Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Toyota/Lexus Hybrids (Prius 2.0, Camry, Lexus 600h, etc.)

2»

Comments

• drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    that will get you similar performance, and maybe 4-5 MPG less, but for $7-10k less, I don't see a rush for Escape competitor.

DrFill
    First Ting: as has been reported on this site, the Lithium-Ion battery will NOT be ready for the 2009 Prius LAUNCH!

I would expect them to become available for a mid-gen refresh, which should accelerate sales nicely later on. ;)

And my #2: Toyota doesn't need to follow the beat of GM's drummer when it comes to the Tahow Hybrid.

Tahoe is a major cog in GM's portfolio, as the HL is for Toyota.

I don't expect a Tahoe to challenge the HL in this area. Remember, the HL Hybrid gains power AND economy. ;)

I would be surprised to see anything other than Sienna and Corolla as the next Hybrid candidates.

DrFill
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "we are looking for a compact SUV hybrid to come along -- other than the escape. hoping either honda or toyota show up with one -- anybody know anything on that??"

Honda has announced a "50-state" diesel engine for the CR-V, estimated for introduction in 2009. That would yield upper 30's on the highway, so I don't think a hybrid would be in the works for Honda.
  • hsd1hsd1 Posts: 1
    Where is the hsd design going in the Prius/camry... where is the technology headed in 10 years... what can make the technology lighter/cheaper/more stylish?
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    So the Camry hybrid is also a flop!

So currently the Camry doesn’t appeal very much,” Toyota’s chief designer, Wahei Hirai, told Automotive News. “They prefer Prius because, while they are driving in town, people can understand that the driver has more social awarene
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    If I am reading the WSJ article right, no Li-Ion before 2011 and maybe not then. Any new Hybrids are on hold till they can find a battery to replace the NiMH currently being used.
    I wouldn't call any Hybrids that does 50k a year a flop.

Civic Hybrid does about that, maybe less. I wouldn't consider that a flop.

They were speaking relative to the Prius, which is a huge success. These are in relative terms. :D

Is David Wright a flop compared to Alex Rodriquez?

DrFill
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Interesting how nobody has tried that yet....a hybrid minivan. Ford did a great job on the Escape Hybrid - you can hardly tell the batteries are even in there, the spare is still underneath, and you still have a decent floor in the back too. I would think the Sienna could be made to work with the Hybrid.....maybe engine bay space is a problem? :confuse:
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Toyota has the "Estima" hybrid minivan in Japan, and has had it for several years.

Click here for more info on the Estima

I cannot for the life of me understand their reticence to do it as a Sienna in the USA.

Confusing as heck !!!
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    If you stick the 2.4 hsd in sienna, you get your estima. minivans w/o v6 don't sell in the US, unfortunately. Looking at the link, it seems the hybrid will improve the mpg by about 25% over the 3.5l. I think they will bring it out if the next gen ody comes with a diesel option.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    A Sienna hybrid with the I4 but with a Miller Cycle using a positive displacement variable speed Supercharger. Use an E-CVT with a engine drive belt into one end and a permanent magnet AC synchronous motor at the opposite, ~3:1 reduction, end.

A variable frequency drive to the AC motor would allow complete, full range, engine throttling without a throttle butterfly valve. No boost would be provided unless extraordinary level of power were asked for.

Note that the 2.3L Twin-turbo engine in the Acura RDX produces 240HP. In comparison a hybrid Miller Cycle 2.3L I4 SC'ed as above (NO Turbo LAG) would only need to produce about 200HP w/full boost in order to match the performance of the RX400h.

A 40MPG Sienna....?
2»
This discussion has been closed.