Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35x

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
edited September 2014 in INFINITI
Here's a place you can talk specifically about your G35x - or the one that you'd like to be yours! ;) Since the 07 G35x utilizes a unique combination of new engine, chassis and AWD, it seems like it deserves its own discussion.

Enjoy!

Comments

• ddnyddny Member Posts: 20
    Been driving my '07 G35x, it's pretty nice, feels/sounds like a race car, but...

My question - what RPMs does yours run at at 60 or 70? For instance, mine runs 3,000RPMs @ 70mph, which to me seems preposterous, as if it's running in 3rd or 4th gear.

I want to know if these all do this, or is my car broken?

Thanks all!
    dvd
  • audi2infintiaudi2infinti Member Posts: 9
    My G35 6MT coupe is in the shop for a headlight recall and they gave me a brand new 2007 G35x loaner. What an improvement over the old G sedan! It is very nice. Just my quick two cents:

The looks are so much better. Both in and out.

The interior has really improved over the older model, but I am not sure if I like the styling any more.

The ride seems much smoother. But that may just be the tires.

The shift points on the auto were a little off for me, but I am sure the car adapts to the driver/conditions.

Unfortunately, my right leg rubs on the bulging center console in all the wrong ways and I still cannot get the driver seat set "just right".

Also, I think maybe the center console and dash may overwhelm the feeling of the interior. The car feels smaller.

But:

AWD, Leather, 300 horse v6, decent stereo, power everything, key fob/keyless ignition, and too much more to list... all at a great price point no one else can touch.

Maybe when i get ready to trade in my Coupe next year the G35 sedan will be on my list of cars to test drive.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think he'd like to hear from other G35x owners as well. ;)
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    :blush:
    You mean other opinions count as well?
    ;)
    hehe. Yes, the msg was kind of moved to the "G35x" forum, the X being a separate beast from the Coupe/Sport, with its 306HP/AWD combo...

Love the car of course, just wish it had a "granny" switch so I could actually get > 20mpg sometimes :)
  • dafinmandafinman Member Posts: 8
    These cars have the VQ35HR. Infiniti say's the HR stands for High Rev and High Responsiveness. This engine is low friction, high reving and smooth so driving at 70 at 3,000 RPM is effortless; we just aren't used to seeing those RPM's. What are the 6 MT's turning at 70?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    :shades:
    Yes, smooth is the word. My first inclination was to because it's so different drivetrain-wise from my quietly speedy Accord V6.

After taking a few spins over the weekend, I now conclude that the problem exists in the driver's seat (me). The thing is just damn awesome, and sounds like a race car when properly wound out... :shades:
  • kring5kring5 Member Posts: 144
    How about the downshifts? Coming into a turn at 60, drop it to second and the sound is AMAZING! then push it out of the turn and "swell" back to 7500 and it blows you away.

This car's is an absolute thrill to drive, especially when you keep it in the sweet spot of 4500-7000 RPM.
    This car's is an absolute thrill to drive, especially when you keep it in the sweet spot of 4500-7000 RPM.

Thanks, Mr. "my car's already broken in" :mad:
    (LOL)
    I try to keep it below 4k, but I'll admit, I cheat sometimes. :blush:
  • nos684nos684 Member Posts: 4
    For all of you that already own a 35x, what was the pricing that you recieved on it...i currently am trying to haggle for 36 even w/o taxes, on a black on black, navi, prem and wood trim. Any pointers on how low I should try to go before i give in?...I am residing in the North Jersey area.
  • dafinmandafinman Member Posts: 8
    I'm in Oklahoma my dealer had a large stock of Sedans and the one I wanted on the lot. They knocked 1.5 K off the price but I also added $700 for the urethane film and had XM added so there was some fluff for them to work with. BTW, mine does not have Nav.

I was looking for an X in Houston and they don't stock them because of the mild weather. The RWD stock was very low because they are in such demand so they were not dealing at all.
    Yes, the tailpipe growl is awesome, more like a small 8 cyl. I'm a big chicken, so since mine's still only at 1200 miles, I'll wait until 3-4K miles before purposely redlining it :)
    I did the lease thing, $359/(24)month @ 12k miles for , 3800 down, $25K residual, it was a national deal for the X w/sunroof+splashguards, wish I tried to swap the sunroof for the convenience pkg (nav/blutooth), only about $1K difference. The residual seems reasonable, for a car that keeps its value pretty well.
  • wes_888wes_888 Member Posts: 38
    Hey Guys -- is the G35x as tail happy as the RWD counterpart?

I test drove the RWD and I easily had the tail come out on a sharp right turn.. but I dont recall being able to do that on the X version..or maybe I just didnt drive it hard enough..hmmm...

I have yet to see that for myself when I get my G35x in 3 weeks time.. Im very excited!!
  • ripmasterripmaster Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,
    New to this forum but already have learned quite a bit so thank you!

I got a new 07 G35x AT yesterday but have noticed something when hard accelerating: when the car is shifting from first to second, the dash lights up a "Wheel Slip" light and the engine cuts power momentarily, then resumes. Of course the roads have been perfectly dry....

This has happened on the test car I drove, my car and my friend's car.

This doesn't happen when I change the gears manually via the "manu-matic" shifter.

I searched the forums but didn't seem to come across this exact same issue - anyone else experiencing this and/or know about it?

Thanks and regards!

RLS
    VDC. (Vehicle Dynamic Control)

Your car is sensing wheel slippage and it's cutting engine power to regain control.
    You can either calm down a little or turn the VDC off. There's a switch near your left knee.

More importantly is is that you have a brand new G35 which is a day old and your already flooring it?
    Read the manual and the break-in schedule.

There should be no hard acceleration or braking, and no holding RPMs for a long time in any one position, like highway driving for at least 1,200 miles.

Calm down! Your G will thank you.
    Hi Scottm123,
    Thanks for the reply. Yup, I get that that the car is sensing slippage...but the fact is, there is none... it's my opinion this is a small problem with the G35X automatic transmission...as I said, it's happened in 3 different cars, all on perfectly dry, debris-free roads. The problem does not happen when shifting gears manually (from first to second at least, I have not gone full throttle from second to third).

On another note, please don't think that all I'm doing is driving with my right foot planted all the time :blush: ...I know the break-in guidelines for this car and have owned many other new cars as well, but I can tell you that a VERY infrequent full run from first to second will not harm the engine in any way.

Matter of fact, it was the salesman himself who first noticed this "anomoly" when he drove a demo car off the lot and I was in the passenger seat and he was showing off the acceleration. My friend was on that test drive and when he got his own he noticed the exact same behavior...

So anyway, back to the original intent of my post: do you think this could be a true quirk for these cars?

Promise my G35X will be just fine too! ;)
    There IS slippage.
    The reason you do not feel it is because the VDC is doing just what it was designed to do.
    You'll also notice it if you're doing about 30 in the right lane, floor it and change lanes. As the wheels are under that torque and hit the little painted lines in the road, the VDC will flash.
    The wheels are not full-on slipping because the VDC is doing what it's supposed to do.

There is no quirk with the tranny.

Turn your VDC off and test again.
    After 1,200 miles, of course. ;)
    Hi Scottm123,

Well...I really hate to seem argumentative here, but remember that the problem does NOT occur if I manually shift from first to second; it's only when in automatic mode... :confuse:

In manual mode the car just keeps on going full bore through the gear change but in auto mode the engine cuts power for a full 2 seconds or so right as it is about to change into second (as you point out, the VDC is kicking in)...

I know I won't be trying this again anytime soon so for those that have passed the engine break-in period, I'm wondering if you continue to experience the same thing?

I know that in the demo car we rode in, it had about 4000 miles on it and did the same thing. When I shifted that car manually from first into second, - no VDC engagement at all. I guess we need some field testing ;)
    Dude... no arguing at all.
    These back-and-forth discussions are how we come to conclusions.
    I think they're kinda fun, actually!

Anywho... I may have misunderstood you.
    What you are saying is that as the car is about to shift from 1st to 2nd, there is a pause in acceleration and the VDC light blinks?
    NO... I don't experience that, or at least, haven't noticed it.
    I do spend most of my time in "M" mode though.
    Sounds like a fun test though, so I'll try it out tonight and let you know what I see.

I have an 07 G35x with 3,700 miles on it.
    It's solid in "D", "DS" and "M" mode and there is no slipping of any kind in any gear change.

Like I said, I only see the VDC light flash if I rocket around an intersection corner, launch from those slippery toll booth platforms, or do a little bump drafting and then pass at full throttle.
    So yes, I do see the VDC light once in a while when I'm driving hard, but I would definitely not caulk it up to "tranny slipping" :confuse:

With all that being said, I will say that "DS" and "M" modes offer a much more efficient gear change than "D" mode, which I believe is designed to be a little smoother.
    This, along with whatever adaptive learning the "D" mode has picked up, may have something to do with it as well.

This is actually one of the more impressive transmissions I have seen in recent years.
    If the X offered a stick, I would have been all over that... but for an Auto, I couldn't ask for anything more.
    Hey Scott,
    I agree comeletely about this line of discussion; it's kept positive and mature so I am very appreciative!

So yeah; the VDC pause also happened in "DS" mode too...
    I'll keep monitoring this thread for your input.

As for this AT; I agree it is one of the best out there!!!
    By the way, I've read about people experiencing jerky take off from a stop; I don't experience this at all!
    Jerky takeoffs...
    The adaptive learning of this tranny is critical for it to be smooth on takeoff.
    When I bought my car, it had 10.5 miles on it.
    Even when feathering the throttle with the slightest touch, the car took off like a damn rocket.
    Drove the wife crazy, because she thought I was driving like a nut job.
    Got to the point where I thought about carrying a neck brace for passengers. :P

It has since calmed down and it's now smooth as butter, but still rockets off if I want it to.

I'll test for the VDC light tonight and will post my findings tomorrow morning.
    I'm going to be in my office until about 8 tonight, so the roads will be nice and empty for my commute home.
    Any test which consists of WOT is a good test, in my opinion.
    OK Scott, I'm home but confirmed that it happened with my friend's car again. He's anxious to see how widespread this is...

Not a huge deal but it shouldn't happen...still in love with the car though! :D
    It was pouring out when I left the office last night.
    Takeoff has been postponed due to weather conditions. ;)
    Hey Scott,
    Too bad! I live in Colorado so I should experience just about every kind of driving condition at one point or another, but the AWD in heavy rain should be interesting :P

By the way, a BMW 335i pulled up along side me at a light this morning...GAWD I was tempted but restrained! Go figure :surprise:
    He took off and man does that car appear to be fast!

On another note, I opened my sunroof yesterday and the molding on the right side just spilled out :cry:

I know there is already a service bulletin about that so back to the dealer I go this weekend. Hopefully not the beginning of a pattern!

I also went out and bought a Garmin Nuvi 660 to use in the G...anyone here have any experience with that unit?
    The service bulletin for the moonroof liner was taken care of on my car this past weekend while getting the oil changed.
    Quick fix.

If that's the worst to come, I'm very happy.
    Okay, I had the chance to make a few runs this weekend and yes, the "Slip" light does blink... but it happens in "M" mode as well and not just in "D" & "DS".
    Don't see it in "M" mode?
    Turn out, left or right, onto a road and nail it... you'll see it, no matter what mode you're in.

From the manual:
    Slip Indicator Light.

This indicator will blink when the VDC
    system or the traction control system is
    operating, thus alerting the driver to the
    fact that the road surface is slippery and
    the vehicle is nearing its traction limits.

This is what I was trying to explain.
    It's not your transmission slipping, it's just the VDC kicking in to keep you glued to the road.
    Hey Scott, -
    Thanks for testing this out...did you get the engine cutting power for a couple of seconds too? Hmmm, so you had it happen in M mode too? Read on for some interesting news:

Turns out when I was getting the sunroof molding fixed, my Infiniti service manager knew about this "occurance".

He claims they are amassing more data but that in essence there is apparently a pressure sensor in the transmission that may be programmed incorrectly. He would not confirm this in full but we all may need to "stay tuned" to see if this becomes an update. I asked him if this is occurring on the G35 (non-X models) and he hasn't heard of any reports...the plot thickens!

Well, I've owned many cars including an M3, Audi Turbo A4, Eclipse Turbo and none of them ever cut power when accelerating from first into second like this. Not a huge deal, but one I would like to see corrected if it is indeed an issue...just love this car though!

Thanks again for testing Scott. Oh, and I knew the transmission itself was not slipping, I just thought it odd on a perfectly dry road in a straight line the car would detect slippage of the tires on the road and cut power...
    I'll ping the guys in the other forum I frequent and see what's up.
    They're very much on the tech side of things there so maybe I'll get some more info.

I don't know if it's necessarily sensing slippage.
    I just caulked it up to the tranny knowing more than I do, and maybe it was cutting power to ease on the wear of first to second when under such stress.

Who knows... :confuse:
    Ah, one more update...so back my car went to the service department today; this time for a loud rattling noise (like a bunch of broken glass or nuts and bolts rattling over metal) coming from the cabin when turning left or right...sigh...

Anyhoo, this time the Service manager himself took a ride with me to hear the noise and I brought up again the pause when accelerating. He said he hears this 5 times a week, and he guarantees there will be a technical service bulletin within the next 6 months to address this. ;) He said it was worse in the G35 Sport, which contradicts what I was told before but acknowledges that "That isn't right"!

He said it drives him crazy... :shades:

It seems that my rattling noise could be broken glass coming from within the space hull beneath the vehicle...my question is: on a supposedly brand new car how is there broken glass already? Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm...

But enough about the things that need fixin'; I think it's time to bring up something positive :P I just think the sound of that engine is simply sweet music. Anyone else agree?
    Update: Turns out the rattling noise was nothing more than rocks and pebbles caught in some protective plate beneath the gas tank...

So, all is good!
    So, not only are you flooring it and beatin' on your brand new G, but you're now taking it off road for a little 4-wheelin' as well?
    :P ;)

Glad to hear it was nothing, and an easy fix!
    Busted! J/K, actually the dealer thought they came from a dirt road, and when I explained that not only do I NOT live on a dirt road but that I had never even driven the car on a dirt road, there was an awkward silence. The car had 92 miles on it when I got it...oh well!

Got my Nuvi 660 and that's really a nice little unit,. I'm impressed. You can't speak destinations to it like with the Infiniti Nav package but it does just about everything else including Bluetooth, etc.
  • mrnick2mrnick2 Member Posts: 6
    I hate the manual mode in my xc90, it ultimately shifts when it wants to anyway lol...tried it in our new G, and it did work better, but I doubt i'll ever use it...ultimately, if I'm not pushing in a clutch...it's not a manual lol.
    I hate the manual mode in my xc90, it ultimately shifts when it wants to anyway lol...tried it in our new G, and it did work better, but I doubt i'll ever use it...ultimately, if I'm not pushing in a clutch...it's not a manual lol.

True, but since the G35x didn't offer a 6-speed, I have to settle for the Auto.
    Comparing it to the IS and the TL, it's night and day.
    There is no shifting unless I tell it to.
    The others can't say that.
    It holds the gear to red line and never shifts... unless I hit the shift.
    (It will downshift if I forget, but you have to be very low in RPMs for it to happen - Moron Proof Safety Feature)
    It's the next best thing to having a manual.
  • fsaneilfsaneil Member Posts: 4
    i really just need to know if the the cars are identical in look and shape. To be exact - the windows on both year models are identical. 2007 & 2008 G35 4 door have identical windows.

Can anyone confirm this?

thanks
    Comfirmed
  • fsaneilfsaneil Member Posts: 4
    Thank you very much!
  • fit2runfit2run Member Posts: 4
    I was about to pick up my new 2008 GS35x AWD, when I notice they have a SPORTS PACKAGE available. I contacted the dealership in NJ and they said that car will not be ready until the End of Dec or beg. of January.

I think it is well worth the wait. You get all the benefits of the sports model, but with the security of AWD.

Plus it looks so dam amazing. with the side sills different bumper etc. ANyone have an opionion on this?
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    i agree completely. It's about time Infiniti treats the X as a real sport machine and not the luxury version of the G35.
  • fit2runfit2run Member Posts: 4
    I am choosing a white/wheat G35x with Premium Packagae, Wood, Splash Guards and Sunroof Wind Deflector.

Put down $3,000, Rolling in $4,700 in lease payments from my current car. Walked out of there with a $599 payment for 39 months.

I went to 2 other dealers and NJ and they could not match this. Is this a good deal?
  • gene28gene28 Member Posts: 9
    the dealship has a vehicle that I like with premium but no navigation. Navigation is nice but not a deal breaker with me. They also can get one same with nav. I am casual city type driver and while it may be handy once in a while I'm no techie and don't like to fool around with gadgets. I am thinking most people want it and I might strike a better deal for the car without? Any thoughts? In five years the fact that it does not have it is that going to be a real negative for resale? I am really new at this and appreciate any experienced comments. Thank you.
  • shov8shov8 Member Posts: 87
    I have a G35 w/ navigation. Like you, I pretty much know where I am driving on a day-to-day basis and the navigation part is not very useful. Now having said that, so far (only a month of ownership) I've had to go to a few places where I don't normally drive and the navigation came in handy, especially once I left the location and wanted to head home by the quickest route. It's not very hard to use and can be done through voice commands.

For me, I had two reasons to get the navigation system. One, obviously the navigation part, but the second was the Music Box and 9.3GB HD space to record CDs. I also have an iPod but I still like recording CDs into the music box so that no matter what happens (iPod at home, CDs at home, etc) I have some good music to listen to (plus I can't stand the radio and XM is just OK). For me it was an option I was willing to purchase.

Keep in mind the navigation on the '08 also has the rear-view monitor. Again, it's not a deal-breaker item for me, but is a cool feature if you have it.

As for resale, I doubt it would be a real negative downer in 5 years to not have the navigation system. The navigation system won't get that much of a premium over a non-navi system (depreciation and all) and it might only be a factor if you are selling the car private-party and the buyer definitely wants a navigation system. If you are happy with the car you have in mind - I say go for it :)

kc
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I find rear-view monitor is more useful than the nav. I might need the nav once or twice a year but I need to back up every day. I wish that they have the rear-view monitor as a separate option (say. $500).

For resale value, I think all those options are only worth about 50% when you trade in after 5 years.
  • slzweibelslzweibel Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know how the AWD feature of the G35x works? The rear/front distribution of power with the SNOW switch to OFF? to ON? Does it switch to AWD if it senses slippage even with the SNOW switch set to OFF? Is it always in AWD mode when the SNOW switch is ON? Does the front/rear distribution change with the SNOW switch ON?? Thanks for any information.
  • adamr001adamr001 Member Posts: 95
    For those who think the slip light comes on "excessively" or unnecessarily... My 07 6MT seemed to suffer from this. So much so I kept turning off the VDC. Then I got my ECU flashed for the cruise control surging issue and blamo, VDC issues are gone. The light will still come on, but now it's for real and isn't just cutting in for no reason at all. It's night and day, really.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    I have an 05X, but would assume that the AWD feature works the same.

Snow switch off, power is 75%R at start-up, going 100% around 29 MPH. The system can go 50% / 50% anytime it senses slip.

Snow switch on, power is 50% / 50% at start-up until around 20 MPH. Ater 20 MPH, the system goes to 100% R until it senses slip or another start-up. Throttle response is also reduced to assist with smooth starts.

The system works very well. We chose the AWD G35 in 2005 because of the way AWD was implemented versus any of the competitors at that time. The car drives like rwd sport sedan most of the time, but can offer "snowmobile" like traction when you need it :shades:
    I've heard slightly different

The G35x is in AWD when it starts out. (Even when not in Snow Mode)
    At 12 MPH, (I heard 12 :confuse: ) it changes to 100% RWD and only sends power to front wheels if it senses slippage, and once this has been corrected, it's right back to RWD.
    There also an Active Brake Limited Slip which sends power from side to side when necessary.

When in Snow Mode, the car's throttle response is altered, making it much easier to start out without wheel spin.
    I played with Snow Mode yesterday for the first time, as we got a couple inches of snow and freezing rain.
    Throttle response was perfect, and my new Blizzaks were great :)

Also note that the ICC Cruise Control cannot be turned on when the car is set to Snow Mode.
This discussion has been closed.