Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Toyota/Lexus Hybrids (Prius 2.0, Camry, Lexus 600h, etc.)

2»

Comments

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Toyota has the "Estima" hybrid minivan in Japan, and has had it for several years.

Click here for more info on the Estima

I cannot for the life of me understand their reticence to do it as a Sienna in the USA.

Confusing as heck !!!
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    If you stick the 2.4 hsd in sienna, you get your estima. minivans w/o v6 don't sell in the US, unfortunately. Looking at the link, it seems the hybrid will improve the mpg by about 25% over the 3.5l. I think they will bring it out if the next gen ody comes with a diesel option.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    A Sienna hybrid with the I4 but with a Miller Cycle using a positive displacement variable speed Supercharger. Use an E-CVT with a engine drive belt into one end and a permanent magnet AC synchronous motor at the opposite, ~3:1 reduction, end.

A variable frequency drive to the AC motor would allow complete, full range, engine throttling without a throttle butterfly valve. No boost would be provided unless extraordinary level of power were asked for.

Note that the 2.3L Twin-turbo engine in the Acura RDX produces 240HP. In comparison a hybrid Miller Cycle 2.3L I4 SC'ed as above (NO Turbo LAG) would only need to produce about 200HP w/full boost in order to match the performance of the RX400h.

A 40MPG Sienna....?
2»
This discussion has been closed.