Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grammar and the Peeves that Pet It

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I love... ellipsis. Some spellcheck program I once used didn't recognize the words following the ellipsis so I started putting the space after it and all was fine.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,226
    i was having a bit of doubt as i typed it, since it is a rule i have not had to use in a very long time. your post made me want to reference it. so i went and searched. it is correct; HOWEVER, it seems that it is technically a period followed immediately by a standard 3-dot ellipsis (the period being necessary since you are ommitting a full sentence or more).

ain't being anal just grand?

by the by, for the record, I love me some contractions (not the type that babies cause). I also love incomplete sentences. Sometimes. When easily understood. capitalization isn't always necessary. i sometimes use it, sometimes not. of course, i'm talking informal writing here. my rules for what i produce at my job are COMPLETELY different.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    In written form only, everyone seems to substitute "loose" for "lose," as in "use it or loose it," or "I'm loosing my mind."

I don't understand this at all, but I pretty sure it comes up every day on these and other forums.

About "however," I'd much rather see it used than today's cliche of choice, "that said" or "having said that..."

And can someone please take "at the end of the day" outside and strangle it?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    And can someone please take "at the end of the day" outside and strangle it?

I'm with you on that one! It is a rhetorical pomposity that roughly translates to "You are a pitiable fool and only I, with my superior intelligence and ineffable sagacity, am capable of sorting out the Universe but I'll briefly lower myself to correct your errant prattle by revealing the Truth ..."

And that's the bottom line! ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,043
    I have trouble with using "that said", when I'm writing.. it just seems wrong. Keep changing it to "that stated", though not sure that is any better.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I think that unless it's a document that has some kind of specific legal meaning, "that said" is fine.

When I read something, I translate the written words into speech (in my head :)) as I read. To me at any rate, you are 'saying' what you write.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    sometimes i find myself speaking what i'm writing. :surprise:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    I don't like ending a sentence with a preposition, though occasionally I find that avoiding doing so makes my writing and speech laughably cumbersome.

xwesx, do you happen to be in science? That tends to make one gravitate toward the passive voice. No one in scientific writing EVER does anything. DNA was sequenced. The experiments were performed. Results were obtained. I know that it's professionally correct, but it still makes me want to scream "by WHOM???" from time to time.

delray, even worse than the proliferation of "at the end of the day" (especially in sports), is the largely British use of "in actual fact." ACTUAL fact? As opposed to made-up fact?

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

but it still makes me want to scream "by WHOM???"

Politicians excel at switching between active and passive. On the one hand, "I singlehandedly created this fine piece of world changing legislation!" And, on the other hand, "Mistakes were made!"

Yeah, right, but by WHOM??? :)

And, I agree, a preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with. Oh, the things up to which we must put! ;)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,245
    that Lynne Truss is a name known to at least half of the participants here, several of whom appear to be hosts.

Are any of you old enough to remember John Charles Daily, who hosted a game show back in the late '50's & early '60's? The man could put words together, as could a number of others over the years. Appropriate construction of articulate sentences is of little or no value anymore, but it's nice to see that a few of us are willing to mourn the demise.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I've only read Eats, Shoots and Leaves - what a great book!!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    I believe it is John Charles Daly. :P

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Appropriate construction of articulate sentences is of little or no value anymore..........

Well duh..........like, whatever dude!

:shades:
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,245
    Well done! I noticed that myself, but the edit function had timed out.

Another person who could construct coherent complex sentences was/is William F. Buckley, whether one agrees with his politics or not.
    Another person who could construct coherent complex sentences was/is William F. Buckley ...

Oftentimes, Buckley had all of us running to the dictionary to look up some obscure word but made up for it by allowing us time to do so with his dramatic pauses. :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,615
    He does a great imitation of an intellectual.

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Well done! I noticed that myself, but the edit function had timed out.

Posters don't use interrobangs that often.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,403
    Kirstie,

I have a degree in science, though I forsook it for my affinity to accounting. Ah well, that is what I get for having so many interests. :sick:
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    ...one thing I can't stand is the use of British English by Americans -- the most prominent examples being "amongst" and "whilst."

If you really are British, fine, but otherwise this sounds pretentious, like Buckley in his Boston Brahmin (?) accent.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    I like to use them in a deliberate attempt to sound pretentious, but it's only fun if it's on purpose. Otherwise you just sound like a prat :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,403
    'Amongst' is "British English?" :blush:

I shall not be dissuaded from using that word (whilst there is breath in my body). :P
    Do as thou wilt then.

• smithedsmithed Posts: 444
    When did "going forward" become the way of expressing "in the future"? I really dislike the former and hear and read it nearly every day. :mad:
    Just think of it as a paradigm shift. :)
    Whenever I hear ANYONE say "paradigm shift" I always ask "Oh, what was the OLD paradigm exactly that we are shifting from?"

• joe131joe131 Posts: 972
    affect
    effect

NOT interchangeable.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,043
    +1

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I always ask "Oh, what was the OLD paradigm exactly that we are shifting from?"

Wait, Kirstie, I'm sure he meant to say "...from which we are shifting." ;)
    That's one of those grammar rules to which 99% of the English speaking world pays no attention whatsoever, me included. I have no idea from where such a silly rule came. Probably from Germanic syntax or Latin, where the verb, on to the end of the sentence, is tagged.
    :P

lol... if it were any other thread, I never would have said a word.