Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grammar and the Peeves that Pet It

1202122232426»

Comments

• Yes, and I wish we could skip the teething pains stage, but alas... it's like when anything technical changes. For example, every time Windows comes out with a new system, people hate it and want the old system. Eventually, that "new" system becomes the "old" system that people want to go back to. We'll all survive, and hopefully have some fun along the way.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Michaell@EdmundsMichaell@Edmunds ColoradoPosts: 1,143
    I've seen this forum over the years, but only yesterday did I decide to read through it.

From it, I decided to order "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" from Amazon (will arrive tomorrow).

I'm not a grammar wonk like some here, but I do try to be mindful of using the proper words and punctuation.

I admit I am a fan of parenthetical comments (see paragraph 2 above), and I've never had a problem with semi-colons and ellipses.

I learned early on in my professional career to avoid contractions - as a technical support person for computer software back in the late 80's and early 90's, the only method we had of dealing with our international clients was through fax machines. One of our customers was the Singaporean equivalent to the FBI, and when I used contractions in my faxes to them, they would respond with non comprehension.

One recent development I've seen within my company is the use of the prefix "re" being used with words it wasn't meant to be used with.

"We need to relook at this proposal", for example. Yikes!

michaell@edmunds.com

Moderator, Prices Paid and Leasing Experiences

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4