Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grammar and the Peeves that Pet It

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    edited November 2010
    >Notice boards in the break rooms (which are never visited by the aforesaid middle and upper management), display amazing examples of ignorance in sentence construction, spelling, grammer, and a general lack of knowledge in regard to the correct meaning of words

Usually those get graded in red ink anonymously in some places. I recommend using your left hand in order to hide any handwriting or printing characteristics of the grader.

This message has been approved.

• I would think that turning in an illiterate resume and having a compromising photo of yourself on Facebook are not conducive to your future employment.

Unless of course you are in politics. :P
  • Oh goodness, yes - it's all about who you're with and what situation you're in. I don't worry about poor sentence structure or grammar when I'm texting, talking to friends, sending a quick email, or any of that. It's just important to know when to pull out the skills and be able to use 'em.

I think *some* tattoos are already accepted, but I'm thinking that if you get a spider web tattoo on your neck, that's not likely to be accepted in a professional, high-level customer interface position in our lifetimes. Even face piercings are more acceptable than they were, but turning your face into a tackle box is still likely to limit one's career potential, IMO.

xwesx, it's not working out that well for her. She's starting to learn to have others look over her resume and letters, and has decided that spell-check is her friend. She's just now starting to learn that the jobs you get when you've decided that you shouldn't have to conform to others' standards aren't that hot.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    Some of y'all couldn't care less, but I enjoyed this article in today's NY Times.

Which Language Rules to Flout. Or Flaunt?
  • Wow.... after that great exchange on grammar, which (that?) nearly put me to sleep, I notice 239 reader comments.. :surprise:

Geez....

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I think you mean "jeez".

"Geez" is an Ethiopian liturgical language :P
  • I trust those guys also know how many angels are in fact on the head of a pin?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    edited January 2013
    I think you mean "jeez".

Pretty sure you meant to say "meant". :P

Speaking of which..I'm guilty of geez myself sometimes, Im pretty sure..

Dang those technicalities..(no disrespect to the Ethiopian language of course)
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    "I've never seen or heard a 2014 Kia Forte TV commercial, and I haven't heard a Kia staffer say the name out loud. If I had they'd probably go for the haughtier for-tay because its sounds Frenchier, even though it isn't."

I just have to love an article about grammar and persnickety pronunciation in which a word like "Frenchier" makes it debut. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I don't have the integra to compose such an article - Santa Monica would sooner fall into the Pacifica before I could manage that. :shades:
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    has come back from the dead.

Unlike quite a few others.
    Gotta write 'em to get 'em.
    What does this mean? Mr.ÐMrs.

Does it mean Mr. and Mrs. ? I was filling out a form and did not want them to know the gender, and was surprised to see Mr.ÐMrs. as one of the options. I would feel a bit better about choosing Mr.+Mrs. had that been an option. Or maybe it means 'or'? Wanted to make sure it didn't mean Mr./sex change- to/Mrs. or some other such bizarreness..lol. (not that there's anything-Seinfeld- wrong with that) lol. This world we have now ya just never know what the new fang-dangled titles mean. I was feeling outta the possible new PC loop, haha

But also, this is a pet peeve of mine, when filling out a form, making one of those a MUST FILL box. It is not any of their business when I am enquiring about a car brand, if I am male or female.

I tried Googling my question and it was not as easy as one would think to find the answer. Many skirted around it but didn't really 'say' it meant 'and' or 'or'.
  • I'm thinking it's a miscode in the HTML on a website that inadvertently entered a character in place of the "or".
    I looked it up (didn't have a clue) and found it's an Old English character that doesn't seem to have any meaning all by itself.

Could be, although I thought I had seen this on more than one site in the past.
    Thanks
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    edited October 2013
    my list of followed boards, I saw this one and thought I'd take a trip down memory lane.

Lots of good posts in the early days and, unlike so many other boards that are deader than Elvis, many of the people who posted at the beginning are still active. Pat (RIP) is an exception, but there are several familiar names.

My guess is that the number of casual visitors to this board and many (most?) others is way down. That, or the architecture of the site hides little treasures like this one. Either way, it's disappointing that boards like this that amused me (and others, perhaps) are becoming more and more rare.
    >That, or the architecture of the site hides little treasures like this one.

I had suggested long ago that Edmunds put random links to the obscure gems in their system like this one on the entry page, must as the Most Popular in Forums shows the most active discussions in terms of posts.

Maybe that's an upgrade that can be added in the future. It's some of the little oddities like this and things like Stories from the Sales Frontlines that make Edmunds really great for me. It's a big step above many of the forums that I frequent for my own specific car brand interests.

And don't forget the many good, good people who are here.

• In the new platform, we do have more capabilities to promote/highlight content, and that will largely be user-driven.

There's a separate "Best of" page there, where forums content is featured based on member "reactions" to posts. This means that if you see something interesting, funny, great, etc., you can give it a "like" or an "awesome." Content with the most positive reactions gets automatically featured on the Best of page.

Hosts can also promote content there with a one-click move, so once we get there, if you see something interesting, or that hasn't been featured in awhile, we can certainly get it to appear there.

>There's a separate "Best of" page there, w...
    you can give it a "like" or an "awesome."
    Content with the most positive reactions gets automatically featured on the Best of page.

That all sounds good. It will be worth the "teething pains" that will likely come with the turnover when the new platform gets here.