Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grammar and the Peeves that Pet It

Please note that the title is deliberately poorly worded!

If you've look at the links on my CarSpace page, you can probably guess that I'm a language freak, especially when it comes to usage, grammar, and punctuation. I won't even make you admit that you're a freak if you share examples and peeves here :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,886
    I am an Editor by profession, but I try very hard not to bring that with me on message boards. After all, it is not like this is FORMAL writing.

Just as in my e-mails, I try to keep it loose and free. :)

BUT, what drives me nuts on message boards are the lack of paragraphs and coherent sentences (you don't have to be completely proper and accurate to be coherent) and the use of ALL CAPS. While you don't need to be a language expert, making something easy to read is just simple courtesy. If you are looking for a response or, heaven forbid, intelligent correspondence, make it easy to read!

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    I totally agree - when I'm in the company of friends or in a casual conversational atmosphere (such as message boards or non-business e-mail), I'm just trying to get my thoughts onto cyberpaper as efficiently as possible. Thus, my "work product" is quite often imperfect. However, I do try to make it readable.

I'm more concerned with the mistakes on signs and in situations where proofreading should be standard. It really shows a complete lack of initiative, much less any courtesy to the reader, when this step is omitted.

Example: I recently picked up the boxed set of all the Monty Python "Secret Policemen" DVDs. On the outside of the box in quite large letters, reads: "(xx company) will donate 10% of it's profit from the sale of these DVDs to Amnesty International."

And no one along the lines noticed or cared?

I try to pet & feed my peeves daily to keep them satisfied. If my neuroses go away, I may not have much left :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,851
    I hesitate to post in this discussion. With me living in a glass house.. But, what the hey?

My son (who is incredibly intelligent.. no really.. he is.. I'm not biased, at all) was in an academic competition, where the team from his school competed against other schools.

The competition has a name.... and the host school had it printed on a big banner..

Welcome to the Governers Cup

I kid you not.. :surprise:

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

you 2 apparently have the same peeve to pet.

i'm more of a comma and hyphen freak. ;b

Actually.. I can excuse the apostrophe..

After all is it one governor, or more? Where do you put it...

My issue was the spelling... even the kids (12-yr-olds) spotted it right away. Especially since it was in foot-high letters. (hyphen alert ;) )

hell, i'll be honest, i didn't even spot the misspelling. i was sucked right into the apostrophe discussion. that's what i get for being a medical editor all these years. if it doesn't end in "trist" or "ology" it means nothing to me. :)

That's OK. I have a pile of giant rocks to throw at your glass house. You can use them to return fire.

I love that one.

I so hope that this photo appears - took it with a cell phone, seen on a (really, really badly-painted) mural depicting the wreck of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald, located in Grand Marais, Minnesota:

sparking the conversation:
    Toddy: How did all 29 men lose Captain McSorrley? You'd think someone could find him.
    kirstie_h: Especially since he was 729 feet long.

Dang!! Now, I'll be humming Gordon Lightfoot songs all day...

Sundown, you better take care...

How do you all feel about excessive periods at the ends of sentences? ;)

excessive periods ... you mean as in ellipses? ... ?

• user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    I like periods... I like them a lot. Two is one two few. Three is just right. :shades:
    Well... okay then...

They make me happy. I never feel like I have time to finish, so several at the end is like saying, "you haven't heard the last from me."

I'd have to agree on the lack of paragraphs and coherent sentences. Sometime's I'm sensitive to poor grammar, butI'm sure, many people of many nationalities communicate on the board. Frankly, I'm often encouraged by their ability to communicate effectively in written English. And they are doing so without the redundancy there would be with verbal, facial and postural information...

W.r.t. ALL CAPS, I have seen visually challenged individuals have a good deal of difficulty reading their computer screens, to the point they had to use specialized software. Also, once upon a time in our not so distant past (maybe 30 years ago) Teletype machines and Character Generators for CRTs had no UPPER / lowercase capability.

I say, be inclined to be poster-tolerant; we really don't know who's on the other end of the ether do we?

It's the message and the information that's important. :blush:
    Sometimes I use them in an attempt to get people to pause and think about the great idea I just communicated because I'm very important and all the things I write are great.

.not.

I'll be back...
    allot of ppl dont know that all caps is bad message board etiquette so its always nice to tell them gently the first time and sure there are allot of ppl who dont speak english and we should be tolerant of them its just the ppl who dont have any consideration at all for the reader especially when they have a question and are looking for members to answer its not nice to expect them to be good at decoding as well as being good at automotive stuff

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I'm OK with the ellipsis... :P

As long as they're used correctly, they don't peeve me at all! :)

Some folks... you've seen THEM... use them in place of commas!

.........or use too many.....(three is the magic number)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    Hey! I resemble that remark.

Oh...yeah...forgot to put them in. :blush:

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

and you used all lower case, and a run on with no punctuation, and a typo and an unwidely used contraction, yet i easily read and interpreted your message with ease and wish you no ill will

factually, i'm not going to avoid putting forth effort to help you if your problem is interesting because of that - after all, i work for free as do the rest of us that help other people on your site

so how about dem shirts already? :shades:
    Terry got me started on the ellipses kick. I think he said his speak and spell software put them in automatically or something. I realized they were a great idea. :)

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Oh...yeah...forgot to put them in.

Is ellipses singular or plural? I.e., which of these is correct?

(1) Doesn't an ellipses require a leading and trailing space?

(2) Do ellispses require a leading and trailing space?