Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grand Cherokee CRD diesel

2»

Comments

• drudgerydrudgery Posts: 13
    Sorry so late - don;t check this one much any more. I'll find my original post from the Liberty forum but my wife and kids were t-boned at an intersection and totaled it. (Everyone is fine).
  • ghost_oneghost_one Posts: 11
    Hi all, Have had my diesel GC for a month now, very impressed with it, It was built Dec.08 in Detroit the last month they built them, at 100 k/h engine is turning at 2200 rpm, I find this a little high but with a 3.73 rear axle this accounts for it, I believe the export models have a lower ratio, like 3.55 in the city it has been returning 24 mpg Imp, with diesel costing .769 a liter.

2008.5 GC Laredo North Edition.
    Ont, Canada
  • coolridercoolrider Posts: 84
    Welcome to the forum! There is not many of us here, thankfully. I found this site when dealing with my Liberty CRD and its' woes of horror. Tell us about your JGC CRD. How did you find out what gear was in the rear end?
    I have the production sheet, it states that the rear axle ratio is 3.73 code DMEP..all GC diesels for North America are 3.73 a rather high ratio unless you tow a lot.
    The last diesel GCs made were 2008.5s last ones built Dec, 08. These are 2009 GC with 2008 emission certified diesel engines, hence 2008.5, to conform to 2009 specs they would have been required to have Urea exhaust injection i.e same as Mercedes Benz uses. I assume production stopped as they did not sell enough of them.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,903
    I would assume production stopped because Chrysler was ready for bankruptcy. I believe they closed all their plants at that time. If they did not meet the CA emissions they probably did not sell that many.. I test drove one in Hawaii and did not like the second row seats. So it was off my list two years ago. Just like Chrysler to do things half way. No wonder they are bankrupt.
    Chrysler went bankrupt on 30th April 2009, they are now out of bankruptcy and the plants are now reopening, Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country plant in Ontario Canada opens 29th June on 3 shifts, so the new Chrysler begins.
    The urea exhaust injection for 2009 does meet CA emission regulations for the 3 Liter diesel (Mercedes Benz sells this engine for 09 in CA), but appears Chrysler did not have enough sales to warrant the engineering expense for that system.
    You are correct the second row seating is tight.
    When the GC CRD first came out a dealer in Oregon offered me one for $42k. It was too much for too little compared to the Mercedes ML320 CDI. When I actually got to drive one in Hawaii, I was glad I did not make the leap of faith. There is no comparison between the two cars except the price was very close equally equipped. Since I assume the GC CRDs are selling for a lot less money.

I have driven the new GL320 CDI and liked most but the 7 speed transmission. It is the same running gear as the ML320 that would be the competitor for the GC CRD. Go sit in the ML and you will see just how much roomier it is. I really did not get a chance to wring either one out so it would be impossible to say anything about the handling. I have since learned that the transmission has two modes and I was in the Sport mode which I did not like.
  • Well i recently traded in my 03 ram 2500 2wd that got at least 21.5 mpg on the highway to a 2007 GC crd 2wd which gets luckly 19-21mpg on the highway. There is something wrong with this picture 3/4 ton truck to suv, cummins to mercedes, cast iron block to aluminum block. Honestly about all the complaints including my own, i believe the only thing needed is to purchase the 7 spd automatic transmission that mercedes makes for their cars equipped with the diesel and we would be getting the same good mileage that they get which is around the 25-32mpg. But...sigh...who has about 5-7k laying around to order one of those transmissions out of Berlin?
    There is always one way we can all go, to look in to getting the engine reprogrammed so it will be calibrated differently. The 07 has the mercedes 4spd automatic with overdrive, my opinion, when the transmission shifts from 4th to overdrive the rpm should go down to around 1900-2100rpm not shift from 2400 to 2400rpm which mine currently does. What is the purpose of overdrive when it isn't doing its job? I feel like i am driving a 97 Ford f350 crew cab 4x4 powerstroke automatic with the rpm numbers and mpg.
    Transmission and turbo recalibrated i believe will do the job, if it can be done.
    We can only blame Chrysler for the body problems, not the powertrain, that part is completely Mercedes.
  • Well sometimes after i post i go out and look to see if there is any thing i can do to fix the problem. I noticed an exhaust leak behind the turbo, i loosened the clamp and noticed the down pipe had not been aligned correctly. In order to align the pipe correctly i had to loosen the clamp at the down pipe/cat converter. It was an easy fix if you have the correct tools to fit in a tight space. Since then i am now getting 23.7mpg compared to previous 19-20 on the highway, city driving is in the 19-21 mpg. I can now say i am happy getting better mileage than what i got with my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins.

I apologize to Mercedes for my previous comment.
    That is something that should have been caught by the QC people at Jeep. Glad you are finally getting the benefit of a diesel engine.
  • Update on my 2008.5 Grand Cherokee diesel Laredo, I have had it for 5 months now and around town it gets 20 U.S mpg or 24 Imp mpg, now has 3,420 miles on it 5,503 k/m absolutely no problems so far on the whole vehicle.
    Note to you guys/girls with 2007-08 diesel GCs the oil change schedule for 2008.5 models is 12,500 Miles (20,000 km) or 12 Months (Not to be exceeded!!) there is no service "A" or "B" schedule. engine computer monitors engine use and will notify you by the EVIC (dash computer read out) if you should change your oil sooner than above schedule.

2008.5 GC Laredo diesel.
  • Thanks for your update. I have the 2007 2X4 Limited and the mileage is 18/22 with something like 8,000 miles on the odometer. Had a transmission leak and the dealer said that they have had problems with a plug in the tranny. Was repaired under warranty. Really have enjoyed the vehicle but the gas mileage should be much better for a diesel. As other have stated the Jeep needs one more gear. Still for a price of $19,999.00 it was the best vehicle for the money.
  • Mercedes is now using a 7 speed automatic with the 3L diesel, but we are stuck with the 5 speed Mercedes transmission, that 7 speed would have upped our fuel mileage. Also we have 3.73 ratio rear ends, a lower number there would have helped mileage to.
  • dan224dan224 Posts: 1
    I have a 08 diesel with a cooling system vibration. when the fan module kicks into
    high, it vibrates through the whole car. Dealer replaced the module, but it still
    shakes. Dealer says he can't do anything else as per chrysler. Car has 14000 miles. I really like the car. It's still under factory warranty. Any suggestions? Dan224
  • Good Evening:
    I'm looking for some assistance with the above codes. They are the result of the Electronic Throttle Control warning and check engine like coming on. I've been able to reproduce the codes and warnings with hard acceleration, but also with steady city cruising.
    I've reset the codes, numerous times, and also had the codes and check engine light reset themselves!
    I've run fuel dryer, and fuel conditioner twice, because i thought I picked up a tank of bad diesel, without results. Latest has been to replace the fuel filter. The codes apparently refer to high and low pressure at the solinoid on the fuel rail. Of course Chrysler won't just sell the solinoid and would prefer I spend $1000 for a new fuel rail.
    Has anyone run into this issue with the diesel?
    your assistance is appreciated.
  • coolridercoolrider Posts: 84
    Sold it back under lemon law.
  • We have also just got the Electronic Throttle warning light and then the check engine light came on. Just prior to this happening the engine RPM was surging slightly similar to a TPS sensor failure on a gas engine. We bought our 2008.5 Grand Cherokee diesel in April, 2009 and it now has 110,000 kms of highway driving on it.

The dealer says the turbo failed and that there is a wiring harness that runs through the engine that has suffered water damage and shorted out.(Service writer may not have provided accurate description). the only water this JEEP has ever seen is from rainstorms. Anyway I am getting a little nervous. I bought the 5 year / 160,000 extended warranty. Looks like this would have been a big bill to swallow without warranty coverage.

We also had a transmission solenoid replaced recently(about $800 if not on warranty) and a front axle shaft splined section was not fully seated in the front differential and it spun leaving my wife stranded. that was also close to a $1,000 repair had warranty not covered it.

so I expect we will be somewhere in the $5,000 - $7,000 worth of warranty repairs in the last 8 months.

Might have to get rid of it while the warranty still has 20-30 k left on it.
  • toad74toad74 Posts: 1
    I am in the same boat as you are fitzdicksn, I bought my 2008.5 back in May of 2009 (because of my escape being a POS), and just the other month the ETC warning light began to flash along with the check engine light as well.
    Difference in my situation was that the Chrysler said it was the fuel intake actuator, and wasn't covered under warranty and I also bought the extended warranty too, but no dice.
    After getting it "fixed" and a significantly lighter waller, 17 days after I got it back, it is starting to act up again! The ETC light has come on and off twice and the check engine light is now on. This is actually making me quite fustrated. I can't wait to hear what Chrysler is going to tell me on this one!
  • brevansbrevans Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    My turbo also failed recently. Mine was a 2008 Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee

The problem was originally linked to the Positive Crankcase Ventillation (PCV) valve being clogged. However, what was discovered was that it is more likely that the turbo failed due to over servicing of the oil during oil changes, which then destroyed the PCV valve and blew out the seals to the turbo.

I've only had the vehicle serviced by Chrysler, but it's not a common car to work on. It is an easy mistake for a mechanic to over service a diesel engine, and if they do, it is worse than underservicing the engine! The engine oil will build up too much pressure and will blow out seals, not be allowed to cool properly, and will not lubricate your engine as designed.

I always check my engine oil level now immediately after an oil change, even by an authorized Chrysler mechanic. Don't let them tell you that more is better. More is worse and less is bad. Insist on proper maintenance.
  • Well we finally dumped this vehicle. It had 134,500 kms with warranty to 160,000 over the next 2 years. We loved the fuel economy, the towing ability, off road ability was great but would have improved with a lift kit and it was confortable. But after huge warranty repairs on the swirl valve, turbo and wiring harness due to a minor oil leak we decided we could not take the risk of keeping it. A crate engine is about $35,000 for this thing.

We concluded that the Mercedes engineers who designed the 3.0L CRD V-6 engine had consumed far too many Schnapps and Pilseners while designing this engine. There is just no excuse for some of the blunders they made when they put this one together.

In addition to the other noted problems in my earlier post we also had to rebuild the rear differential at 120,000 kms. My Oil sampling program showed it was going at about 90,000 kms but of course they would do nothing until it actually did fail.

That extended warranty I bought paid off in Spanish gold bullion. So now we stuff gasoline into a 2011 Ram Hemi truck.
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,796
    I own a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD and put a K&N air filter on it at about 17K miles. The first thing I noticed was a significant decrease in turbo lag. Fuel economy did not change and the filter needed to be cleaned yearly.
  • 10speeddiesel10speeddiesel Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I have a 2007 Jeep grand cherokee diesel, 49.000 miles. The chrysler service center tells me I need to replace the turbo, that it is getting ready to fail. Thay showed me the intake side of the turbo and ask me to put my finger on the end of the shaft and try to move it. I did and the shaft did move slightly. Was told there should be no movement at all. Dont know! Other than that it all looked good. It is a $5,000.00 repair. Should it be replaced, the jeep runs good and no sounds.
  • Did they find the problem during servicing or was there a problem? What was the result? Do you have any idea why the turbo failed so early. I am considering buying a used CRD and wondering what issues I should be looking for.
    Any help would be appreciated,
  • Well its 2013 and my 07 GC CRD is doing great. Never been to the shop for anything. Everything still works which is saying a lot in Fla and the corrosive salt environment. All the trim still shines along with the paint. Fuel economy has paid for the diesel and then some. Can tow anything on wheels. Much better experience than my Liberty CRD, still miss it though. I was reading about turbo failures and that's scary, mine has no leaks so far. I have maintained its oil carefully with only the prescribed Mobile One Turbo Diesel Oil now at some Walmart thankfully. Never had an all wheel full time system before and have grown to appreciate this great feature in sand and ice/snow as well as wet oily highways. Once left an Escalade 4x4 at the bottom of a long snowy incline, it made me proud of my oil burner Jeep. Wish I had waited for an 08' with the fancier nav system but I will trade that for a trouble free vehicle anytime. Now here comes the 13' GC Diesel again by Fiat. I have never liked Fiat because of the X19 and overall cheap look of older Fiats. If Hyundai and Kia can change then maybe Fiat can too!
2»