in the instructions and it just doesn't work. As far as the Hanes manual...it isn't that useful.
    Do you have any suggestions?
    thanks.
  • Hello,
    I know what you are going through if you haven't seen the inside of the headlight system. If your headlight has popped out enough (it should when you move the lever)to get you finger tips under it, have someone pull and wiggle the assembly while you push from the rear. The assembly is accessable and open in the rear.
    I think the wiggle while pushing and pulling is the answer. Once you get it out, I advise you to lube all moving parts for future removal. After you see how it works, you will be an expert headlight mechanic.
  • I followed the instructions to replace the driver's side headlamp, found it really difficult to pull hard enough on the black plastic lever to release the headlight assembly, was careful to set the assembly on the two tracks before pushing it back in, and can not get the assembly to latch back into place. Any suggestions for this 2003 VW New Beetle Turbo? What kind of lubricant can be used on the gray plastic tracks on which the assembly slides?
  • Hello,
    I think this system was really a good setup when it was new and clean. However, the dirt and filth that get into the mechanism is the culprit.
    Try to remove as much as you can. I used a dry spray but I guess about any slick product will work. The secret to getting the unit back in is about the same as removal.
    While your pushing up? on the lever bump the front of the light with the palm of your hand rapidly. Your trying to vibrate the track system while pushing in on the light.
    Hope this helps!
  • I have same trouble with 98 Beetle. Have you had any luck finding the cause?
  • JReier was correct - it's the dirt. The seal around the headlamp is not tight, and allows a tornado of dirt to enter the internal tracks of its housing. The dirt does not blow away, and sticks to the mechanism of the locking ring, preventing the motion to unlock it. It was extremely difficult to remove the headlamp assembly, but once out, it is relatively easy to clean all three tracks inside the cavity, and possible but not easy to clean the locking ring so that is rotates freely. Once all is clean of dirt, mire, grit and gunk, and well lubricated with a compound that will not degrade the plastic, you have to line up all three protrusions from the headlight assembly with the corresponding tracks inside the cavity, push the assembly in until it rests on the tracks, remove the cover over the fuses, push down hard on the lever on the locking mechanism to align its internal opening with the locking pin on the headlight assembly, push this assembly into the car to engage the pin with the locking mechanism, then pull up HARD on the lever while pushing the headlight assembly in until you hear a click. Replace the fuse cover.
  • I have a 99 beetle that headlights, turn signal,heat/ac blower,wipers,parking brake light are not working. fuses and fuse block on top of battery are ok. I would like to repair myself if possible, please help. thanks Ricktick3
  • I was number 10 in this string of VW Beetle light issues back in April 2007. I have still not found out what the problem is and it is still ocurring. Recently I have had my red oil can light set off a loud siren which continues on a regular basis for hours - similar to the one that goes off briefly when you need gas only - louder and more obnoxious. It always occurs when my temperature light stays on instead of going off - which is always blue. I took it in and numerous times to Bill Jacobs VW dealer on Ogden in Naperville IL. I paid for a new signals around $400.00. Still not working - they kept it for over 2 weeks while I had a loaner. No luck! They can not replicate the issue. So the day I go to pick it up they told me that I need my water pump and oil pan replaced for 1,300. I told them I want a second opinion and the second opinion told me that it those parts did not need replaced. I was treated badly at Bill Jacobs and do not recommend anyone going to them for service. The service manager Mike Jozwiak treated me horrible because even though he had my car for two weeks, he did not know the what was going on and just kept defending this position that his mechanics said that the water pump and oil pan needed replacing. He finally offered to take off 300 to have them replaced and I refused.
    I would drive far to a VW Dealer who could fix my car! I love my 2001 Beetle and it only has 58,000 on it! I am suprised that the Beetles have so many problems with this and VW has done nothing to correct this issue! Help!
  • When I bought my 2001 used beetle similar things happened. The battery needed replaced. It was making the electricle system do strange things.
  • i have a 99 beetle and i have changed the mass air flow, twice and now the mpg has gone down tremendously . i have replaced the plugs and wires, fuel filter also, but the weird thing is that my buddy has a nice computer and when he hook it up, it was showing the car was doing 91 mph while in idle position.Has any one ever heard of this.Please give me some insight of this..Thank
  • abtabt Posts: 1
    '63, 1300cc:6 volt batt. are $$$$,hard to find (none @ wally world),and short lived(10 Mos.).
    Converting to 12V is a hassle too.
    Why can't I put in an 12 volt batt.(under-charged at 'say'at 6-9 volts.Will not the generator maintain the batt.at the gen. output volts of (8.2 v)?I'm tempted to try it. What's your thoughts?
    TIA al
  • I have a 2007 beetle with about 6000 miles and while driving home today at about 65-70 mph my battery light turned on my stearing wheel went completely stiff almost impossible to turn and then my oil light started blinking I had the oil changed about 1000 miles ago the engine was also making a whining noise.
  • I have a 2000 Beetle 2.0, blower quit working. Removed the blower resistor, replaced with new, still not working. I noticed that the a/c button next to the circulation light does not illuminate when pressed, could this be of any effect. Has anyone had this same problem, any ideas on what to check next. Have checked all the fuses on the left end of the instrument panel, and battery all seem to be okay.
  • The driver's side taillight is much dimmer than the one on the passenger side when the brakes are applied. Thinking that there might be two bulbs in the tail light, I took the car to AutoZone to purchase a new bulb and to ask how to get the old one out. When I opened the trunk, there was no access to the tail light assembly, even after removing some of the lining of the trunk well.

I searched this forum but found no information, so have to ask, "How do I replace the tail light bulb?" The AutoZone salesperson had an older Beetle, and said I may have to remove one of the body panels to access the tail light. Is that true?

Thanks for sharing the light replacement procedure with me.

Jerry
  • Did you ever find out the probelm with the VW beetle... I am having the same problem now, and we are tring to figure out what is wrong... please help!? :confuse:
  • Did you ever find out the probelm with the VW beetle... I am having the same problem now, and we are tring to figure out what is wrong... please help!? :confuse:
  • stopped working:
    Horn, Turn Signals, AC & Blower, Vent controls, Winshild wipers & Fluid controls, Head Lights.

still operating correctly:
    Radio, Brake Lights, Running Lights, Pwr Windows, Pwr locks, Pwr trunk, Pwr gas door release, Car starts and runs normal !
    BUT ... The hazard flashers work, the momentary bright lights when you pull back on the turn singal works.

HELP?!?!
  • Go over to www.thesamba.com they are all about air cooled bugs and have a great forum for tech issues. I am a member and have gotten help with my '72 Bug.
    good luck! ;)
  • I have a 2000 Volkswagen Beetle that the battery went dead. We replaced the battery and a few days later the the headlamps, turn signals, blower motor, and wipers quit working. The last time this happened it was the ignition. Has anyone had this problem?
  • Did you ever find anything out? My VW bug is doing the same thing! THANKS!
  • I had the same problem. I jsut got it fixed it is the load realy switch! that created this problem. I had no wipers, blow moter, headlights, abs, break and engine light would stay on! soooo this was my problem. I had to go to the dealer.
  • Bill142- Any luck finding out the problems to your electrical system failure? I am going through the same thing right now with my 2002 beetle. Thanks for the help!
  • hey jerry,

I noticed it has been a while since you have posted your dilemma. In case you have not figured it out, I have a 2001 beetle, and might be able to help you. There are two circular pieces of plastic on the inside of your trunk, opposite the taillights on the outside...they should be black and sloped. These pieces pop off, giving you access to the lamp. All you have to do is push the taillight out from the inside (by means of a weird protrusive, funny-bent wire). There, you will find the wires and the housing for your lights, which simply unclip. Make sure when you replace the light, you tighten the lens back on to your car. Good luck... now off to find out how to fix my electrical problems!

Hope I could help!
    Amanda
  • jimmer6jimmer6 Posts: 1
    Had the same prob. installed a remote switch and it works , I would imagine you need a new fan switch
  • bee8bee8 Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone,

I have a 05 Beetle GLS, I think someone stole the headlight cover, the plastic piece is missing. Does anyone know if the whole headlight needs to be replaced or maybe I can by the plastic piece that fits over the top? The dealer wants $385. to replace head lamp. THATS OUTRAGEOUS! I would appreciate any advice.

Thank You!
    BEE08
  • Look for a bad ground to the assembly. Usually when you have a dim bulb like you are describing it is getting it's ground through another bulb.
  • We offer them on our website dartauto.com for $186.85. I have seen a couple of messed up ones that people have tried to get in and out, but with a little patience, some silicon spray and the help of this board you should be able to change it.
  • I assume you've fixed this already, but just to let you know I don't think this is the same battery issue that beans31 had. I had this EXACT problem a couple of years ago on my 2002 GLS. The svc dept traced it to the switch being stuck as "open", so it thought the hatch was open all the time. Thus, the reason your car did not beep when you locked it--it thought that the hatch was open, even though it was really closed. They replaced the switch (under mf. warranty at that tiem) and I haven't had any problems (with this anyway :( )since.